Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Anthem at the Setanta cup final

• 22-04-2006 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Just sitting down to watch the Setanta Cup final here and the National anthem came on. As they dont usually play national anthems at Eircom league matches, I was just wondering if anyone knows what they would do if one of the Northern Ireland teams were playing in the Final?
    Dont play either national anthem or play both National Anthems?

I cant remember what happened last year! I dont know how well God save the queen would be welcome in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

National anthems at club games are amongst the worst idea's I've ever heard, especially in a club game between two teams from the same country.

International games is one thing but at the Setanta Cup final... gimme a break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    National anthems at club games are amongst the worst idea's I've ever heard, especially in a club game between two teams from the same country.

International games is one thing but at the Setanta Cup final... gimme a break.

Couldn't agree more but I'd agree with the national anthem being played for domestic cup finals however as with this case the Setanta Cup is an all-Ireland competition, teams from two countries invloved so the Irish national anthem really shouldn't be played.

Please don't get me started on politics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

I presume it would have been both anthems had a northren team been playing, i don't mind too much for cup finals, it ads that sence of occasion but not at every game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i think national anthems have a place in international finals, which is basically what the setanta cup is, albeit between 2 teams from the same nation this year

but i was more worried that practically none of the players seemed to know the words, or just didnt want to sing along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

even the fai cup final wouldn't bother me, the anthem isn't the exclusive rights of the GAA in irelands sporting events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Helix wrote:
    but i was more worried that practically none of the players seemed to know the words, or just didnt want to sing along

Yeah i noticed that as well. It wouldnt happen in many other countries. Even in the national team only a few players sing the natioanl anthem. Shay Given and Robbie Keane come to mind. But I suppose that is to be expected with the amount of english born players on the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

j22 wrote:
    Yeah i noticed that as well. It wouldnt happen in many other countries. Even in the national team only a few players sing the natioanl anthem. Shay Given and Robbie Keane come to mind. But I suppose that is to be expected with the amount of english born players on the team.
    It's actually only 1 or 2 that don't sing the anthem. Roy Keane and Andy O'Brien spring to mind. :)

Advertisement