Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocked loo

• 22-04-2006 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

My loo is blocked. I've tried plunging, caustic soda products, but nothing has worked. The landlady says it's my fault so I have to fix it. How much does it cost for a plumber to solve the problem? I'm hoping he won't arrive with the products that I've been using already! A permanent solution is necessary, not a temporary one!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

esperanza wrote:
    My loo is blocked. I've tried plunging, caustic soda products, but nothing has worked. The landlady says it's my fault so I have to fix it. How much does it cost for a plumber to solve the problem? I'm hoping he won't arrive with the products that I've been using already! A permanent solution is necessary, not a temporary one!
    one of my kids put too much toilet paper down 2 of the loos last week and blocked both of them.

One of them I poured half a bottle of MrMuscle sink & plug hole unblocker for half the day and when I got home it flushed through.
    The other was more difficult. I had to get a flexible bit of plastic that I pushed down and it bent in around the s-bend a few times. Be prepared for a bit of splash back. Poke it for a bit and that should clear it. Thats all the plumbers going to do anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

If you think it is just to much paper and etc etc your could put a large plastic bag around the head of a mop and use in a plunging action in the bowl.

If it's blocked with a plastic rim block cleanser you with have wait and see if the level drops and retrieve it.

Not one the best of jobs to do on a sunny sunday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

Well, I decided to try to unblock it myself. I think I've been flushing down too much toilet paper.

In an attempt to clear the blockage, I put on my rubber gloves, and stuck my hand down to try to clear out everything. While I got a fair bit of ****, the problem is not yet solved. I flushed the toilet and then it overflowed, so now things are worse than ever! I will wait until the water goes down again (I just hope it will) and then try to clear out more **** again. But I do think I will end up having to get a professional in.

Well, I'll never be flushing toilet paper down my loo again, that's for sure.

go to B&Q and see if they have anything that will get right down the s-bend. Your hand is only gonna go so far and to be honest you don't want to get it stuck in there:eek:

Then you can keep it for future use...

Try the plumbing section

Yes, will see what tools are in my local DIY store. Only realised that there was an S-bend in the toilet today.

How much would it cost on average for a plumber to unscrew (or whatever) the whole toilet to get rid of the blockage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

If you have a power washer use it, put the head of the hose into the bowl as tight to the s bendas you can get, use it at full power and u will find all the water is sucked out of the bowl, keep the unit going at full power and it will force the blockage out. Make sure the head of the hose/handle is under the water and right up to the bend as far as can go this will prevent splash back but a cover over the toilet will help but not necessary. Works on shores also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

If you really wana get your hands in there, get a bin liner (making sure there are no holes in it) and cover your whole arm with it. Reach in and around the s bend and pull the blockage out, keeping yourself clean and dry in the process.

This usually worked whenever a toilet blocked in a bar I used to work in. Not a nice job though.

faigs wrote:
    If you really wana get your hands in there, get a bin liner (making sure there are no holes in it) and cover your whole arm with it. Reach in and around the s bend and pull the blockage out, keeping yourself clean and dry in the process.

This usually worked whenever a toilet blocked in a bar I used to work in. Not a nice job though.

Impossible to do this, as well as dangerous. thanks anyway!

faigs wrote:

I wouldn't recommend this....last thing you wanna do is get your hand stuck.

It's not too hard to remove the toilet.

Tie up the ball cock, flush and wait a few mins.

Loosen off the 2 screws securing the loo to the floor, both wing nuts securing the pan to the cistern and pull the whole bottom pan out. Have a bucket under the back end where it seals to the waste pipe.

Bit of a mess, but might save you a bit.

Try the DIY store first and see what they have...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

If possible look outside there maybe a rodding eye on the soil stack, if not follow the soil stack to ground level there should be an AJ (Armstrong Junction) like a small manhole.

Check if the main sewer is blocked first and work back to the WC, there's no point in trying to clear a blockage at the bowl if it's further down the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

It's not clear whether you are in an apartment or a house?

If you're in a house as Roofer Pete says there could be a blockage in the main sewer drain leading from the house. You'll usually know by opening the manhole outside the house (it will be overflowing if there's a blockage further down the pipe).

As mentioned you can work back towards the toilet if the 'out' portion of the pipe is ok.

If it's an apartment and you're the only one affected it's probably blocked at the toilet. It's quite easy to take apart and clear at the junction behind the toilet bowl.

Reyman wrote:
    It's not clear whether you are in an apartment or a house?

If you're in a house as Roofer Pete says there could be a blockage in the main sewer drain leading from the house. You'll usually know by opening the manhole outside the house (it will be overflowing if there's a blockage further down the pipe).

As mentioned you can work back towards the toilet if the 'out' portion of the pipe is ok.

If it's an apartment and you're the only one affected it's probably blocked at the toilet. It's quite easy to take apart and clear at the junction behind the toilet bowl.

I went to my local DIY store and bought some metal device they recommened. I tuck it in agood bit in the S-bend, but to be honest there seemed to be no blockage, so my guesses are that the blockage is further down. Will have to get a plumber in asap, as I am moving out shortly so need to get the problem fixed properly.

Advertisement