Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classy Mourinho

• 22-04-2006 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭

This obsession with Liverpool is bordering on ridiculous. All season long - and last season - he's been bleating on about them, how they're a lucky team, a defensive team, they do not worry him, etc etc.

Now, rather then congratulate Liverpool on their win today (or god forbid shake Rafa's hand after the match) he feels the need to come out with this rubbish:
    Jose Mourinho fuelled his feud with Rafael Benitez after Liverpool beat Chelsea 2-1 at Old Trafford to reach the final of the FA Cup.

The rival managers did not shake hands after the match and Mourinho once more refused to acknowledge that Liverpool were worthy winners, just as he had done after the Merseysiders knocked Chelsea out of the Champions League last season.

Mourinho said: 'Did the best team win today? I don't think so. In the last 30 minutes we deserved extra time.

'In the first half nobody was better. They had a good start to the second half but then we dominated the game. I cannot wish them luck in the final. Middlesbrough and West Ham will be there and I must respect them.'

There was precious little respect for Liverpool, however, who have now won two of their last 10 matches against Chelsea, crucially both semi-finals in the Champions League and the FA Cup.

Mourinho, however, does not believe it is a sign that Liverpool can challenge for the Barclays Premiership title next season.

He said: 'In the Premiership they have no chance. Over 40 matches no chance. Maybe they will surprise me and they can do it.

'But in 10 matches against us they have won twice. In the Premiership the distance between the teams is 45 points over two seasons. We beat them in a final, they beat us in two semi-finals. A psychological advantage? I don't think so.

'In four matches in the Premiership we beat them four times.'

He added somewhat mischievously: 'I wish them luck for their qualification match in the Champions League.'

It was another sour post-match performance from Mourinho who Benitez confirmed did not want to shake hands at the end of the match.

Benitez said: 'I was with our supporters at the end and I could see him but he didn't want to.

Is he playing mind games or does he feel that insecure about Liverpool and Benitez? Why doesn't he talk about United and Ferguson half as much?

Or is he just an arrogant, graceless child?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Ardent wrote:

Or is he just an arrogant, graceless child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think this is part of the 'Iberian Issue' the Portugese often feel in the shadow of Spain and frequently resent them for it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

mike65 wrote:
    I think this is part of the 'Iberian Issue' the Portugese often feel in the shadow of Spain and frequently resent them for it.

Mike.

:eek: Yeah I`m sure thats what it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

He just likes to play games, at least it brings some personality to the EPL

Adox, you think I'm joking? Check this if you need any convincing.

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:qLlobtWVCkEJ:newropeans-magazine.org/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26task%3Dview%26id%3D2161%26Itemid%3D87+iberian+peninsula+portugal+spain+relations&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&client=opera

Even mentioning Portugal and Iberian Peninsula in the same sentence will get you a scowl (its a bit like the 'mainland' controversy with Ireland/Britain).

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Adox, you think I'm joking? Check this if you need any convincing.

http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache:qLlobtWVCkEJ:newropeans-magazine.org/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26task%3Dview%26id%3D2161%26Itemid%3D87+iberian+peninsula+portugal+spain+relations&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&client=opera

Even mentioning Portugal and Iberian Peninsula in the same sentence will get you a scowl (its a bit like the 'mainland' controversy with Ireland/Britain).

Mike.

I`m well aware of the Portugal/Spain thing Mike,but I find it incredible that you think thats the reason that Mourhino is being so ungracious about Liverpool.
    Hes ungracious to most teams that beat them.Hes just a very bad and unsporting loser.

I think he reserves something special for Rafa, just as Rafa will take an extra
    moment to rile Maureen, he's such a nice man with everyone else!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

adox wrote:
    Hes ungracious to most teams that beat them.Hes just a very bad and unsporting loser.

this season Chelsea lost to Liverpool, Boro, Utd, Barcelona, Fulham and Real Betis.

JM didn't do anything particularly ungracious to Fergie, Mc Laren or Coleman (and I can't remember the Betis aftermath).

So if by "most" you mean Liverpool you're right. :rolleyes:

As a chelsea fan I'm quite happy to see him get annoyed and pissed off I'm happy to know that he feels something of the annoyance I do when we manage not to beat the scousers when it seems to matter the most. Then again it wouldn't bother me if he gave him a big hug either.

growler wrote:
    this season Chelsea lost to Liverpool, Boro, Utd, Barcelona, Fulham and Real Betis.

As a chelsea fan I'm quite happy to see him get annoyed and pissed off I'm happy to know that he feels something of the annoyance I do when we manage not to beat the scousers when it seems to matter the most. Then again it wouldn't bother me if he gave him a big hug either.

Being pissed of is one thing,but coming out with the excuses,accusations and damn lies that he does is just not acceptable.

Hes ultimatly making a fool of himself and belittling the game in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I'm finding the novelty of Mourinho's arrogance wearing off very fast. Funny at the begining but now he's transformed from an amusing arrogant man to an arrogant sore loser of a man who's feeling the heat.

Failure to win something else (Champions League or FA Cup) along with the Premiership next season may well cost him his job and he knows it.

• Advertisement

adox wrote:
    Being pissed of is one thing,but coming out with the excuses,accusations and damn lies that he does is just not acceptable.

Hes ultimatly making a fool of himself and belittling the game in general.

I thought you were annoyed by his ungracious behaviour.

A manager can't make excuses ?

What accusations and lies are you referring to ?

Did anyone notice Wenger and Jol being all pally today they even kissed at the end I believe !

growler wrote:
    I thought you were annoyed by his ungracious behaviour.

I am.His lies and accusations arent ungracious?
    growler wrote:
    What accusations and lies are you referring to ?

I`m referring to all of them!
    growler wrote:
    Did anyone notice Wenger and Jol being all pally today they even kissed at the end I believe !

True and its not the first time that Wenger has behaved that way but the thread title is Classy Mourhino not Classy Wenger.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

JM didn't do anything particularly ungracious to Fergie, Bruce or Coleman (and I can't remember the Betis aftermath).

imo, he licks fergies ass because united havent been the most popular team around during their period of success, so he thinks if he acts all pally with fergie it will get the people that dont like fergie on his back aswell, he thrives on being unpopular and winning.

he acts like he's colemans friend because he has pitty for him and is patronising him by giving him praise when everyone else can see he's on the brink of being sacked. he thinks praise from him is something special and holds some weight with everyone.

steve bruce bought forsell off him, i'd be friends with him aswell if i was mourinho.

basically, he's ungracious in defeat and arrogant in victory. a trait that one of his buddys employed during the 90's during a time of success to great annoyance.

i think he wants rafa to come out and say "i'd LOVE it if we beat them, love it!"

surely as JM's psychiatrist you're breaking your confidentiality agreement by exposing the inner workings of his psyche on boards ...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

surely as JM's psychiatrist you're breaking your confidentiality agreement by exposing the inner workings of his psyche on boards ...

well at least u awknowledge he needs one

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

el rabitos wrote:
    well at least u awknowledge he needs one
    ROFFLE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

LMAO.....nice comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He doesn't say bad things about United because United don't say bad things about him.

Just before the match Benetiz came out and said:
    "It's very simple, they have spent more money than anyone else on players," said Benitez. "Abramovich has done a fantastic job with his team.

So what the hell do you expect? What goes around comes around.

IMO there is nothing that MOurinho has said in that interview which isn't mostly true. I don't agree with him about the first half, but for the rest of it, I agree, and so would most people who aren't Chelsea nor Liverpool fans.

Mourinho respects Fergie. Fergie respects him. That's why there is no tit for tat between them. It's also why Fergie and Wenger are always are each others throats, cause neither of them respect the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Didn't Fergie and Maureen have handbags when Porto knocked United out of the CL a few seasons ago?

But anyway, he's a child, he sounds like a broken record, and it's not that funny anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

isnt it against the charter to refer to managers and players by silly names.
    i expect a few bannings wil lbe handded out to those memebers who have been here long enough to know these things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

isnt it against the charter to refer to managers and players by silly names.
    i expect a few bannings wil lbe handded out to those memebers who have been here long enough to know these things...

I think you need to chill out. The term child refers to immaturity rather than name-calling.

PHB: I think Benitez's comments were in response to Mourinho's routine put-down of Liverpool in mid-week.

I don't know if he should be sacked if he doesn't win either the CL or FA Cup next season, as was posted earlier, but winning the Premiership with the millions Ambromovich has pumped into that team is no major achievement on the part of Mourinho. The English league is so weak it would be impossible not to win it with the players at his disposal. Even Tinkerman brought the club to second in the league in Abromovich's first season at the club, with a fraction of money that has been spent since.

Maybe Mourinho knows that, maybe that's Benitez was referring to, and maybe that's why he can't accept defeat in other competitions (his behaviour after both legs against Barcelona was a new new low point for example).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

WWM is correct.

No need for personal abuse from the charter you agreed to abide by to post here.
    Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at groups of fans or sports personalities people will not be tolerated. We reserve the right to edit/move/delete such posts as we see fit and issue bans to the poster of such. The basic rule is keeping it civil; you can have friendly banter without resorting to persona

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Call him maureen is considered personal abuse now? Great...

His comments dont bother me. However i always think its bad form not to shake a managers hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

It only sweetens the taste of victory to know it upsets him so much.

and of course - the oh so perfect response from Benitez...

On Mourinho's comments, Benitez merely added: "I have heard the same things before the Champions League games. We are in the final of the FA Cup and I must give credit to players and not talk about the other team."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

IMO at the root of this is the fact that Liverpool could have had him before he went to Chelsea but rejected him.

Chip.
    Shoulder.

Perfectly understandable. If I were him ( :rolleyes: like that's ever gonna happen) I'd probably feel the same.

He's a classic personality type. 'Failure' just isn't in his vocabulary. He can't help it - it's just the way he is. More to be pitied I suppose.

I don't like his manners. (Somehow I don't think he's worried...)

I'm just glad he's not manager of Liverpool FC.

shabbyroad wrote:
    IMO at the root of this is the fact that Liverpool could have had him before he went to Chelsea but rejected him.

huh , I never knew this , fasciniating , when did this happen exactly ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,060 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Im not sure that they actually officially rejected him persay, but i do remember him being bandied around as one of the possible replacements for houllier, but it was always clear Benitez was first choice. Having said that he was always more strongly linked with Chelsea anyway so id say he'd have probably gone there regardless. might wrankle him a bit to know that he was still only Liverpools 2nd or 3rd choice after benitez though maybe? As much as i dislike the guy (which is an awful lot) and think he's arragant, condesending and immature, he is a quality manager at the end of the day, and id be happy to see him leave chelsea as i think they wouldn't have that same confident swagger without him. Also glad he's not pool manager though, much happier with our gent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I wonder if Liverpool don't win the league in the next few years how much happier would you be with your "gent"? Would you prefer 3rds with a gent or top spot with an as you put it arrogant condescending immature manager?

I know which id prefer!

We will win it with him, and it won't require stolen russian money.

• Advertisement

I think Liverpool have more of a chance than Man U, reason being i think MUFC are in decline while the Pool are getting better, look at last season EC champs etc.

About time I think a strong Liverpool side is good for football in general, it was good to see them in the CL last year, and they'd be a team i'd pass a glance at in the EPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    :rolleyes:

In fairness, I can understand that he's frustrated with Liverpool. Watching them fluke their way through the CL last year and listening to the reaction of a manager that thought he deserved to be there must have been as irritating as listening to all the Liverpool fans bleeting about how how they are such a great team rofl!

And I think as far as this match is concerned, Mourinho tried to "outsmart" Benitez with this 4-4-2 team of solid players as opposed to his usual flair players in an attempt to counter Benitez's solid team structure. However, his 4-4-2 itself was rubbish as it has been for the last 3 games and he now knows that he lost to the inferior side because of his own tendancy to fiddle.

But sure what heals your ego like a quick swipe at the other manager eh? Especially after Benitez had started making his excuses even before the match had started with his "well done Roman" escapades.

Sure anyway, Wenger and Ferguson have been doing it for years. It's the usual football handbags.

Only difference with Mourinho is that he feels he has to say something after just about every match. And people are tired of it.

:rolleyes:

In fairness, I can understand that he's frustrated with Liverpool. Watching them fluke their way through the CL last year and listening to the reaction of a manager that thought he deserved to be there must have been as irritating as listening to all the Liverpool fans bleeting about how how they are such a great team rofl!

And I think as far as this match is concerned, Mourinho tried to "outsmart" Benitez with this 4-4-2 team of solid players as opposed to his usual flair players in an attempt to counter Benitez's solid team structure. However, his 4-4-2 itself was rubbish as it has been for the last 3 games and he now knows that he lost to the inferior side because of his own tendancy to fiddle.

But sure what heals your ego like a quick swipe at the other manager eh? Especially after Benitez had started making his excuses even before the match had started with his "well done Roman" escapades.

Sure anyway, Wenger and Ferguson have been doing it for years. It's the usual football handbags.

Only difference with Mourinho is that he feels he has to say something after just about every match. And people are tired of it.
    in all fairness football being the great leveler they did deserve the CL, for the simple fact the now have the CL.

And the fact remains they are currently a top european side, the defending CL champs and 3rd in one of the worlds most competitave leages. Their fans have something to crow about IMO

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

And I suppose all money liverpool have has been accumulated with the hightest moral standards in place?

Lets just say for a moment you don't win it? Have you even contemplated that? The CL win has put a level of expectation in place thats not true to form. Liverpool are about 5 or 6 players away from winning the league. How long does Rafa have before patience runs out?

but they were in the CL mix again this year, and they are there or there abouts in the EPL, 5-6 players away?

I'd think 2 at the most, look at the teams aound them:
    MUFC need a Midfield and center halfs
    AFC need more support players for henry, though when hey play well they are amazing
    Chlesea are great and can only get better with the money they have, though JM has shown that he's not this Jedi tactition he was made out to be

iregk - of course I take your point - everyone wants to see their team succeed - and yeah, perhaps we would prefer to win with a mananger whose behaviour is questionable than not win with a manager who always conducts himself with dignity.

But you know, liverpool have been successful with a manager who falls into the latter bracket, and at this point in time, I can only forsee more success.

• Advertisement

blu_sonic wrote:
    but they were in the CL mix again this year, and they are there or there abouts in the EPL, 5-6 players away?

MUFC need a Midfield and center halfs agree
    AFC need more support players for henry, though when hey play well they are amazing agree, but i think they are a maturing team that will get better with time
    Chlesea are great and can only get better with the money they have, though JM has shown that he's not this Jedi tactition he was made out to be nor is fergie but id didn't stop him

Ok Liverpool are going to finish 3rd and if it stays the same it will be 15 points off top spot. They were knocked out in the 2nd round of the CL. Considering United, Arsenal and Chelsea are all going to strenghten I think 2 players max is a tad optomistic from you. They need to replace Hyypia, get proper wide men. Two top quality strikers and I think a top class keeper altough they may get away with Reina.

I think Fergie showed his pedigree this year with a poor squad by his standards.

Liverpool:
    I think the keeper they have is quiet good, i don't see anyone around in their bracket to replace him
    Harry is class when he wants to be, but i think he's a lazy player TBH
    A new top class striker, a goal poacher is what they need, maybe fowler will get it together? Mori was a bit of a flop after all the expectation, crouch is good but workman like, i'd expect him to create a lot if they had a true finisher

so yeah 2 is optimistic but 4 tops, and maybe a few "squad" players

blu_sonic wrote:
    so yeah 2 is optimistic but 4 tops, and maybe a few "squad" players

We will compromise and shake on 4 so. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

blu_sonic wrote:

MUFC need a Midfield and center halfs
    AFC need more support players for henry, though when hey play well they are amazing
    Chlesea are great and can only get better with the money they have, though JM has shown that he's not this Jedi tactition he was made out to be
    I think this talk is quite funny. Talk about Utd being in decline etc, needing this many new players. Do you realise that this Utd in decline has more points at this stage than it did when we last won the league? Do you know that this Utd side has finisehd below Liverpool once in the league in the last 15 odd years. This talk is hilarious. Liverpool fans seem to be blind to the fact that Utd are continually out performing them in the league, whihch is the true barometer of a teams worth.

As for the actual topic, not shaking hands is just childish. That's the 2nd time in a matter of weeks. He's a very petulant childish man, in my opinion. I hope that doesn't constitute abuse, if so I'll gladly remove.

Well as I said in another post and hands up I don't know how true this is but... on the radio this morning a sports corispondant was saying that he didn't understand all the uproar about Jose not shaking hands as it was Benitez who walked away and out onto the pitch!!!

Now I didn't see the ending and I don't think that the beeb showed that part so did anyone else see what happened?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Im not sure that they actually officially rejected him persay, but i do remember him being bandied around as one of the possible replacements for houllier, but it was always clear Benitez was first choice.
    Talks went to an advanced stage but as soon as there was a chance of Benitez becoming available, he was dropped as an option. Mourinho made a point of contacting Liverpool to say that if he didn't hear from them he was going to accept the Chelsea offer.

blu_sonic wrote:
    I think Liverpool have more of a chance than Man U, reason being i think MUFC are in decline while the Pool are getting better, look at last season EC champs etc.
    The decline of Man Utd is a myth - as a team they are a few high quality players short of challenging Chelsea for the title. The same can be said of Liverpool and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I only heard/saw Mourinho's post match tirades yesterday (Sunday) in the media, as I didnt have time to stay with it after the match. He had (has) a serious case of sour grapes, which show's that Liverpool must be doing something right. Ironically, himself and Rafa were on reasonable terms at the start of their careers in England but with the clubs meeting so many times, with the closeness of the games, the controversy, and the scalps that Liverpool have had against them, you could say that Liverpool have been the main preventers of Chelsea getting the success that they crave. Thats a CL final and an FA Cup final they have prevented them from getting, and Liverpool deservedly should have done the same in the Carling Cup last year.

Liverpool were better on the day than Chelsea, the latter 20 mins or so is a deceptive perception trap. This was not a game that Liverpool stole.

When Mourinho came to England at the begining, I didnt like his style. I did warm to him slightly as some of the things he does say are true, but I dont think anyone would be a fan of him all time. I dont like what he says a lot of the time and his tirade over the weekend is yet another chapter of him being a person that you would not like to be with. If I was him, maybe he should take a leaf out of Alex Ferguson's repertoire and do less talking to the media.

And his approach contrasts significantly with Rafa, who is usually a gentlemen even when facing difficult times. Rafa is humble, Mourinho certainly is not. Chosen One, that must get up everybody's nose at some point.

Wenger also lost his cool over the weekend, the pressure is getting to these guys, thats for sure.

redspider

iregk wrote:
    Ok Liverpool are going to finish 3rd and if it stays the same it will be 15 points off top spot. They were knocked out in the 2nd round of the CL. Considering United, Arsenal and Chelsea are all going to strenghten I think 2 players max is a tad optomistic from you. They need to replace Hyypia, get proper wide men. Two top quality strikers and I think a top class keeper altough they may get away with Reina.
    Two top quality strikers are not required to win the league. Liverpool are short a quality wide player for the right of midfield and a quality striker with pace for the first team.

Hyypia has been immense this season and certainly doesn't need replacing yet. Central defense is one area that the club don't need to strengthen.

"they may get away with Reina" :confused:
    Himself and Cech are the two best keepers in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

decline ? of course it is. Nothing to be ashamed of: Man U have done well but it is accurate to say 'decline'. Unless you believe that their achievements of the past few seasons match what they did at the end of the 90s ?

This whole Mourihno thing is pisssing me off: instead of reporting on the tactical win by Benitez we're reading about supposed insults and half-arsed complaining from the Chelsea manager.

Bannor wrote:
    The decline of Man Utd is a myth - as a team they are a few high quality players short of challenging Chelsea for the title. The same can be said of Liverpool and Arsenal.

I agree with Bannor, Man U are not a team in decline. 2nd in the league doesnt lie.

I think there was a good thread on this a couple of months back, the resurgence of Man U. Its clear that the midfield area and up-front changes have produced better results. But we are probably talking about the correction of bad mistakes in midfield and an unlikely decision that is working for Ferguson up front.

By this I mean the replacement of Smith and Fletcher in midfield (who were the replacments of Roy K, Scholes and Butt), with O'Shea and Giggs. Ferguson tried to convert Smith to a midfielder, but it didnt work. Fletcher is just not good enough. And Giggs conversion to midfield is not the first time that a winger has succesfully converted to central midfield, ala MacManaman. Park is a great addition as well and defensive short-comings were plugged with some new signings.

But up-front is the biggest surprise change, with effectively the dropping of van Nistelrooy for the more energetic Saha, who is better suited to Rooney. It is hard to believe that one of the best poachers, a classis finisher in and around the box has been dropped from Man U, but that is what has happened. Its done to accomdate Rooney, thats for sure, but its also the most effective for the team. I think all followers of football would have to look at this and say well done, as it was a very brave decision.

Man U are not a team in decline. No team is perfect, they all have their nuances, players have certain styles and attributes and the challlenge is to set-up a team that gets the best from the players and get the results.

Chelsea have been doing that but have not had enough flair to win out in the CL. Arsenal's flair was working very well in the league until this season, but they didnt do it in the CL, yet this year it is working. Liverpool have bolstered their league consistency this year and can still do it in the cups, with a CL cup win, a Carling Cup final, and this year an FA Cup final.

I have no doubt that with Man Utd's financial resources, they probably spend 2nd to Chelsea in the English league, they can only continue to do well even if half-ass managed, and Ferguson/Quieroz and t current club management and executives have done well in steering so far and are likely to continue to do so. The decline of Man U is not on the horizon .....

redspider

I think this talk is quite funny. Talk about Utd being in decline etc, needing this many new players. Do you realise that this Utd in decline has more points at this stage than it did when we last won the league? Do you know that this Utd side has finisehd below Liverpool once in the league in the last 15 odd years. This talk is hilarious. Liverpool fans seem to be blind to the fact that Utd are continually out performing them in the league, whihch is the true barometer of a teams worth.

As for the actual topic, not shaking hands is just childish. That's the 2nd time in a matter of weeks. He's a very petulant childish man, in my opinion. I hope that doesn't constitute abuse, if so I'll gladly remove.
    Im not a Liverpool fan. I'm making an objective observation, MUFC have finshed the season remarkably well, with the correct additions they may challenge again, but i think the momentum is on Liverpools side, look at both teams 5-10 years ago, were they as close to each other as they are now? Liverpool are steadily progressing, Man U seem to be slipping slightly. Though that said I think Fergie has done wonders with what IMO is a weak MUFC team.

Sorry I just noticed I've brought this way off topic. I won't post Man U/L'Pool in this again, sorry

blu_sonic wrote:
    Liverpool are steadily progressing, Man U seem to be slipping slightly. Though that said I think Fergie has done wonders with what IMO is a weak MUFC team.

So when Liverpool finished second a few seasons back and only third now is this still progress or are liverpool in decline?

United are not in decline, they are had a blip or a stall as you may say but are very much back in the business now. The league doesn't lie. United are Chelsea's closest challengers and will be again next season. In my opinion it will be Liverpool and Arsenal fighthing it out for 3rd and 4th next season.
    Bannor wrote:
    "they may get away with Reina" :confused:
    Himself and Cech are the two best keepers in the Premiership.

please. Cech and Given are the two best in the prem. Reina is a great shot stopper but everything else he looks uneasy on. Thats why I have my reservations about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

shabbyroad wrote:
    This whole Mourihno thing is pisssing me off: instead of reporting on the tactical win by Benitez we're reading about supposed insults and half-arsed complaining from the Chelsea manager.
    Deflection. It's what Mourinho does best. He should be getting torn to shreds over his woeful team selection but instead, everybody is talking about his post match comments.

You're right Bazmo. Its what he has been doing quite well throughout the season, neither talking about players performances nor his but always something else (when they lose). In his eyes, its always the better team which loses when Chelsea lose. Strange that. He never blames his players, well rarely. He has the odd go, for example at Carvalho early in the season and Gallas was it.

Wenger is doing the same thing with his spat with Spurs over the goal incident. Clearly he is deflecting, as for the match as a whole Spurs deserved the draw, and only for some Henry brilliance Arsenal would have been beaten. The fact that he left Henry on the bench is whats known as selective memory which Wenger and Mourinho are masters of. They live in their own world, for the benefit of the team and the 'mind games'. Honesty in football doesnt pay, as Didier Drogba found out when he 'didnt' admit to cheating and using his hand.

Managers know what they are doing when they are deflecting with the blame-game tactic, and its what makes many post-match interviews with managers and indeed some players a waste of time, as they trot out the same thing time-and-time again.

I do like to see them suffering though, as both Wenger and Mourinho did over the weekend. Neither can take dissapointment like real men, alas.

redspider

• Advertisement
Advertisement