Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men doing sunbeds.... what do you think??

• 23-04-2006 2:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

well i dont know about u but ive heard a lot of guys are doing this purely for vanity purposes... anyone have any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MrSinn

Gay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as long as they have speedo's on they fine by me*

*that was a joke!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

rsta wrote:
    well i dont know about u but ive heard a lot of guys are doing this purely for vanity purposes...
    What other reasons do people use sun beds for?

other than certain skin disorders...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

To be perfectly honest, I think anyone using them, whether they be male, female or in between, is an idiot (don't mind me, I'll just sit on the fence here :p). Ok so going on holidays and looking like a milk bottle for the first few days isn't that appealing, but that's what false tan is for if you're that bothered about it.... Sunbeds aren't worth the risks associated with them imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well sunbeds are very bad for you, man or woman.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I know a lot of people (some of them in their 20's) who got ill as a result of excess sun exposure, so from that point of view I consider them horrible for either men or women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Manolo Blahnik

Noooo That thought is horrible
    I like pale Irish looking lads or j'know whats even better

Italian mens skin - sallow skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Nobody should do sunbeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Quite odd - and certainly worse than a woman using one. There's a stand-up tanning machine in the changing room of a gym I use, and I always find it odd when I see a bloke coming out of it. It's not just me either - everyone else gives them funny looks too (also, it's always the ugliest, pastiest, flabbiest feckers that use them - as if anyone's going to look at them because they're a little less pasty?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Sunbeds should rarely (if ever!) be used by anyone! Particularly Irish people. I mean is getting skin cancer worth being a little tanned (well burnt for a lot of people) in the summer. If you really want to be tanned go out in the sun in the summer but don't sunbathe excessively either.
    And I know it sounds sexist but there's just something about a guy who uses a sunbed that's really naff! And faketan. I would prefer a pale guy to a vain orange guy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

First thing I think of is skin cancer.. whether its a guy or girl using them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Sunbeds are just so unbelievably bad, I can't believe people in this day and age are still so retardedly stupid as to use one. I've never used a sunbed, and I never will. I'm quite pale but y'know, I'd prefer to be natural than fake. I don't use fake tan either - find it too much bother. Besides, the tan you get from a sunbed is orange in colour anyway, it just looks stupid and so obvious that you were on a sunbed. Why would anyone want to give themselves skin cancer? People can be so stupid sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

What difference does it make if a man or a woman uses them?

And they don't automatically give you skin cancer.

Irish people don't get enough sun imo. Less than before now that we work in offices and sit in cars to get there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

People don't need that much sun.
    I live in Florida and everyone is obsessed with tanning. It's like a sport here. Florida has tanning salons in every town - sunbeds are incredibly popular. Florida also has one of the highest skin cancer rates in the world. I neither lie out on the beach nor go to tanning salons. I want my skin to age gracefully. Talking a thirty minute walk outside is usually all the sun you need in a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

base2 wrote:
    And they don't automatically give you skin cancer.

They may not automatically give you skin cancer, but they sure as hell ain't doing anything healthy to your skin, are they? Sunbeds damage skin, causes it to age prematurely, and could lead to skin cancer. And too much sun or sunbeds causes wrinkles.

I'd prefer to be pale for the rest of my life with little or no wrinkles than to be tanned up to the gills and be shrivled up by the time I'm 35. No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

MrSinn wrote:
    Gay

ditto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Betsy79

sunbeds are not my thing anyway! i'd rather recommend a summerholiday in italy or spain, or somewhere hot!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It'll age your skin so much quicker than it should, so it's deffo not worth it in the long run.

I'd love to see the lads who've called it a gay thing to do, to say that to the pro bodybuilders and the numerous bouncers who use them down my gym...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

MrSinn wrote:
    Gay

Sorry maybe it's just too early in the morning but I don't see where you are coming from? any chance of explaining how you link a sunbed to being gay.

Personnally, I'd never use that (amybe it's because I'm straight??), apart from the increased risk of skin cancer it pretty much knackers your skin, take a look at Margaret Heffernan, years on a sunbed and skin like leather.

With regard to fake tan on men or women, apart from the hassle of evenly applying it, I've no problem with that, tans (once they are not over done) do IMO look better.

EDIT: Mods, maybe I am just moaning i don't mean to, everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'd don't have a problem with that, but surely something should eb said to various posters on this thread.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

BigWilly wrote:
    faggots

Very mature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

What's with sunbeds in Chartbuster video shops? I've never really got that whole video shop / sun bed connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

Personally I think that girls who do them are silly, irresponsible, vain & (eventually) leathery.
    The only difference with guys who do it is that they'd probably be called 'gay' for it as well as the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

nah man, its right up there with shaving your chest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

It's about as masculine as shaving your labia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I've no problem with them, I've done them in the past after my gym workout. Odd how I didn't turn gay, if the aboves posts are to be believed. I'm pasty white now, looking forward to a natural tan this summer.

Advertisement