Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDs tax cut plan

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Cork wrote:
    Is there anything in this country taxed more than labour?

Do you not understand the difference between nominal and effective tax rates?
    Cork wrote:
    When you add PRSI + Tax.

And after you subtract exemptions and credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Victor wrote:
    shes been in government for 9 years now.

Oh and tell me why the government hired 14,000 extra people in the run up to the last election?

We have seen reform in the system. Health Boards are no more. We nolonger have the sight of County Councillers sitting on Health Boards claiming expenses.

The Government did triple health spending. But what we did not get was either value for money or better services.

Nursing is now a degree level qualification - what has this meant to the paient. What extra responsibilities do they have?

Consultants and their private practices?

The system needs reform & it has to deliver value and better services.

What are 14,OOO doing - If they are doing nothing - they should be let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Zaphod wrote:
    Do you not understand the difference between nominal and effective tax rates?

I do - But Labour is still massively taxed.

Out of that people pay VAT on their net income (some foodstuffs carry zero vat)

My point being - people on 20K should not be paying tax.

Tax reliefs and exemptions should be increased.

If you are a business - you can write the cost of a computer off aganist your tax. If you are an individual you can't.

You may be using that computer for education purposes.

Again, Paye Expenses allownce was dropped. Many employees have legitimate expenses in relation to their work and they are not allowed any tax deductions. eg. courses, tools, manuals, uniforms etc.

My overall point is that after all reliefs - entry into the tax net is still at low income levels and the PDs tax plan makes a lot of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Bluffer overflow?
    Beautiful.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I haven't read through the rest of the posts after yours but shouldn't you have used the spellcheck?

Bluffer overflow?
    :D By jove you're right, the correction code must need more tweaking on this e-voting machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Cork wrote:
    I think Mary Harney is the Best Minister For Health that this country has had in some time.
    Not much competition there Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Cork wrote:
    I do - But Labour is still massively taxed.

In every international comparison that is available, Ireland has consistently lower taxes on income and higher indirect taxes than most countries in the developed world.

If labour is "massively" taxed as you claim, then how come Exchequer receipts for VAT are greater than those for income tax? By a massive €400M for January and February alone.

Cork wrote:
    My overall point is that after all reliefs - entry into the tax net is still at low income levels and the PDs tax plan makes a lot of sense.

Is the PD plan really a sensible plan for helping the lower paid? It will mean that someone on €20K will get a massive €17 per week extra. Meanwhile the bulk of the tax cut will be spent funding the reduction in the top rate from 42% to 40%, which will have zero benefit for those on €20K. Or €25K. Or €30K.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cork wrote:
    Again, Paye Expenses allownce was dropped. Many employees have legitimate expenses in relation to their work and they are not allowed any tax deductions. eg. courses, tools, manuals, uniforms etc.
    Really, when was this?

Advertisement