Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car vibrating/revving when stopped

Options
  • 23-04-2006 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi,

I am recently having this problem with my car. When I am stopped in traffic or at lights, my car starts vibrating, and the rev counter starts going. It gets so bad it cuts the engine out. Any one else experienced this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bad idle. Which could be caused by a number of things.

What is your car and engine type?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mike65 wrote:
    Bad idle. Which could be caused by a number of things.

What is your car and engine type?

Mike.
    exactly, we don't want to suggest one thing, when a number of things can cause this....

sticky throttle valve
    failing mass air flow meter
    leaking vacum line
    spark plug
    HT Lead

to name a few

Have you noticed any loss of power?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

sorry should have said Fiat Brava 1.2L. Haven't noticed any loss of power but defintely isn't driving that smooth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

sasser check this thread here

Mike.

thanks Mike - very interesting read. Going to drop it in to mechanic this week and see what he can do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

presumably these might have the same electrics as the mk1 punto....if so, maybe one of the coil packs is gone.

is the ignition fault light on the dash at all?

is the ignition fault light on the dash at all?

no, no fault light at all. Its nearly due for a service anyway so just going to put it in and hopefully it can be fixed - its a pain have to keep revving to stop it cutting out when stopped, and today it actually happened when i was driving - scary stuff. thanks for the replies e1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

sasser wrote:
    Hi,

I am recently having this problem with my car. When I am stopped in traffic or at lights, my car starts vibrating, and the rev counter starts going. ....?

Rev counter goes were?. be specific.

Anyway, I'd be inclined to agree with a failing ignition component(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

this is a common problem on the 1.2 16v. you either need new plugs, or your airflow sensor is faulty. adjusting the throttle cable also fixes the problem, or at least hides it. but the adjustment nut is a bastard to get at

Advertisement