Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a dog and how to transport it?

Options
  • 23-04-2006 6:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi all,

I want to get a dog. I've contacted the Limerick Animal Welfare and got some Informations from them. The other possibility is the Dog Pound (run by the city council).

There are two for me things to consider:
    a) from what place to take is the most relief for an oppressed creature
    b) how to get there and how to get back with the dog without having a car

I tend to say get it from the dog pound as they catch the dogs from the street and if nobody reclaims then or doesn't want to adopt them they get destroyed after 5 days. So it would be a saved life to take it from there. But as they come from the street and are probably not vaccinated and neutrsalised so you don't know what you get. The dogs from the Animal Welfare are vaccinated and neutralised (what an euphemism for cutting off the balls... ;) ) which makes it different ("safer"?) in a way.

As i don't have a car (and at the moment nobody to ask) the next question is how to transport the new housemate. The Animal Welfare shelter is somewhere in Tipperary. Quite a bit out of reach for me... The Dog Pound is in Mungret (must be somewhere near the cement factory I think). This is reachable by cab at least. Are cabs transporting dogs? Would they do this if i ring them and tell them what i want them for?

Do you have any suggestions?

IB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

a) Both places would treat dogs quite wel at bot the LAW and Limerick cc facilities.

b) If it is a small dog, then a dog box in the back of a taxi will do the trick.

Liemrick animal welfare could use the help. Limerick CC can get money from the corpo, where as LAW is voluntary

http://www.limerickanimalwelfare.com/law/index.htm
    that is their website it should have all the info you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Inge Binge

thx for your quick reply billy. but you see the CC will put the dogs "just" to sleep after five days while the welefare treat and pamper them. it's a shelter at least but even much better after killing the dog after 5 days. even if this 5-day-rule is with the law. i have my own ethics :)

friend of mine got hers from the dog pound in Ennis and paid 13 euros for registration. the welfare takes a donation of 80 euros. but this is not a matter of money for me (to make it clear and to avoid confusion ;) )

IB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

The dog pound is near the cement factory, it's a bit hard to find but it's not too far out of town really. If a taxi driver won't take the dog (theres no harm in asking, you never know) then you could always get a taxi to the pound and then walk home with the dog. This depends if you're in the mood for a bit of a walk and you don't live at the other side of town!

Anyway good luck with it

nah, a walk would be ok. but it depends of the condition the dog is in. do you know if there's a post sign to the dog pound?

i'm living near bobby burne's pub (o'connel ave) and i'm used to walk. could go by bus up to father russel road and then walk over there if i feel like walking ;)

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Personally I would go with the Limerick Animal Welfare option. From what I gather they will have the dog injected for diseases etc. the CC won't waste money on such things if they are going to put the dog down in five days i would imagine.

You would be saved great expense by going to LAW.

• Advertisement

but the big problem is that i don't have a car. their kennels are all on the countryside... but i will ring CC and LAW tomorrow to see what can be arranged.

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

LAW are the best but under severe pressue at the moment.
    it can be arranged to bring the dog into Limerick itself.

Also I remember reading some of the fare charges in a Cab once
    and thinking it was funny that they charged you extra for a Dog.
    (I got Cabs with a dog in the passanger seat before and did not
    get charged but the cabbie was an animal lover)

The Pound near the Cement factory is ment to be nothing more than
    a shed. Terrible Terrible that they put down the animals after 5 days.
    There was a newspaper article last week on it.

Limerick Animal welfare are snowed under with Pups and Dogs at the
    moment (even a donkey) There is a woman out inn Newport who comes
    into Limrerick sometimes during the week for her shopping.
    If you want a dog they sometimes will drop the dog into the
    Cresecent Vetinary clinic in Dooradoyle
    if that is any help to you. They usually look for
    a donation of about 70 Euro but as far as I know the Dog will
    be already vacinated (Which would cost you more than 70 yo yos)

We picked up a starving stray Dog a few weeks back but cannot keep it due to
    having no walls in the back garden so no secure way to keep it.
    (We also feed quite a large amount of cats and have 2-3 house cats)
    My girfriend is bringing a lovely Dog (Black Collie) to the Crescent Clinic this
    morning so Limerick Animal Welfare will be picking her up hopefully this evening.
    There will be loads of tears tonight as she got very attached to the dog and
    the dog is a fantastic animal very clever loving etc.
    (It even more or less gets on with most of the cats.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

have been to the pound out in mungret there only open on friday mornings so i was told after numerous ohones calls.

its condition is terible and you'd think it was derelict.

RE: sigh post --- ya theres a small sign post on the road for the pound.

i'd suggest LAW for definate as opposed to pound

Thanks for all your advises! I'll keep you informed :)

IB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Just got a phone call from my girlfriend who is now in tears
    so I gotta nip home for a while to calm her down as she is upset.

If anyone out there wants to give a Collie a good and loving home
    there is one in Crescent Vets at the moment that is whimpering.

Got some pics here:
    th_dog7.jpg
    th_dog6.jpg
    th_dog4.jpg
    th_dog3.jpg
    th_dog2.jpg
    th_dog1.jpg

~B

• Advertisement
Advertisement