Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Noise from my Golf MKIV GTi ?

Options
  • 23-04-2006 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have started to hear a kind of noise from my car when idle / in low gear / starting to accellerate...

Now describing the sound will be difficult but it kinda sounds like that sound of when you miss a gear... slightly pitched whirring of the engine ...

kinda worrying me...

Anyone any clue what this could be

-Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

IME a lot of engine noises from modern cars come from the timing belt area of the engine. Possible sources of the noise include a timing belt or accessories belt which needs adjusting/tensioning. Another common one is water pump bearings on the way out.

Can you tell what general area of the engine the noise is coming from.

It's hard to say without more info but I'd say there's s good chance that it's the water pump if the car has done >50k miles and the pump has never been replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sounds about right re water pump

id try http://www.uk-mkivs.net/ or www.vagdrivers.net

someone one either of those will know

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

Thanks for the info .. mileage is only 26k though

Will try the other forums and post back if i get help

Cheerz
    -alan

Advertisement