Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paperwork when buying used car privately?

Options
  • 23-04-2006 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭

Right ill be going to check out a used car in the next couple of days from a guy who is selling it privately, i will be going with a mechanic, and pending it checks out and everything is in order ill be buying it in a few weeks.

But i am unsure about what to do as regards paperwork when it comes to actually taking ownership, i presume i need a change of ownership form for the car, maybe not? if so do we have to complete this paperwork when we exchange keys for money? where he signs it over to me, maybe i am wrong though.

Could anyone give me some advice? also is there anything else i should ask for or need as regards paperwork?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

You'll need the RF101 form that he has.
    On the back is the change of ownership details.

MAKE SURE you take it after he signs it. Don't rely on them sending it in even if it says on the form that the owner shoudl send it. YOU TAKE it. Trust me on this one.

Then take the keys, hand over the dosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

If I was selling the car I would not give the new owner the form to send. Iv heard of 2 people had some hassle about offences related to their old car that was never registered in new owners name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

yep u need the VEHICLE REGISTRATION form, not the vehicle licensing form, filled out on the back. also get a receipt specifying the car, the vendors name and address, the amount and the price with a line saying the car is theirs to sell and has no outstanding finance on it.
    its a tough one whetehr or not to give the form to the buyer. i know the seller is supposed to send it, but they are handing over alot of cash and its a buyers market...
    i personally gave the form to the buyer to post in. if i were to do it again, id do the deal in the bank and post it with them afterwards.
    incidentally i got a receipt from the buyer saying theyd bought the car and their full details and date. if it ever went to court then i doubt id be stung but who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

cheers fellas

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

please note that newer cars or cars that have changed owners in the last two years don't have a vehicle licensing certificate (yellow cert with a harp in the corner) but have a grey coloured registration certificate only.

• Advertisement
Advertisement