Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web-based screen designer

Options
  • 23-04-2006 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at trying to implement a web based interface for a screen design function within a system.

Basically users would be able to drag and drop elements onto the design screen, and amend a basic set of properties for data entry objects.

The user would be able to save the screen and all the objects and associated properties would be written out to a DBMS.

Obviously I'm not going to be able to do that in pure HTML, I was thinking along the lines of maybe using JavaScript, or Java, or even try Flash.

Would this be a bit too ambitious a thing to try in a thin-client web-only environment? Could anyone recommend any particular programming tool to try this in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

You're going to need a combination of server side code and ajax. Personally I'd recommend Ruby on Rails. It's a big undertaking, but quite possible.

Something similar to what you're suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Dar wrote:
    Something similar to what you're suggesting.

Brilliant! What was that done in?

I could whack together something with an ActiveX control, or maybe use .NET, but I want to make it as non-Microsoft dependant as possible.

PHP and Ajax I believe.

I could whack together something with an ActiveX control, or maybe use .NET, but I want to make it as non-Microsoft dependant as possible.

I've been using Ruby on Rails for an Ajax based CMS lately. Inline editing, live search, drag and drop parapraphs etc. The Ajax on Rails interface that comes with with RoR is quite frankly the bees knees, and ActiveRecord makes working with databases a pleasure.

Advertisement