Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loading problems

• 23-04-2006 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

hey there im havin abit of a prob with my internet over the past few days. im on ibb (yeh i know) but i cant access hotmail it just wont load the page, same with my college website 'blackboard'. i also dont seem to be able to upload attachments to emails. tried downloading firefox, but when i use it. . same thing. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I know what prob is. MTU has to changed from the default of 1500. Do you use a router or is the IBB connection connected directly to your PC? And do you use Breeze or Ripwave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

yeh its a ripwave, and yeh i connect it to my laptop via ethernet cable.

Download this.

Run it and under adapter settings, choose the network card that the ripwave connects to. Change MaxMTU to 1460. Restart laptop. See if that works. Check all sites that you have had problems with. If you still have problems, try values of 1492, 1400 and 1358. Remember to restart each time.

Should fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Please don't adjust your settings, IBB has been rubbish all over weekend. There is no upload speed and therefore you cannot post on the internet, access e-mail or connect to secure sites. Ring IBB and complain, do not adjust your computer and waste valuable time. Ring them, spend 20 minutes if you have to! It'll be 20 minutes better spent than messing with the computer.

Ignore VeryInterested's post. Yes IBB can be crap speed wise but this is not a speed issue. It is a problem with how IBB connections don't work with some secure sites (https). Lowering the MTU allows these sites to function. End of.

• Advertisement

Just seen VI's other post here.

I'm on Breeze not ripwave so unaware of any probs with Ripwave. Granted that if ripwave was more crap than usual over weekend this could be the source of OP's problems. But under normal circumstances if speed is ok and you can't connect to secure sites using ripwave or Breeze, then changing MTU fixes this.

Out of interest, maybe someone with ripwave who still has a crap connection from this weekend might try the MTU fix and see if that lets them access secure sites, if very slowly!

Advertisement