Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web site for the h dip in education

Options
  • 23-04-2006 8:39pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for the site, it's like the cao site, but for the higher diploma in education. I found it a few weeks ago but Ive searched again there and I cant find it.
    Im wondering what points were needed for this years entry or has it been released yet?
    Also, does anyone know, is it just based on points or is there an interview?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Just found the website. Its www.pac.ie if anyone else is looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

What are you planning on teaching?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

dory wrote:
    Also, does anyone know, is it just based on points or is there an interview?

Yes, there is an interview, and they check to see if you can use an apostrophe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Slow coach wrote:
    Yes, there is an interview, and they check to see if you can use an apostrophe.

There isnt always an interview, and any more useless comments like that will get you banned.

To the OP, best of luck, and be sure to ask for any advice you need over the course of your application. Theres plenty of people here who will help.

I wouldn't say it was a useless comment.
    You do need a good standard of written and verbal English to teach regardless of your subject.

Perhaps what slow coach was trying to do is advise that dory should be extra careful on his application. The Hdip is over subscribed, there are more teachers than there are jobs in Ireland - every little thing counts.

• Advertisement

kittex wrote:
    I wouldn't say it was a useless comment.
    You do need a good standard of written and verbal English to teach regardless of your subject.

Perhaps what slow coach was trying to do is advise that dory should be extra careful on his application. The Hdip is over subscribed, there are more teachers than there are jobs in Ireland - every little thing counts.

My sincerest apologies if Im wrong, but it seemed to me like Slow Coach was "correcting" the OP's punctuation. Would it not be more civil to say.. be careful with your application? Anyway, the PAC deals with the Secondary H.Dip which is filled on the basis of points from degree marks and teaching hours completed pre application.

Proper punctuation is not a factor in the application process, at least not in the ones Im familiar with anyway.

I think you're looking for more than was meant in my response.
    I don't know slow coach, so I'm not defending him or how he said it, but just stating that there is a point in there, despite how it is said.

You're implying that I said it is an explicit factor in the process. But if they have a few hundred applications for each place - do you not think every little factor will count towards getting that number down? And that may happen if the course has a test/interview element, although as you say, not all Hdip application processes have that.
    Although in my opinion they all should interview - teaching is about a lot more than grades. But that's a side issue.

Dory, do your best and good luck. :)

kittex wrote:
    Although in my opinion they all should interview - teaching is about a lot more than grades.

I fully agree with you there. However, take the primary post grad system for example. When you put it in the hands of those who's opinion of you on one day in one 30 minute discussion, decides whether you get in or not; are you leaving the system open for favouritism?

Just a question more than an observation really.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Kittex, I'm planning on teaching Gaeilge and Biology.

Slowcoach, :p

Advertisement