Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ECW returning....for good?!?!

• 23-04-2006 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

From Scherer on pwinsider.com:

WWE has made the decision to bring back Extreme Championship Wrestling as a full time entity and has begun talking with former ECW talent about returning to work for the new version of the legendary promotion. As of right now, WWE is targeting a September return for the promotion. No decision has been made as to exactly how the company will be brought back yet. It's possible that it will take over the present OVW territory, that it will be a promotion that gets matches on the Raw and/or Smackdown promotions or possibly in some other manner. Sources have told us that Paul Heyman and Tommy Dreamer will be booking ECW when it starts up.

WWE has already contacted a number of ECW wrestlers and contracts will be sent out to them this week. The talents are being offered three year deals which consist of a series of one year contracts, with rollover clauses. A number of wrestlers have been contacts so far. We can confirm that WWE has talked with The Sandman, Francine and Balls Mahoney and will be sending contracts out to them this week.

We will have more information on this story later today or tomorrow

So there you go. Make of that what you will.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Interesting. Not sure I am entirely comfortable with this though. I really enjoyed ECW, I have a crap load of ECW DVDs. I think that by going down this route, it could tarnish what is a great legacy.

Not to mention, there are many who would not work with the WWE. Id imagine the Dudleys incl Spike would not do it, similarly Raven, Shane Douglas, Bam Bam. Jerry Lynn has little good to say about wwe, and Im sure I am forgetting quite a few also.

On the upside, we may see the return of Nova, and the death of the Simon Dean character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Sounds good. I hope its true.

^ Out of interest, why? Can an ECW which is basically another wwe run enterprise recreate the vibe of ECW of old? Will a new ECW have the same limitations as WWE in so far as what wrestler can and cannot do?

One of the things which ECW clung to in his prime was taking pops off WCW and WWE, their wrestlers, their gimmicks, their storylines etc. Now, in a WWE run ECW, its unlikely this could happen, as Im sure Vince wont like people on his payroll take 'shoot' type swipes off him, something which Styles was well known for in ECW.

Now, I realise that Dreamer and Heyman will be the bookers for this, but again, is it not quite possible they will have to run their storylines etc past Vince/Steph/both before they have the get go? In which case we have the same rehashed garbage we see on Raw and SD lately.

Another, and possibly cynical way of looking at this, is its a good way to try and styme TNAs growth. TNA have plenty ECW alumni on their card, and if a new ECW were to emerge, its possible many would chomp at the bit to be involved again.

For this to work, IMO, the brand extension must come to an end, move the entire CW division to 'ECW', and they would need to put some of the bigger names to kick it off at first, someone like RVD and perhaps Foley in some on air type roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

I wouldn't agree with what someone said above that many of the guys wouldn't work for wwe. Its a JOB. At the moment they are messing around probably wrestling in gym's around the place. They'd be happy to take the job.

http://wrestlezone.com/article.php?articleid=147831922
    In a follow-up to the story that we posted earlier about ECW returning full-time, the plan was said to be finalized in the last week or so.

WWE is not looking to add a third day to their television schedule. It is believed this will be a mix of both former ECW wrestlers and new WWE developmental wrestlers who have been working house shows under Paul Heyman.

Speaking of Heyman, he will be in charge of the ECW brand. The plan is to run house shows and some form of weekly television as well as well.

Dave Meltzer reports that it would likely be handled similar to the Superastros deal in the late 90s, with weekly matches taped before either the Raw or Smackdown tapings.

If what I have highlighted is true, they may as well not bother. ECW was always in small intimate arenas. If they want to try recreate it, they cannot do it by having the matches before TV tapings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Just read this now. I don't think it's a good idea as I think of it right now, but I could see it working. Heyman and Dreamer were the ones who ran the original ECW, so they know the way it works. Vince did help out ECW when it was still around, and if it's treated in the same sort of way I'd imagine it could be pulled off. I mean, I really doubt OVW have to run storylines by Vince, so why should ECW?

If this does happen, it's got to be the best news ever for CM Punk fans! I said a while ago that he'd be the perfect fit for ECW

That point about the venues is a good one, it wouldn't feel the same at all, the fans at it would still be looking forward to the WWE show they paid for, not the ECW show that's supportin them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Kinda too ways about this one. On the one hand, i'm happy to see ECW return and that WWE listened to the fans. But then if it's only gonna be a recorded for Raw/Smackdown and then previewed or something.
    I doubt Paul Heyman would bring back nothing but ECW in it's purest form and also at ECW, they used a few moves WWE banned ay ONS so i'd doubt they'd change it. The CW's going to ECW is great idea imo. Also a current few WWE wrestlers would do well to go to ECW. My only concern is if WWE are just gonna use ECW like OVW and take whatever stars they want like and kill ECW again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Looks like Vince looking for a way to make a few bucks off of the ECW name and maybe get some stars for the future. (Not in itself a bad thing)
    If Dreamer and Heyman are given theri heads they should do fine.
    BTW the idea for RAW and SD could be to show pretaped matches from the ECW house shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Stalfos wrote:
    My only concern is if WWE are just gonna use ECW like OVW and take whatever stars they want like and kill ECW again.

Thats whats OVW is for, its a feeder federation for WWE. It cant be compared to other smaller federations that WWE took stars from in the past, because thats what OVW is there for. But back on the ECW point, i do think the arena bit is the sticking point alright. One thing i don't think has been mentioned in this is if WWE have it before Raw and Smackdown, don't the WWE run the risk of the fans getting worn down through out the night. Like a women's playboy match before the main event at Wrestlemania,the WWE have been well known to do this, its only there to allow the fans to build upto the main event without too much exertion on their part, but with an ECW show before a Raw or Smackdown the fans could well be burned out by the time the main of these 2 shows come around. The idea in principle is fantastic but let's see how they work with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Why are people knocking this before they've even seen it?

Wasn't ECW ONS good last year?

As far as I'm concerned an ECW brand with Paul Heyman as booker is news that all wrestling fans should be happy about.

HOO f*cking RAY as far as I'm concerned. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Why are people knocking this before they've even seen it?

Wasn't ECW ONS good last year?

As far as I'm concerned an ECW brand with Paul Heyman as booker is news that all wrestling fans should be happy about.

HOO f*cking RAY as far as I'm concerned. :D

I think this is king of a damned if you do/ damed if you don' situation. I have read comments made by people saying how sick of wwe they were and that ONS was the best PPV last year and if Vince had any sense he would bring it back.

Now as soon as he does, it is being shot down with people saying that all he wants to do is make a few bucks, well duh! he is a businessman. Its in his interest for it to be a success and therefore he will try and give the fans an ECW they want, like what was proided at ONS.

If Heyman and dreamer are at the helm then I think it can only be positive. Its a big credit to the ECW brand that itis the promotion that is being resurrected ad not WCW, a company that was about 100 times the size of ECW. I think Vince has alot of respect fro Heyman, definitley more so than he has for Bischoff, and in fairness he let heyman call the sjots at ONS. People moaed about the WWE presencea the event but for me it was vital, remember Heymans shoot promo, it illustarted that Heyman was calling the shots. Vince acknowledges that Heymn taped into a whole new wrestling audience and in a sense gave Vince the concept for the attitude era.

It does seem strange however that they would announce this before ONS. Could you iagine the reation on the night if Heyamn announce to the fans that ECW was back fulltime. The place would be going nuts.

They haven't officially announced it yet though, this is just the rumblings from the company. Scherer is usually correct with his stuff though

I'm wary of it as far as the possibility of WWE treating it like Heat or Velocity goes. If they treated it like that, it would ruin the legacy of ECW, and the real ECW fans are hardly going to like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

I'm on the fence with this one. I'd love to see it return just so a lot of the talent on Raw and Smackdown have a chance at a better role to play (ie Richards, Dean, Cruisers etc). WWE signing up all that talent recently may mean they have replacements for those that shift to that brand (ie Test, Pulumbo, Umaga).

I dont know how the tv deal will work though. and will the ECW crowd be eligible for the draft every year? I'm trying to be optimistic about the whole thing but I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

It can't be the same as it was. But I think any show that has Paul Heyman booking deserves a chance.

It looks like they are trying to put it on as an hour show on the USA network.
    If not, its being reported on figure four radio and wrestling observer live it may become an internet show.

To be it sounds like it will be an advanced developmental show. In between OVW and WWE. I think that could work well in getting new stars over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ff101

it will never be the same as it was, but considering the recent discusions on this forum about the direction of wwe it makes sense.

-the invasions begin in the build up to one night stand 2
    -RVD uses his MITB to challenge the champ at said PPV(and wins)
    - raw and SD wrestlers band together to fight the invaders
    - ex ecw wrestlers who arent that important leave wwe for ecw
    and so with depleted numbers, the rosters reunite. (something thats been long talked about)
    - after its all over RVD and bigger ecw guys return to wwe, just like booker T did after invasion.
    - AAAHH remember the alliance vs wwe. we all know who won that one.
    - it makes great sense financially and creatively

but in the words of Tim Lovejoy "it'll never last"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

I really dont know what to make of this. Im glad to hear ECW is coming back and the Heyman and Dreamer are booking it, but I really dont like the idea of former ECW stars coming back. OK some of them will be fine, like Sandman, Raven and the like but I would much rather see more of the up and coming guys given a chance.
    They could take over OVW and that is what I would like to see happen but Jim Cornette might have something to say about that, he owns part of OVW and isn't perticularly fond of Heyman.
    Doing shows before Raw and SD is the worst idea Ive ever heard, ECW belongs in small intimate venues, besides if ECW is filmed before screaming ten year olds that go to Raw and SD, it will have to be toned down big-time.
    At the end of the day it is ECW run by Paul Heyman so we should all be happy, its just hard not to be very sceptical about it!

Another thing is if there is a seperate roster, what are the chances of them doing oversea tours? If RVD, and all join that roster does that mean we'll never see them here again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

first thing that came into my head when i saw this message was , vince wants to do a TNA type of wrestling.
    to be honest i dont plan to watch it. i hope it is not tied to wwe, i hope it does its own thing. why am i not going to watch it? the answer= i will have no time to watch it and i will not make time to watch it.
    i bet RVD will join it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

O my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    this is a HUGE surprise...
    however i will be surprised if ecw is anywhere as good as it was....I have a feeling that vince will after a while not want to pump much more money into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭seanironmaiden

I really don' t think Heyman and Dreamer would even consider this unless they were sure they'd have creative control. This is great news. I'd love to go over to one of the shows if it was as good as ONS. I think it'll be better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This is from PWInsider:
    There are plans to run a "WWE vs. ECW Head to Head" special on the USA Network the week of ECW One Night Stand PPV. The word we are getting is that the special will likely be taped on 6/7 in Dayton, Ohio, which at one point was scheduled to be a Smackdown event. There is no confirmed word on when the special would air.

The Dayton event is now listed as a "Raw Live" event by the WWE website. There is no listed Smackdown taping for that week as of this writing, so it appears WWE is still in the process of setting up their finalized plans for that week. Tickets to Dayton go on sale 5/6.

And in an update on that story, they wrote:
    Our pal Devin Cutting sent word that on the USA Network's schedule for 6/7, the 9 PM-11PM timeslot is listed as "To Be Announced." We have heard that the "WWE vs. ECW Head to Head" special that was mentioned earlier today would be a two hour TV show, so it appears it will air either live or on a tape delay on 6/7.

Devin also sent word that for June, the 2 AM replay of AM Raw is now listed as "To Be Announced" on the USA Network website, which will strongly add to speculation that WWE's revival of Extreme Championship Wrestling may be slotted in that timeslot.

Should be interesting times ahead as earlier on ProWrestling.com they reported:
    The PWTorch Newsletter reports that Vince McMahon made the decision to bring back ECW full time after how quickly the tickets for this year’s ECW PPV sold, considering the prices for them. Tommy Dreamer made a whole bunch of phone calls to ECW talent about putting a roster together.

It’s said that WWE does not have a real plan for ECW yet, and that as of right now they really don’t know what they will do with it as far as TV or storylines go.

It is also possible that WWE could debut the ECW angle next Monday as well after the Backlash PPV.

An ECW vs WWE show would be a great way to get fans to watch ECW when it comes back. If this is true, i am really looking forward to it. Also shows that WWE are taking this ECW return seriously.

Deadly, anything different like this is usually good news. Although I can see WWE really beatin ECW at the special, so people will buy the ppv to see them get their revenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

From the observer site:

As of the end of meetings today, Vince McMahon decided that ECW would take the place of Velocity.

In other words, the show would be taped prior to Smackdown every Tuesday and until a new time slot is secured in the U.S., would remain an internet property show. Velocity, at least for the present, would cease to exist. Negotiations are going on to attempt to get it on U.S. television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Just read this on Top-rope.com about WWE vs. ECW:
    The venue for the WWE vs. ECW show lists for the show the Main Event as a 20 man battle royal featuring WWE Champion John Cena, Triple H, Big Show, Edge, Shelton Benjamin, Carlito, RVD, Tag Team Champions Spirit Squad and many more

And about ONS:
    Two matches tentatively scheduled for ECW One Night Stand are Chris Benoit vs Dean Malenko and Tajiri vs Nunzio.

I know Tajiri seems to be pretty much confirmed, it'll be nice to see him again. I'm really hoping Malenko has a match, been so long since I've seen him. The Sun have an interview with Benoit coming up on their website, anyone who read the RVD interview would have seen they asked Benoit about this match, he kinda made it sound like it could be happening

The Pro Wrestling Torch is reporting that with the launch of the new ECW brand this year, Paul Heyman will be so heavily involved that he will be getting his own office at WWE Headquarters in Stamford, CT.

We will be following this situation with the new ECW brand very closely over the next few weeks with plans being finalized for ECW programming, contracts being sent out to former ECW talent and a whole lot more.
    Lance Storm wrote a commentary on his official website at StormWrestling.com noting that he had talked with WWE officials about returning for the ECW brand but noted that he would not be returning full-time.

Storm said that he was serious when he said he retired and wanted to spend time with his family as well as his Storm Wrestling Academy school.

Storm also noted that he may appear from time to time but nothing on a full-time basis.

I would love to see Storm wrestling again, even if it wasn’t a full time thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 I_Need_a_Life

i gotta say, i hope they dont rely TOO much on all the old talent, for this ECW to work, they will have to build new stars aswell (for instance, the only place CM punk would have a chance of succeding, would be on a show that paul E/tommy dreamer would be booking),

as much as im looking forward to ECW coming back, im a little apprehensive, you cant recapture the glory days when theyve been gone for years, if your looking for proof of that, look at wwe now!

for instance, the only place CM punk would have a chance of succeding, would be on a show that paul E/tommy dreamer would be booking

I think it was said in one of the original reports that it will feature new talent aswell. I think it has to really. Although it will only be one hour a week.. Still, Heyman made Punk tv champ in OVW, and apparently Heyman's a big fan. No non-ECW wrestler would suit ECW ore than Punk, and I really do expect him to be a big part of the new ECW

• Advertisement

CW Anderson and Doring have signed on for it. Roadkill and Doring to be tag champs again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

news from raw whether fake or not
    joey styles quit on the show last night

evad_lhorg wrote:
    news from raw whether fake or not
    joey styles quit on the show last night

this is the start of the ECW storylines, the segment from raw is on youtube and is one of the best things ive seen in donkeys years:D

I dunno..
    it's obvious that everything Joey said, he meant. He was very critical of WWE before he signed for them. But the fact that they obviously told him to say it doesn't really make it so great

Any chance
    some ECW guys could interfere in Mick and Edge's match next week? In Mick's last article for WWE.com, he said he was going to have a meeting with Vince because he had an idea. Don't know if it was just to do with the match, or something bigger..something bigger is more likely

From Rajah.com:
    According to Dave Meltzer, the decision is final and John Cena will be Rob Van Dam’s opponent in the main event match at the ECW One Night Stand PPV this June.
    Apparently WWE will be using this opportunity to officially turn John Cena heel after being booed by fans for months. It also appears that this will be when RVD will cash in his “Money In The Bank” title shot, thus indicating that Cena will continue to retain the WWE Heavyweight Championship.

And from LCW:
    The Sandman announced on his official website, www.theextremeicon.com, that he had signed a WWE contract to work for the new ECW. Sandman had previously confirmed that he would be a part of ECW One Night Stand 2 coming in June. However, this announcement extends his committment to WWE through the relaunching of the new ECW in September. WWE has already signed CW Anderson, had a verbal committment from Sabu (even though an official contract has not yet been signed) and now has Sandman in the lineup. There is also talk that the new ECW will also feature talent from CZW (Combat Zone Wrestling; based in New Jersey) and ROH (Ring of Honor; based in Philadelphia).

From Rajah.com:
    According to Dave Meltzer, the decision is final and John Cena will be Rob Van Dam’s opponent in the main event match at the ECW One Night Stand PPV this June.
    Apparently WWE will be using this opportunity to officially turn John Cena heel after being booed by fans for months. It also appears that this will be

what i dont understand is, all the indications are that the ECW faction leading into ONS are going to be heels....which makes that whole cena turn thing very confusing....unless....god forbid, he switches alliegence to ECW a-la steve austin and the "alliance"

...nah, that COULDNT happen...

• Advertisement

At ONS, it'll probably be mostly old school ECW fans. It was last year anyway, what with the booing of Rey for doing the 619. So ECW will always be the face faction to them, and Cena will be one of the most hated heels ever when he enters the ring

There seems to be conflicting reports about when it starts up. First reports were saying September, then they started saying that it'll be in June after the ppv, but some are still sayin September

And as for "talent from CZW"....what talent? :rolleyes:

EDIT: WWE's mobile service has announced that ECW has signed:
    Sabu
    Jazz
    Axl Rotten
    Balls Mahoney
    C.W. Anderson

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Lita Forever

I am so looking foard to seeing Jazz back again. I've been following her indie matches and she hasn't lost a beat. I'm intrigued as to what her role will be in ECW. Will they allow her to wrestle guys full time, as she did during her first run with the company? I can't really see her in a valet role ala Francine, so that's out. As for being part of a women's divison, ECW was never about women's wrestling and never had a women's division. So who knows if this ECW will have one. Heyman is supposedly known for pushing women's wrestling in OVW, so it's possible we may get a women's division this time around.

Either way, this whole ECW thing just got a lot more interesting for me personally.

Well OVW has a lot of women on the books with them getting exposure every week. I wouldnt be suprised since OVW will be the new ECW that there'll be a womens division. If there's a belt, i dunno. There are three belts in OVW yeah? Tags, Heavyweight and TV title i think. Depending on how long a braodcast they get i dunno if they could make a womens title credible.

There is also talk that the new ECW will also feature talent from CZW (Combat Zone Wrestling; based in New Jersey) and ROH (Ring of Honor; based in Philadelphia).

If they poach anyone from ROH i will go mental! Not many guys from ROH would suit ECW anyway. Guys like BJ Whitmer could do well but any other guys that could work well in ECW are contracted to TNA. Homicide would be in his element in ECW!!!
    They should take Necro Butcher and Super Dragon from CZW. The way butcher has been going he'll be dead soon. Look for his first match with Samoa Joe on youtube, Ive never seen a man take so much punishment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Spoiler...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCHQVCkjCWU&feature=Views&page=5&t=t&f=b

Styles from raw last monday. Spoiler :D

• Advertisement

castagnoli wrote:
    The way butcher has been going he'll be dead soon. Look for his first match with Samoa Joe on youtube, Ive never seen a man take so much punishment!
    :eek: that was disgusting. the blood was unreal. and the noise his head made bouning off the ground. Could you even call that a wrestling match.

For anyone who hasnt sen "The Rise and Fall.....", it is available here for €14.

Excellent show, well worth the few quid.

^ If anyone hasnt got this DVD already, get it!!!
    I wish I had of known of this offer when I spent e35 for it.

Stalfos wrote:
    :eek: that was disgusting. the blood was unreal. and the noise his head made bouning off the ground. Could you even call that a wrestling match.

Just about!
    Alot of people accused Joe of being stiff in this match, but I think it was just down to Butcher being terrible at taking moves. He seems to be impervious to pain. This is why I think Butcher would be perfect for ECW.
    Does anyone know more about ECW getting guys from CZW and ROH? Will they be signing full or part time contracts or whats the story?

I read an interview with Alex Shelley the other day, and he said that he hasn't heard any ROH or CZW guys talking about ECW at all

I was just about to read that yesterday and I got distracted, I must have another look. It would be great if ROH and CZW worked out something with ECW like they have with TNA, but it seems unlikely. It would be cool to see guys like Quackenbush in ECW just for the contrast in styles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Spoiler

Tommy dreamer got decimated by mick foley and edge on raw last night

I was just readin an interview with Ricky Reyes, he says that WWE are interested in bringing in himself and Rocky Romero for ECW. The Rottweilers are a deadly tag team, it'd be brilliant to see them in ECW

http://www.declarationofindependents.net/doi/pages/SUrr.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

well, that's one way to turn foley heel.
    from raw last night:
    foley and edge did the same to Terry funk this week as they did to tommy dreamer last week.

That would be good for them but I would naturally prefer to see the Pitbulls stay in ROH now that the tag division is rocking again. A feud with them and the Briscoes would be gold. Besides I thought Romero was booked solid as the Black Tiger. They would be great in ECW too

• Advertisement
Advertisement