Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerrard = PFA Player Of The Year

• 23-04-2006 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

According to the Liverpool site.

Thought Henry would be given the nod myself seeing as he looks to be on his bike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And well deserved, has been instrumental for liverpool in their rise up the table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Eirebhoy said the votes are cast in january. Personnally i wouldnt take any notice to it.

Gerrard hasnt even been liverpools best player this season. Carragher has.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Rooney got the vote for the Young player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's player of the year not player of the season, Fully deserved for the European Cup winning Captain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

zabbo wrote:
    It's player of the year not player of the season, Fully deserved for the European Cup winning Captain.

ah good point. Didnt think it was a calender year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its should be of the season really, though that excludes WC/EC.

Anyways a worthy enough winner, but I'd give it to Carra too! Defenders and Keepers never get a break.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Player of the year for 2005 or 2005/2006, he doesn't deserve it IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

List of previous winners, spot trend?

1996: Les Ferdinand (Newcastle), 1997: Alan Shearer (Newcastle), 1998: Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal), 1999: David Ginola (Tottenham), 2000: Roy Keane (Manchester Utd), 2001: Teddy Sheringham (Manchester Utd), 2002: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester Utd), 2003: Thierry Henry (Arsenal), 2004: Thierry Henry (Arsenal), 2005: John Terry (Chelsea)

One defender!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fair play eirebhoy, you got it spot on!

And won me a fiver... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

The PFA Premiership Team of the Season
    Given

Chimbonda Terry Carragher Gallas

Cole Lampard Gerrard Ronaldo

Henry Rooney

PFA Championship Team of the Season
    Hahnemann (Reading)

Kelly (Leeds) Sonko (Reading) Lescott (Wolves) Shorey (Reading)

Young (Watford) Sidwell (Reading) Jagielka (Sheff United) Koumas (Cardiff)

King (Watford) Doyle (Reading)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fair play Kevin Doyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Mark wrote:
    The PFA Premiership Team of the Season
    Given

Chimbonda Terry Carragher Gallas

Cole Lampard Gerrard Ronaldo

Henry Rooney

Ronaldo in team of the year? That has to be a joke.

Well done Kevin Doyle!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Fair play to dolye.

I would have had Henry, Rooney and Terry ahead of Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

good man gerrard - he has been decisive so many times for liverpool this year.

Great player - worthy winner.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Well done Stevie G , well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Gerrard, no where near it. henry has done so much more for Arsenal than Gerrard has for Liverpool. I'd even rate Carra and Alonso as having a better year than Gerrard....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Alonso had a patchy season to be honest - a lot of matches of great brilliance - but it was also peppered with matches where he seemed almost absent.

Carragher has had a great year. Its especially hard for defenders to get recognition though (especially when they don't score a few goals).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well it's voted by the people that know Gerrard's game the best - the players that come up against him. On balance, I think he's the correct choice. He captained his side to glory in the biggest competition in club football after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well deserved by Gerrard, he had a really good year last year .

Well it's voted by the people that know Gerrard's game the best - the players that come up against him. .

I assume the same applies to Ronaldo who was picked on the team of the season .

The Muppet wrote:
    I assume the same applies to Ronaldo who was picked on the team of the season .

Exactly. As much as Ronaldo may frustate and annoy supporters, the players obviously hold him in some regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Well done Kevin Doye, 1st season shown his class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    good man gerrard - he has been decisive so many times for liverpool this year.

Great player - worthy winner.
    irrelevant - it was player of last year:p

Exactly. As much as Ronaldo may frustate and annoy supporters, the players obviously hold him in some regard.

To be honest I think people have been way too harsh on Ronaldo this season. Yes early season his form was dire but lets be honest for a moment. His father died and he was battling an unfounded rape conviction. Now I don't care weather or not your a footballer or a burger flipper at the end of the day your a human being and its going to affect you regardless. Lately he has been great though and all credit to him for it.

Much of the criticism of Ronaldo is not because of his tallent, but because of the way he plays. He's diving theatrics and frusrating tendancy to showboat and over-elaborate annoys people and because of that, he has his fair share of critics.

However, he's a very good player and one that is improving. He joined United around the same time Reyes joined Arsenal and while Reyes looked the better of two very similar players then, he hasn't really improved his game, while Ronaldo has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

ronalodo isn't 100% productive so if u lose the ball while showboating its much worse than if someone puts in a bad cross or something...he's a decent player and i don'tt hink i'd fancy playin against him

Gerrard's season has been huge this year and he's been instumental in so much of it so why wouldn't he get the award...i think gerrard works harder than henry on the pitch and thats what may have clinched it

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great player but not sure if he deserved it ahead of Henry. He hauled Liverpool to the CL success but as said Carragher would be a better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

carragher has been rock solid (in fact i think he should've been ahead of gerrard)but its hard to see a defender who doesn't score gettin it ahead of say gerraqrd or lampard who are both midfielders in double figures on the scoring list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Probably deserves it for his performance in the CL final on it's own.

Well done Stevie, fully deserved. Congrats to WR for the young player award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

An Irish striker in all the teams bar the premiership. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

was there other Irish strikers in Div 2 and 3 Eireboy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Trundle and Heffernan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well done to Gerrard for this award.

These awards also tend to move around from player to player, and not always the best at any one point in time is recognised. It could be argued that last season Terry wasnt the best player, but players do vote for those that they respect in what they have done, achievement wise and its easy to see how Gerrard would have got many votes for bringing Liverpool to win the CL. Granted, Carragher played a very important role, but is not a complete footballer such as up-front.

Rooney will more than likely get it next season, if he continues as he is doing now and it was fitting for Gerrard to already recognise that.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

gerrard fully deserved the award tbh, he was as good as ever in the premiership and his performances in the CL were class, anyone watch the olympiakos game??? and the courage, determination and belief he showed in the second half of the final is as big a reason as any that we won that match.

rooney also deserved his award... its scary how good he's becoming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Of the last Calender year, Gerrard won the Champions League by draging Liverpool through two matches with his bare hands. Definally deserves this award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yep i'd have to give it to gerrard....legend!
    although carragher is a legend too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

yop wrote:
    was there other Irish strikers in Div 2 and 3 Eireboy?
    Doyle, Trundle and Reddy. Maher is also Irish aswell as the obvious Kelly and Given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

iregk wrote:
    Gerrard, no where near it. henry has done so much more for Arsenal than Gerrard has for Liverpool. I'd even rate Carra and Alonso as having a better year than Gerrard....

In fairness over the pasr year Gerrard put in some great performances and drove Liverpool to the CL.

How has Henry done much more for Arsenal last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

i'm a man u fan and i think gerrard deserved the award and i would love to see him in a united jersey(i can dream).

Good to see doyle in the team of the season and really interested to see how he gets on in the prem next year! hope he can keep his form. would be a great addition to the ireland squad if he can improve further in the prem!

i dont think ronaldo deserves to be in that team of the season but i do believe that he will be one of the best in the coming years. he has improved since joining and will improve even more. himself and rooney are the future!

How has Henry done much more for Arsenal last year?

Without Henry there is no Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

like or dislike Ronaldo - he must be a nightmare to play against

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Delighted for Gary Kelly to be included in the Championship 11. He never ever has a bad game for Leeds and he has been superb all season. A true Leeds Legend and he deservs the recognition he gets for staying loyal to the club and being one of the best and most consistant players in the League.

Advertisement