Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin mountains on FIRE

Options
  • 23-04-2006 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭

Driving through Dundrum tonight 10pm and I noticed about 2 MAJOR fires in the Dublin mountains very high up.
    Looks pretty bad, flames very high.
    Saw one Fire Brigade on it's way, I'd say they will need a lot more then that.
    Anybody know anything about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

This is not the Dublin Forum. This one is. It's really annoying when people constantly use afterhours to post about Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Not everything about Dublin has to be in the Dublin forum. There are Dublin issues, and issues from all over the place all over the boards. If we limited every issue to its area of origin the place would be a lot quieter. There is a fire on the mountain though. I've been watching it for a while now. More people will be alerted to it by posting it here. I'd expect the same if a big fire was going on anywhere in the country.

Yeah but that's why we have a region section to post issues about one own region. So on that theory I should post a thread informing people from all over Ireland,that there is a wheelie bin on fire at the end of the ferrybank dual carriageway entering into Waterford City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Aquos76 stop being a tool. :mad:

There is a big difference between a mountain and a wheelie bin.

It is not necessarily a purely Dublin issue. The fire happens to be in Dublin, but it is not a Dublin issue in the same way that the roadworks on O'Connell Street would be, or the best nightclub or restaurant in Dublin would be. You could take a large amount of the posts on After Hours and other places and put them in the regional forums on that basis. Whatever about wheelie bins, believe me, this is a big fire, or fires to be more precise. I am sure many outside Dublin would be interested and some would be able to see it.

• Advertisement

Why the personal insult. I am merely making a point that this is not a Dublin only forum. And for the record there is no wheelie bin on fire, just trying to make a comparison( obviously a bad comparison)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Maybe the fire was in the wicklow mountains... ;)

Then where should the post be made?
    okidoki987 was in Dundrum ... which is in Dublin and the fire was in the mountains ... now some of those mountains are in Dublin but most are in Wicklow and can be seen from Dundrum... so the fire could have been in Wicklow ... so it would be wrong to post on the Dublin Forum...

Isn't it abit early in the year for fires?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Karoma wrote:
    Amazingly enough, someone else that saw it posted in a more applicable forum.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51257705
    But the fire isn't in Dublin city ;)

I see someone else has now posted this in a more appropriate forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51257678#post51257678

Ah look its the Dublin city forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

The mountains are on fire!! Oh God, what will we do?!

• Advertisement

Rhyme wrote:
    The mountains are on fire!! Oh God, what will we do?!
    Run to the hills for safety

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

If there is a chance that it could spread into Wicklow or that people in Wicklow might see this and know people camping in the area, then this is the right forum.

Camping this early in the year. I doubt it.

Rabies wrote:
    Run to the hills for safety
    But what if it spreads to the hills?

To the drumlins?

Rhyme wrote:
    But what if it spreads to the hills?

To the drumlins?
    If that fails, then make mountains out of mole hills

Rabies wrote:
    If that fails, then make mountains out of mole hills
    Welcome to the valley of the moooole-people

It is still going strong, spreading westwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

everyone get to high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Anyone got any photos?

I am too far away for any photo to show anything significant, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's normal at this time of year for heather to be burnt off the bogs before the cutting of turf can begin. However, currently only 14 people are entitled to cut turf - in order to preserve the bogs apparently. Often these fires can get out of control. I wish I could see it from here - can only see pxoy 3 rock! Does anyone know where about this fire is???? Which mountain, near which road.........

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

Aquos76 wrote:
    This is not the Dublin Forum. This one is. It's really annoying when people constantly use afterhours to post about Dublin.

Yo! culchie with chip on shoulder. Back to the bog with ye.

Still going. I can see flashing blue lights in the area too. As I said elsewhere, it is on the Dublin side, near the Stepaside area.

They don't cut much, if any, turf in that area. It is mostly woods there. They cut turf up near the featherbeds, which is on the Wicklow side, near Glencree. A lot more than 14 people cut there. Lord Powerscourt owns the land there. Lighting fires to burn the heather is illegal there too. You can't even light one to warm a kettle, never mind clear the heather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

What's a Dublin anyway? :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I hope the fire is not too extensive, what could have been the cause?.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Flukey wrote:
    Still going. I can see flashing blue lights in the area too. As I said elsewhere, it is on the Dublin side, near the Stepaside area.

They don't cut much, if any, turf in that area. It is mostly woods there. They cut turf up near the featherbeds, which is on the Wicklow side, near Glencree. A lot more than 14 people cut there. Lord Powerscourt owns the land there. Lighting fires to burn the heather is illegal there too. You can't even light one to warm a kettle, never mind clear the heather.
    Your right - I was referring to the area that is Wicklow Mountains National Park. Anyway as you say no turf in the direction your indicating. I'd like to know whats on fire:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

So is the fire around the Leopardstown/Stepaside area then?Is it under control now?And can anybody get some decent photos?
    Its actually crazy nobody has got anything yet. Say they will be up for 2morro anyway.

There is a photo now in the Dublin City Forum, which you will find under: Regions -> East.

It is mostly woodland up around there, scrubs, bushes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭Alkers

Picture from Clonskeagh with a 10x lense. Don't have a tripod, bit blurry.

• Advertisement

It's here now too. :) Thanks Simona1986.

Advertisement