Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best place to sell a car privately

Options
  • 23-04-2006 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

I have a 7 month old fiesta 1.25 steel to sell.Has anyone used cbg or carzone
    or buy and sell and if so was it any good.Did you find a buyer or is it best just use the evening herald

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I put my car in carzone about a week ago. It has had over 1100 views and a good few phone calls. Its only €30 and it stays there until you sell it. Cant go wrong really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

kc66 wrote:
    I put my car in carzone about a week ago. It has had over 1100 views and a good few phone calls. Its only €30 and it stays there until you sell it. Cant go wrong really.

Can you modify your add unitl its sold? i.e lower the price without paying for a new add?

You can change anything in it.
    Actually its in around 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Uuuh Patsy wrote:
    Can you modify your add unitl its sold? i.e lower the price without paying for a new add?
    Yeh just a quick phone call to the guys

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Fiesta Steel should be a fairly good seller as long as you're realistic about the price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

make for sale signs for the back windows boy racer style!

fletch wrote:
    Yeh just a quick phone call to the guys
    You dont need to phone. Its done through the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

colm_mcm wrote:
    make for sale signs for the back windows boy racer style!

Don't under estimate how effective this can be - when you advertise in Carzone and CBG, you are targetting people who are actively looking to buy a car, or at least considering it.

If you put a For Sale sign in the window, and leave it parked in a busy area on a weekend, you may attract the attention of people who like the look of the car, but weren't really thinking of buying one until they saw yours.

My car is currently advertised here, Carzone and CBG. I have gotten one response here, 3 or 4 from CBG and none from Carzone. Carzone is pretty well priced, considering that the advert is there until the car is sold, but CBG have handy options - such as a "premium advert"; one that is always at the top of the results no matter how the person selects the results to be ordered. For instance, I think this search only specifies Alfa 156s, and mine appears at the top. The fact that CBG also have the magazine is pretty handy (despite the new layout which really irritates me).

Edit: The CBG interface is pretty poor, I never figured out how to edit an advert online. In contrast, the Carzone interface is much better. Also, I don't see why you are limited to so few characters on CBG.ie - they should differentiate between a print and web advert.

I had also advertised in the Herald and the Indo, and got a few calls, but mostly from canvassers for Autotrader etc. Also, I think the cost for 3 days is quite expensive.

My main advice would be to just price the car well and to really consider any offers you might get, even if you think they are low. Sometimes it is just easier to take a hit now, then go through the hassle of re-advertising or going out of your way to meet some tyre-kickers and door slammers. I have refused several offers that I wish I had accepted a month later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eoin_s wrote:
    but CBG have handy options - such as a "premium advert"; one that is always at the top of the results no matter how the person selects the results to be ordered.

Its funny, cause this is the very reason I do not use CBG when looking for cars. I like to order them a particular way, and the premium ads annoy me. In fact, the few times I have used CBG, I generally skip over these adds straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

prospect wrote:
    Its funny, cause this is the very reason I do not use CBG when looking for cars. I like to order them a particular way, and the premium ads annoy me. In fact, the few times I have used CBG, I generally skip over these adds straight away.

I can understand how that would annoy people, but I reckon it has still increased the views on the advert. I think carzone is a far better site, it is 10 times more usable than CBG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I recently put my car in autotrader,cost 80e for a two space picture and text ad for two weeks in the mag and online,a guy rang me about it at 10 in the morning when the mag went on sale and bought it that day so i was happy enough with that!

Buyandsell only got me calls from little nack bags and rakes of text messages,i had considered carzone but with the car being modified it seemed to have less of a market on there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Uuuh Patsy

eireal wrote:
    I recently put my car in autotrader,cost 80e for a two space picture and text ad for two weeks in the mag and online,a guy rang me about it at 10 in the morning when the mag went on sale and bought it that day so i was happy enough with that!

Buyandsell only got me calls from little nack bags and rakes of text messages,i had considered carzone but with the car being modified it seemed to have less of a market on there.

I like the phrase "nack bag". Think I'll add that to my repertoire.

Advertisement