Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the streets

Options
  • 23-04-2006 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

jus wondering if any one else has heard the new streets album. im listening to it non stop atm and i think mike skinner has done it again.
    all went out the window, memento mori stand out for me and we never went to church is one of his best songs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

I haven't heard it yet but someone told me it wasn't great. How does it stand up against the first two albums? I wasn't impressed with the 1st single.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I think the first single is terrible. Haven't heard full album yet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The single is awful.And the last album was extremely average imo.

He can't sing,definetly can't rap and can barely write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ciaran13

are you serious, first of all i dont think he ever raps in the coneventional sense, he has come up wit his own style and it suits him perfect. but even if you dont like his style it is absolutely ludacris to say that he cant write his storytelling and lyricis are second to none!!

first single isnt great but better songs on the album

are you serious, first of all i dont think he ever raps in the coneventional sense, he has come up wit his own style and it suits him perfect. but even if you dont like his style it is absolutely ludacris to say that he cant write his storytelling and lyricis are second to none!!

Says it all really. ;)

He is an awful singer,and he doesn't rap.He just doesn't.And his lyrics are very very average.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

burn, i wouldnt consider them scumbags rap/hip hop so get them off this forum! eww the streets how gaaaay!

have you even listened to his music?? his lyrics are better than 99% of people out there, even the arctic monkeys who are in a completely different genre have copied his style of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ciaran13 wrote:
    have you even listened to his music?? his lyrics are better than 99% of people out there, even the arctic monkeys who are in a completely different genre have copied his style of writing.

Have you ever listened to it?

This is not rap, this is not hip hop It's primary school garbage.

lyrics? what lyrics?

I'm not trying to pull you
    Even though I would like to
    I think you are really fit
    You're fit But my gosh don't you know it

WTF is this muck?

Looked at the ashtray, then looked back up,
    Spinnin it away on the tabletop.
    She looked much fitter than saturday just.
    She worked in JD's with dan.
    Back then I figured she was pretty damn rough,
    But she was only wearin her work stuff.

huh????

Is this stuff for real?

Walking down the street, to the beat with my smelly feet.

got a coke no joke, going for a smoke

I've heard little kids come up with more intresting lyrics than this tripe.

mike skinner is interesting because he uses everyday lyrics and tells a story many people can relate to

now heres a verse picked at random from an artist iv heard a lot about on boards. lets see he's talkin about how tough he is,guns and drugs and how rich he is. not exactly original ideas...

[Cormega]On The real

(Play some treats on us)
    Drugs in my shirtsleeve
    The side bubble converti
    Eyes low cause the lye blow
    Five-oh know we dirty drive slow
    Write a line sipping a glass of wine
    The block is mine cause I am a live criminal mastermind
    When I rhyme, I perfect this, niceness, I'm blessed with
    Exhale precise shine like cocian white
    Its the life of Pablo, Escobar niggas I know
    With diamond rolexes, that drive infinit's and lexus
    So send my enimies a message
    My Tommy Hilfiger vest, is bullet proof, so when niggas shoot
    I'm still protected
    So never ask why I write so violent
    My brain storm formed on a dorm in Rikers Island
    I remained calm while you tried to bite my style and
    When I performed niggas mic's went silent
    To the kid who made my man ill will bless this
    (On the real)
    When I catch up to your ass you know the deal

ciaran13 wrote:
    mike skinner is interesting because he uses everyday lyrics and tells a story many people can relate to

now heres a verse picked at random from an artist iv heard a lot about on boards. lets see he's talkin about how tough he is,guns and drugs and how rich he is. not exactly original ideas...

I could probably relate to alot of the lyrics in alot of pop crap that doesn't make it good.

I'm not sure the point you're trying to make here?

We're discussing the streets no one else.

stay on topic, and explain how these 12yr old rhyme's mike skinner put's together are anyway good?

• Advertisement

I could probably relate to alot of the lyrics in alot of pop crap

how exactly would you relate to girls aloud

the point im making is your saying mike skinner has terrible lyrics, i think he is quite the opposite but if you think he's bad im asking who you think is good??

and a name i kept hearing on these boards was cormega so i did wat u did and printed up a verse of his

Alright alright settle down now,we all think our opinion is right.

Personally I feel Mike Skinner is weak lyricist and a weak singer.More to the point,just because people(ie Rock mags,MTV2,generally people who think they know everything about Rap without actually listening to it)believe he is a rapper,does not make it so.He has very little to do with rap or Hip-Hop.

Cormega is an excellent lyricist(check Fallen Soldiers,Glory Days,American Beauty etc),and more to the point he is actually a rapper.However,he usually doesn't move that far away from his comfort zone in subject matter,but saying that makes him a weak lyricist is the same as saying the likes of the Clipse,Kool G Rap,Prodigy and Havoc(in their prime)etc are weak lyricists.But we all know thats simply not true.

As well,praising Skinner for speaking about 'real life' while Cormega does the same thing is deeply illogical.Just because you can relate to Skinner's life over Mega's doesn't make Skinner a better lyricist.

ciaran13 wrote:

the point im making is your saying mike skinner has terrible lyrics, i think he is quite the opposite but if you think he's bad im asking who you think is good??

and a name i kept hearing on these boards was cormega so i did wat u did and printed up a verse of his

Who mentioned girls aloud? I said alot of pop crap, if a song mentions waiting in the rain for a fecking bus i can relate!! doesn't mean it's good song.

We could paste lyrics here all day of people who are badgood at rapping/lyrics etc, but we're not discussing them we're discussing the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Have to agree with oriz here. its easier for ciaran to empathise with skinners lyrics because he is from a similar culture and so can associate his songs with his life. Cormega is no different, he is rapping about his life experience (in all likelihood, with some embellishment). i don't think that he can be classed as a rapper and the streets are definitely not a hip-hop act. closest comparison would be maybe to call him a street poet a la Gil Scott Heron, but even thats too grand a comparison to make, because Skinners lyrics could never compare to those of Scott-Heron's such as "The Revolution will not be televised", "Speed Kills", "The Get Out Of The Ghetto Blues", etc, etc, etc...

As well,praising Skinner for speaking about 'real life' while Cormega does the same thing is deeply illogical

i find it hard to believe that cormegas and 99% of other rappers out there
    REAL LIFE
    is selling drugs/shooting people and generally "reppin the streets". and also according to damon dash many of these bling bling artists aint have as rich as they pretend and have jewellery on loan, so talkin bou how rich they is is bollox too.

lyrics are ****ing brillant

Weak become heroes

Turn left up the street
    Nothing but grey concrete and dead beats
    Grab something to eat
    Maccy D's or KFC
    Only one choice in the city
    Done voicing my pity, now let's get to the nitty gritty
    Tune reminds me of my first E
    Polite, unique, still sixteen and feelin horny
    Point to the sky, feel free
    A sea of people all equal, smiles in front and behind me
    Swim in the deep blue sea, cornfields sway lazily
    All smiles all easy, where you from what you on and what's your story?
    Mesmerizing tones risin pianos this is my zone so stop clonin
    Pick paper scissors or stone
    'Cause me and you are same, I've known you all my life I don't know your name
    The names European Bob, sorted, anyway
    Gonna have dance now see you later, pleased to meet you
    Likewise, a pleasure

We were just standin there mindin our own
    And it went on and on
    We all smile we all sing
    The weak become heroes then the stars align
    We all sing we all sing all sing

And it went on and on
    We all smile we all sing

The night slowly fades and goes slow motion
    All the commotion becomes floatin emotions
    Same piano loops over
    Arms wave eyes roll back and jaws fall open
    I see in soft focus
    Chattin to this bloke in the toilets
    Dizzy new heights blinded by the lights
    These people are for life, it's all back to his place at the end of the night
    Yo, They could settle wars with this
    If only they will, imagine the worlds leaders on pills, then imagine the mornin after
    Wars causing disaster, don't talk to me I don't know ya
    But this aint tommorow and for now I still love ya
    Hours fly over, sail round diamonds and pearls, never seen so many fit girls
    Discover new worlds, look at my watch can't focus
    Last two hours I lost, every move fills me with lust
    All of life's problems I just shake off
    Mad little events happen, things map out and a few blue maddens alight the toilets
    Big beefy bouncers out to reveal us, geezers on e's and first timers, kids on whizz darlings on Charlie
    They've all come together for this party
    All races many faces from places you never heard of
    Where you from what's your name and what you on
    Sing to the words flex to the fat ones
    The tribal drums, the sun's risin we all smile we all sing

And it went on and on
    We all smile we all sing

And it went on and on
    We all smile we all sing

Then the girl in the cafe taps me on the shoulder
    I realize five years went by I'm older
    Memories smoulder winters colder
    But that same piano loops over and over and over
    The road shines and the rain washes away
    The same Chinese takeaway selling **** in a tray
    It's dark all round I walk down, same sight same sounds new beats though
    Solid concrete under my feet
    No surprises no treats, the world stands still as my mind sloshes round
    The washing up bowl in my crown
    My life's been up and down since i walked from that crowd

And it went on and on
    We all smile we all sing

Weak Become Heroes is a good track lyrically,and much of his debut is strong lyrically and production wise as well.After that...:confused:

If you dislike rappers so much what the hell are you doing here?Head off to alternative where Streets are actually at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭easy_as_easy

I liked the first streets album and when I listened to the next one right through the first time I thought it was genius. But when I listened a few more times, I releaised it was chav ****.

The production isn't even that good! Dry Your Eyes just pissed me off so much.I had only just got over the praise the streets were getting when the arctic monkeys came along. oh goody.

At the end of the day, you can listen to the streets and enjoy it because its brainless rubbish, good for a sing-song after yer fish'n'chips mate. I'll stick to gangstarr, jurassic 5 and sage francis thank you very much.

The only track I could listen to on his second album was that R'n'B style song.The rest of the production was just messy.

can barely write.
    And his lyrics are very very average.

you seem to have changed opinion. im wasnt sayin you have to like mike skinner all i was saying was that he is far from a terrible lyricist and you have now agreed

Weak Become Heroes is a good track lyrically,and much of his debut is strong lyrically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

chav ****
    best description of the streets ever!

the streets got on a good enough thing with their debut, it was something fairly original and unique...a white guy / talking/rapping whatever thru some songs...then comes the 2nd and 3rd albums and they follow the exact same line as the debut, there is no diveristy to the man at all. Pure cack imo and just another novelty pop group ala The Darkness. No way are The Streets hip-hop.

I think this thread should be moved to Alternative.

• Advertisement

ciaran13 wrote:
    you seem to have changed opinion. im wasnt sayin you have to like mike skinner all i was saying was that he is far from a terrible lyricist and you have now agreed

No not at all.He has made two albums that are very average lyrically,and one album with a few good tracks lyrically.

So yes he is very very average lyrically overall.

Moved to alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Moved back to hip hop because it certainly ain't alternative. Closer to rap than what we cover up here.

Anyway, googlefight says it's rap and obviously it's always right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Moved to music, because nobody wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

ciaran13 wrote:

Well you have to admit..there is some similarity ;)

We text as we eat, as we listen to the freaks, as we wait for the right of way,
    We text as we talk, we're running as we walk cuz we surf our little souls away,
    We smoke as we choke, as we sink another Coke and we grin when it blows our mind,
    We skate as we date, as we slowly suffocate, we're running, we're running, we're running out of time

Damning evidence for the prosecution..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

This reminds me, I haven't seen my copy of A Grand Don't Come For Free in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Kwekubo wrote:
    This reminds me, I haven't seen my copy of A Grand Don't Come For Free in months.
    Did it fall down the back of your TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

BaZmO* wrote:
    Did it fall down the back of your TV?
    I'll have a look. A Grand Don't Come For Free don't come for free.

Advertisement