Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilbeggan Lakes

Options
  • 23-04-2006 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Pretty sure there is a stocked lake that you can pay to fish on called Kilbeggan Lakes along the N3. I was also sure that I could find more @ kilbegannlakes.com

Maybe I have the name wrong or it's a simple typo, but could someone please clarify where I can find out more ?

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

The only place I can think of is Cornaher Lake, which is on the left hand side of the N6 after you come out of Tyrellspass for Kilbeggan. I know there were Carp in it a few years ago. Not sure who you'd contact, but I'd probably start by ringing one of the tackle shops in Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Turns out I had the name totally wrong - it was www.rathbegganlakes.com/ I was thinking of.

Thanks !

That'd explain the N3 all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Cornaher is all dried up! I lived in Cornaher for 2 years (on the farmland out there). Older survey maps show Cornaher and Swallow lakes, but these are pretty much dried up now.

Seane.

Not another Bord naMona drainage scheme by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Don't think so Ocksee, some of the land does get marshy, even flooded, in winter. And I know a few locals in the area that remember going down there in their youth during summer months when it was an actual lake, or rather, large pond.

Seanie,

I've seen Bord naMona do a few peat bog drainage schemes around Westmeath and Longford, where local lakes vanish.

Advertisement