Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2D Final Fantasies

Options
  • 23-04-2006 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey I have a couple of questions about the 2d Final Fantasies (1,2,3,4,5,6) for anyone who has played and or finished them.

1.How long are they? roughly the same length as the 3d ones? 40-50 odd hours?

2.If you only first played any of them in the last couple of years, did you find it hard to be immersed in the story because of the visuals?

3.How hard are they?

4.Which is the best? ( i know there is a thread about the best, but i'm talkin bout only the 2d ones)

I have a snes emulator and am about to get into them but would like to hear from you guys first.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Final Fantasy 6, stat!

Its probably the best 2D one imo. Chrono Trigger aswell is amazing. That should keep you busy for a while at least. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Yeah, they do tend to last just as long as the FF games you're more familiar with. My personal favourite would be FF6, but then again it's the most recent one I played, I played most of the others years ago on emulation :eek:. No, I didn't find the visuals detracting from the enjoyment of the game, there's still a lot of charm in SNES like 2D visuals in my opinion, I still think Street Fighter II looks great!.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

cool, I heard 6 was very good before but didn't know about the others. what about the way magic and characters develop? similar to the 3d ones, as in different for each game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

The battle system is slightly different from the other ones, like every FF. One trick if you're using ZSnes, when you're just walking around fighting and getting your levels/stats up, hold down tab and it speeds the game up x4 or something like that. All you do then is hold your attack button. Makes leveling up really easy :).

You have to keep an eye on their health though... ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

FF6 is as good as FF7. It's still a gorgeous looking game. I've played them all. I'd stay away from FF2 on the NES (FF2 on snes is actually FF4). It's terrible. Other than that they are all good. FF1 is a bit dated and rock hard.

Avoid FF mystic quest!

You should also try Bahamut lagoon, Secret of Mana, Seiken Denestsu 3, Earthbound 0 and Earthbound and of course Chrono Trigger, the pinnacle of 16 bit RPGs. The japanese games usually have a translated patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Bahamut lagoon, Secret of Mana, Seiken Denestsu 3, Chrono Trigger
    Seconded... and FF6.

Edgar's crossbow ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

VI is wonderful and stands as my favourite of the Final Fantasy games that I've played. IV is very good aswell and well worth a play through. V is worth for the magnificent gameplay.

If you're looking for 50 hours of gameplay you may be disappointed though. You can drag them on for that long if you wish but an awful lot of it will be mindless levelling up.

VI is definately one to play before the Apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

VI is great. chrono trigger as mentioned is good fun. didnt play too much of it though. try Tales of phantasia too. very enjoyable.

hey I started FF 6 and its good so far but what's the deal with saving? It says you can save but if you die, when you load again you won't have ur experience or gil or anything?!

what's the story with that? I kno in an emulator I can just save state, but back in the old days when people played it on the SNES did they have to regain all experience and gil any time they died/ turned off the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

hey I started FF 6 and its good so far but what's the deal with saving? It says you can save but if you die, when you load again you won't have ur experience or gil or anything?!

what's the story with that? I kno in an emulator I can just save state, but back in the old days when people played it on the SNES did they have to regain all experience and gil any time they died/ turned off the game?

Sounds like a a bad translation or something,

surely it means that if you DONT save and "you die, when you load again you won't have ur experience or gil or anything"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

FF6 was a fantastic game. I replayed it a few years ago on an emulator and it just wasn't the same cause I loved doing cyan's bum rush move which is probably the most damanging attacking. I was a street fighter 2 junkie so had no problems with his moves on a joypad but the bum rush move was just impossible to do with a keyboard! :(

is that the only reason you didn't enjoy it? coz I'm using a playstation controller to play it so that side of it should be grand

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CodeMonkey wrote:
    FF6 was a fantastic game. I replayed it a few years ago on an emulator and it just wasn't the same cause I loved doing cyan's bum rush move which is probably the most damanging attacking. I was a street fighter 2 junkie so had no problems with his moves on a joypad but the bum rush move was just impossible to do with a keyboard! :(

Pulled it off on a dance mat :)

PS1 joypad is fine although it's one of the worst d-pads ever. You might miss it once every ten turns until you are used to it. You couldn't miss it on the excellent Snes pad.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Pulled it off on a dance mat :)

I have you to thank for nearly putting my hip out and coming close to getting a concussion. Not to mention the peculiar looks from the mother as she was met by crashing sounds and a barrage of curses as she came into the next room.

Yea this FF6 is v good so far, two hours in and I'm just after getting "mash" and done his blitz, v cool.

Btw I noticed on some forums people were callin' him sabin or something but mash was his default name in my game... sabin seems a lot cooler but why the **** would mash be default if its not his name?

Yea this FF6 is v good so far, two hours in and I'm just after getting "mash" and done his blitz, v cool.

Btw I noticed on some forums people were callin' him sabin or something but mash was his default name in my game... sabin seems a lot cooler but why the **** would mash be default if its not his name?

He is Sabin yes, are you playing on some peculiar emulated version? Are any other of the characters names off?

well im playing an emulated version yes. makes sense now. I was thinking all the names were a bit **** but then i saw Cefka's name and I saw you guys talkin bout him before and I was thinkin it must be just the american version or some ****.

Tina is the name of the magic girl, Lock is the thief, Edgar is the king guy and Mash is Sabin. Ah and now if i wanna change em i gotta go back :(

The names have almost been spoiling my enjoyment of it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Hmmm... well lock should be lock, not too bad there (maybe the silly people couldnt pronounce locke :p) Edgar is correct too.

Make sure to play chrono trigger after by the way. Its the best game square have ever made in my opinion.

Yeah Chrono Trigger is definately on my to play list. Eh about ff6, how long is it roughly? like say i don't EVERY single thing or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Tina is the name of the magic girl, Lock is the thief, Edgar is the king guy and Mash is Sabin. Ah and now if i wanna change em i gotta go back :(

Those characters should be Terra, Locke, Edgar, and Sabin, respectively.

Bad guy should be "Kefka".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Ooops I made a mistake in my earlier post. It was sabin who does all the martial arts move with the street fighter 2 controls. Cyan was the retainer guy with the samurai sword.
    is that the only reason you didn't enjoy it? coz I'm using a playstation controller to play it so that side of it should be grand
    No I still enjoyed it a lot. It just meant that I didn't use sabin in my party as often as I would've when I was on the snes.

And omg...news from the other thread...there'll be a ff6-advance version. That rocks :)

Eh about ff6, how long is it roughly? like say i don't EVERY single thing or whatever?

I took about 50 hours the first time, but about five was just the game sitting without me playing it.

Getting good equipment and making sure your characters are of a reasonable level would take between 30 and 40 hours I'd imagine. However looking about places is very much worthwhile. There's plenty of clues to follow up throughout the course of the game.

The best thing about FF6 was that the side quests were well worth doing. Each one you did gave you an extra bit of storyline as well as either a new character (there were loads in this game) or a nice summon.

Cool yea I'm about 2 or 3 hours in and I'm on my own with "mash" <---sabin.

At first I was skeptical as to how much variation they could have with the restrictions of a 2d environment for a game so big but i'm enjoying it as much as I did FF7 first time around, so its thumbs up so far!

Advertisement