Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Census

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

KittyKat wrote:
    Another stupid census question: "How many people in your family were born alive?" Haha! :D What has that got to do with the population in Ireland? Do the people dead really matter??

Read it again - the question is asked of women only and asks "how many children were born alive".

See here for the reasoning -> http://www.cso.ie/census/New_Questions.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I don't understand why people are getting so bee-in-their bonnet about people filling in atheist on the census form. If Asiaprod was in the country and wrote "Buddhist" (not a religion strictly either, I'm informed) in the box, would people be so indignant?

Its seems to me its the other way around, people seem to have a bee-in-their bonnet about people ticking "No Religion" because seemingly that means we are not counted, even though we are counted in the category that actually is being counted (what religion do you follow). Or they seem annoyed that the government isn't asking them directly "Are you an atheist", even though personal belief isn't the point of the question.

Personally I don't care if someone wants to select "other" and write Atheist, but it seems pretty pointless since it isn't a religion to be followed and it is never going to give a correct number of atheists anyway since this thread has domenstrated that a lot of atheists tick "No Religion"

So the reason to do it (that we will get an accurate count of atheists in Ireland) is invalid in the first place since, well, we won't.

But lets stop all the hussing and the fighting ... it seems silly when we have a whole bunch of young naieve gullable Christians only 2 forums down to abuse :D

Big "atheists-immoral-going-straight-to-hell" group hug!

People who write in atheist/agnostic, will still be counted as "no religion" when the calculations are made.

Are you sure about that. Do they not fall into the "Other Stated" category?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Wicknight wrote:
    Are you sure about that. Do they not fall into the "Other Stated" category?

No - surprisingly, the people at the CSO actually know that Atheist means "No Religion", and we get counted under that heading for all practical purposes. Of course, if you're a write-in Atheist, you also get broken out separately in the statistics - as seen here from the 2002 census.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote:
    No - surprisingly, the people at the CSO actually know that Atheist means "No Religion", and we get counted under that heading for all practical purposes. Of course, if you're a write-in Atheist, you also get broken out separately in the statistics - as seen here from the 2002 census.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Not sure that is true, the numbers don't add if up that is the case.

If you put down "Other" and write "Athesist" you fall under the "Other" category. You are not copied into the "No Religion" category as well, you don't show up there. And in the brief summary you appear under the "Other Religion" category.

But don't know much about it, I'm just looking at the numbers.

Wicknight wrote:
    Not sure that is true, the numbers don't add if up that is the case.

If you put down "Other" and write "Athesist" you fall under the "Other" category. You are not copied into the "No Religion" category as well, you don't show up there. And in the brief summary you appear under the "Other Religion" category.

But don't know much about it, I'm just looking at the numbers.

Sure. That was why I said "for all practical purposes" - that is, the government looks at us as "no religion" at the moment, because there aren't enough atheists to trigger any form of "religious" requirements (not sure if there ever would be in Ireland, come to that).

I'd actually gone past the summary to the breakdown, so I'd missed that we get lumped in under "Other Religion" there - I presume that one is based on the box you ticked. From the summary stats, it certainly makes sense to put "No Religion", but that misses out an appearance in the breakdown as an atheist. Oh, well. Like I said, I'd prefer to write down that I'm an atheist, and there definitely isn't anywhere else on the form to put it.

Besides, if we can muster over 2000, I think they may have to put in a box for us. Of course, we can then complain about that, because atheism still isn't a religion...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wicknight wrote:
    Big "atheists-immoral-going-straight-to-hell" group hug!
    Make it a quick one - I've got babies to eat and a town that wants pillaging.

This is why we have all them swords.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> This is why we have all them swords.

Did I mention that I've one too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

If Asiaprod was in the country and wrote "Buddhist" (not a religion strictly either, I'm informed) in the box, would people be so indignant?

Buddhist would most certainly have been written down
    And you are well informed, it is not a religion, no God(s), never:)

<Swords, you want swords, I live in the land of 'The Sword'>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I put down Other>Atheist on mine, because I viewed no religion as being no beliefes whatsoever, wheras the way I look at it atheism is just not believeing in god. After all, that's what the word means. I don;t believe in god, but I beleive in an afterlife and karma, so I wouldn't feel right putting down no religion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Asiaprod wrote:
    <Swords, you want swords, I live in the land of 'The Sword'>

I have a katana myself (amongst a few other weapons) from when I was training in ju jitsu. Its fun, but I prefer the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm quite proud of my mum, she entered in No Religion for me before I had the chance to remind her :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm quite proud of my mum, she entered in No Religion for me before I had the chance to remind her :)
    There's hope for free-thought yet. :)

And I'm really thinking it's time for a study into the correlation between lack of faith, and sword ownership...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I was going to put down aetheist, but instead put jedi. As the jedi faith is closer to my own ideas.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote:
    As the jedi faith is closer to my own ideas.

No sex and dodgy hair? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Wicknight wrote:
    No sex and dodgy hair? :D

lol, good one

My parents ticked the Roman Catholic box too, I changed it and they didn't mind.

Methinks the results of the religion section in the census will be slightly inaccurate this year...:rolleyes:

Methinks the results of the religion section in the census will be slightly inaccurate this year...

They're pretty much bound to be for the under-25's.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> My parents ticked the Roman Catholic box too, I changed it and they
    > didn't mind.

Er, am I understanding it right that your catholic parents "didn't mind" that you told the truth?

> the results of the religion section in the census will be slightly
    > inaccurate this year...

I'm interested to see the results of the "did you do charitable work?" question, so that we'll have some stats to judge whether or not religions contribute to society as much as they continuously say they do. I've a bet on with myself as to the answer to that, but I'll hold off until the results come out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

And I'm really thinking it's time for a study into the correlation between lack of faith, and sword ownership...

Protection from conversion?:) or more deeper?

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote:
    Protection from conversion?:) or more deeper?

Ha! Sword is representing the indomitable will, of course. Also possibly split personalities, in my case.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Could be on to something here... I do own a sword as well.. it's under my bed somewhere...

Fine Toledo steel.

Since I have a sword (and a handfull of other weapons) and believe in many gods, do I screw up your hypothesis? :D

Since I have a sword (and a handfull of other weapons) and believe in many gods, do I screw up your hypothesis? :D

No. It appears, however, from your evidence, that sword ownership is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for atheism! Alternatively, your ownership of diverse weapons might relect your polytheism...

cordially,
    Scofflaw

No, it is just a reminder not to piss you off :p

Scofflaw wrote:
    Alternatively, your ownership of diverse weapons might relect your polytheism...

I actually was planning to get a ritual hammer but unfortunately the person who was going to do it got knocked down, and won't be near her forge for quite a while now.
    Wicknight wrote:
    No, it is just a reminder not to piss you off

Heh. Anyone who knows me will tell you that thats unlikely to be a problem. Any appearance to the contrary, I'm not a violent person (except as a last resort).

Any appearance to the contrary, I'm not a violent person (except as a last resort).

On the other hand, if it is last resort, why be unarmed?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The Guards tend to frown on you walking down the street carrying a sword :)Besides, I did far more unarmed than armed training, and would remember those techniques better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HealingBlight

went to check the form and my Dad put me in as Roman Catholic Aaargh, I actually thought he knew where I was at. I changed it no religion.

Got into the same situation, my dad tried the reasoning 'You were raised catholic so you are catholic' But I was pritty clear on my position, thankfuly when I checked it was marked 'no religion'. :)
    Atheisim isint a religion, I cant see how it can be, and I don't know how exactly the state would use census results when it came to the religion secion, anyone care to enlighten me?

Advertisement