Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2-Way Satellite dish for BB

• 24-04-2006 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

I've finally given up on the hope of ever getting broadband through conventional means at my house, even though www.permanet.ie claim that they plan to service my exact area (Borris, Carlow) with wireless broadband in the 'near future', after numerous unanswered emails to them and extremely unhelpful support staff (as in they speak in monosyllabic tones, telling you they know 'nothing' more than you do), I've given up on them too.

ANYWAY, I've decided the only form of broadband I'll EVER be able to get is Satellite, which whilst ridiculously expensive is my only possible solution. Can someone point me in the direction of a place (reputable website preferably) where I can buy a two way satellite dish so I can bring down the installation cost from getting the ISP Digiweb? (it costs €795 to buy the dish from them, it's surely cheaper to buy it yourself?).

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Laguna,
    Satellite BB really sucks. You wont be able to do anything with it( no PP,VPN, Web hosting, Gaming, and Voip).
    If you can, try and get ISDN for now and then wait it out.This is what I've been doing for years.
    I feel your pain man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

There is something like what you seem to be looking for on ebay 2nd hand. I also gave up waiting but went for the one-way satellite option, Two-way is very expensive when you factor in what it will cost per month also.

I remember when I was shopping around for Broadband Mediasat tried to convince me to go for Two-way they even said that I could use it for Voip and stop using the landline thus making it more economical. However everywhere I looked seemed to suggest that Voip on Satellite is a non runner, I gave up and went with Skydsl and have been using almost a year now. ISDN is also an option although a slower one than either 1 or 2 way Satellite.

I read somewhere (I think twas the Sunday Buisiness post) that Vodafone were planning to roll out some sort of broadband through their network anyone have any info about that??

[EDIT] If you were to think about buying that Two-Way Satellite rig up make sure it is compatible with Digiweb or Mediasat system etc. or you could be left high & dry [EDIT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

One way you still pay the painfull dialup cost. It only helps downloads.

The Vodaphone is very expensive 3G 350kbps. Later they will have HPSA at maybe up to 1.5Mbps. Even more expensive. Very limited 3G coverage. A lot of places will only have 28kbps GPRS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

isdn is pretty crap, i have been using it for the past few years and it really isnt worth the cost for whats really, at best twice as fast as normal dial-up but costs more then alot of dsl packages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Ri_Nollaig wrote:
    isdn is pretty crap, i have been using it for the past few years and it really isnt worth the cost for whats really, at best twice as fast as normal dial-up but costs more then alot of dsl packages!
    Ya, but when your comparing it to satellite BB it's a lot cheaper and you can do more with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

netwhizkid wrote:
    I read somewhere (I think twas the Sunday Buisiness post) that Vodafone were planning to roll out some sort of broadband through their network anyone have any info about that??

I've come across so many people who are giving up on their 3g phone service to just run with the 2.5gprs instead that it makes me wonder how Vodafone will manage.

Advertisement