Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL. most prestigious?

• 24-04-2006 5:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

The League
    The FAI Cup
    The Setanta Cup

well?

just cuz the Setanta is worth more it doesn't make it the best, i think the league is the tops still

Tops? 22 votes

League
    0% 0 votes
    FAI
    100% 22 votes
    Setanta
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

League, Cup, Setanta Cup in that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Exactly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

what about in England:
    EPL, FAC, CL?

I'd say Champions League, Premiership, FA Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I don't think the question even needs to be asked. Like (probably every country?) the League is #1.

• Advertisement

what about if they bring in the proposed Scottish and Welsh teams? it would in effect be like winning the CL for an EL team, (lets face it Winning the real CL is atleast a year or 20 away)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I was actually going to start a similar thread asking about peoples thoughts on the Setanta Cup, now that its been completed its 2nd year.

To answer the question the the thread, the priority is League, FAI Cup, then Setanta, simply because they are established, and offer a place in Europe.

With regard to the Setanta, I reckon the organisers will have to do a fair bit of number crunching to justify the prize money. Alone on Saturday night, there was €230k given out between City and Drogs, plus whatever prize money was given to the losing semi finalists, and the other competitirs.

Attendences, in general, have been poor. The fact that the final could only get 6000 through the gate speaks volumes, when one considers there were 25000 at the FAI Cup just a few months ago.

This with the fact that attendences throughout the competition have been very poor. I dare say the biggest outside the final was City vs Shels in the semi final, where there weere about maybe 4000 at a push.

Also, this competition is proving the the eL is streets ahead of the IL. If im not wrong, only one IL team beat an eL team this time round? Take Linfield out of the northern equation and you are left with nothing.

The only way I see a good future for this competition is if the IL goes to summer football, like the eL have done.

The Setanta Cup is a worthy competition that has enjoyed a good start. A European place for the winners isn't vital as, the teams that have qualified have usually already booked their place in Europe by virtue of the results that gained them entry to the tournament.

There have been numerous All-Ireland Cup competitions and it will probably take up to a decade for people to take the Setanta Cup serious. By that stage it will be established and could very well overtake the FAI Cup in terms of prestige.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Yep. Same again.

Though I think the clubs may prefer to win the Setanta for the massive amounts of money involved.

I know I'll be hammered for this, but thats a competition that needs a strong Shamrock Rovers in it, in terms of the fans we'd bring and the rivialry up north, i'm sure setanta would like to see us in it (not more than we'd like to be in it i might add).

I know the issue of hooligans etc will be thrown up here, but imagine a Shamrock Rovers V Linfield final, that would be packed to the rafters!

Support wise you'd want Cork, Derry, Hoops, Drogheda (or Dundalk) .

If the Scotts and welsh came in it would be a really big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

blu_sonic wrote:
    imagine a Shamrock Rovers V Linfield final

TBH! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

In fairness the last time dundalk played linfield in 1979 at oriel park in the second round of the european cup there was a full house of over 19,000 at it. No more could fit into the ground. It was at the height of the troubles as well and the second leg had to be played in Holland behind closed doors speaks volumes for itself. I travel the country with dundalk and see them as much as possible for instance this friday im spending 9 hours on a bus to watch them in limerick all going well as we have two buses going down , the point been i would hate to go to linfield to support my team. People can talk about rovers and linfield games etc but the background history both football related and outside of football would suggest that dundalk and linfield would be sell out any time.
    I cant see us playing in the setanta cup for a while yet but thinking about dundalk linfield scares me honeslty. Blu_sonic you keep talking about the mighty rovers support. Dundalk have a greater following that rovers for matches and that is fact as you guys will find out when you have to make trips to limerick , athlone , cobh etc. The reason for the big support was the dublin derbys you play :)

We had strong support in Monaghan, we brought busses and Vans to Bally Boufey (sp) Cork Longford (remember us being caged) etc, we've never had turn out problems, We pretty much filled our side for the kilkenny (tolka) match, they brought about 20 maybe less. Its not a competition for whos got the most support, but beig the only Dublin team in D1 out of 6 teams is asking a lot from fans, your the only team in Dundalk, If we were the only Dublin team imagine the support we'd have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

League has to be #1, followed by the FAI Cup and the Setanta cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

This year its League Cup,FAI Cup then league for me, in order of possible winningness to get entry into Setanta :)

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

League always comes first but you can understand clubs wanting to go for the Setanta because of the money involved. The fans will always put the League first. the true glory and bragging rights are in winning the league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gimmick wrote:
    I was actually going to start a similar thread asking about peoples thoughts on the Setanta Cup, now that its been completed its 2nd year.

To answer the question the the thread, the priority is League, FAI Cup, then Setanta, simply because they are established, and offer a place in Europe.

With regard to the Setanta, I reckon the organisers will have to do a fair bit of number crunching to justify the prize money. Alone on Saturday night, there was €230k given out between City and Drogs, plus whatever prize money was given to the losing semi finalists, and the other competitirs.

Attendences, in general, have been poor. The fact that the final could only get 6000 through the gate speaks volumes, when one considers there were 25000 at the FAI Cup just a few months ago.

This with the fact that attendences throughout the competition have been very poor. I dare say the biggest outside the final was City vs Shels in the semi final, where there weere about maybe 4000 at a push.

THis brings up an interesting point actually. I wonder do Setanta care about the attendences? I am sure they would love it to be packed, but i wonder if they are making there money from the tv?

THats the only reason i can think of them having the matches on a monday and tuesday. Monday and tuesday would probaly get the best tv viewers as people would say in on there nights. However if they had the matches on friday/saturday i am sure attendences would be up, with the tv figures being alot lower due to people also going to the pub to watch it.

ANyone know what the rating for the setanta cup match was?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

ANyone know what the rating for the setanta cup match was?
    The Final got a bit over 90,000 I think, which is quite good for Setanta.

Advertisement