Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escaped snake help!!!!!!

Options
  • 24-04-2006 10:29am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just realised that my Corn is missing!Went to top up its water this morning and it was gone!!!!!Nowhere to be found.

Help!!!!!!Before Im divorced!!!!

Richie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Check all warm places eg behind radiators, chimneys any where there might be a tiny gap, under furniture. Sorry Im not much help.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Is there anyway to make a "snake trap"??
    Maybe baiting it with some fuzzies or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

You don't live anywhere near Stillorgan or UCD or anything do you?
    /runs & hides with big ol bat

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You don't live anywhere near Stillorgan or UCD or anything do you?
    /runs & hides with big ol bat

My baby wouldnt hurt a mouse!!:p :p

Well maybe a mouse :D:D

I've had the back door open all day & now i'm freaked.
    Thank you very much!
    The dog'd be eaten in 2 minutes!
    small-dog.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do you have any real plants in the corn cage?? I lost 2 in a plant pot before - they buried right to the bottom.

No its definately not in the cage.Im fecked if I can find it anywhere!!!!

Bond do you know what this plastic bottle trap is and how to make one that is recommended on most of the snake forums around??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

first things first,
    sprinkle some flour around the edges of the room (or all over if you have tiles), he escaped in and other rooms close-by, check as often as you can for "tracks" in it, probably best at night or if you darken the room and stay out of it for an hour. Least that way you may know which room he is "in"

Whether you can find him or not, its very likely he is still in the same room he got loose in. If you have carpet be careful, many a snake has found a loose bit of carpet at the skirting and gone underneath for the darkness an heat.
    Same goes for black bags (bin-bags), seem to love em, try sealing one at the top (to avoid climbing in an suffocating) scrunch it up, and leave it in the corner of the room, check as early in the morning to see if he is underneath.
    Put it near a heat source if poss, LOWEST setting heat on ALL heat producing things in the house remember, till hes found.

you can also try placing a heating pad under a small secure, dark box with a small hole in the side so he can get into it. if you can, put a food item in the box to attract him to it.
    A crumpled up electric blanket set to as low a temp as poss, in the corner might also help.

http://www.herpinfosource.cjb.net/snaketrap.jpg is a crude drawing of the bottle trap (from another forum). (bait does not have to be live if hes used to dead).
    I would use stiff cardboard for the strips as using plastic from the bottle itself might be sharp an cut snakey.

Think of it this way, in the wild, he would find a dark warm place, where are the dark warm places in your house? (hope you have checked behind the radiators?)

hope you find him in good health.

b

Thanks franknfurter---Ive done all you said.Ive emptied 2 complete rooms totally to the floors and still no sign.

Heatings off and Im freezing here cept for 6 heat mats set up with the traps you mentioned on each one.
    So hopefully she might turn up overnight.

Well so, I'll be awake tonight!
    Chances are he's round in mine hiding in my bed.
    Don't worry I'll scream if i see him, you'll hear me!

You could always team up with this guy & scratch each others backs so to speak...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

YOOOOOW, Jayney Mackers ... somethin bit me!! :eek:

NP.......

but, erm, if you have emptied both rooms, are you 100 PER CENT he wasnt hidden away in somthing you took out?
    For your sake I hope you didnt move anything into somones bedroom! :P :)

No I checked everything as I was taking it out of the room.All clothes shook,shoes scrutinised,books flicked through and furniture over turned.

The only thing I can think of is that its went downstairs so tonight Ill be pulling downstairs apart although saying that the little fooker will have travelled upstairs while Im in work :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Very strange , I went into the back garden last week and I seen a huge snake I nearly **** myself now I have to keep all the doors closed and Im very careful when I go out there now

Any luck razer? :)
    (How big is he btw? May have another idea but depends on size)

b

No still no luck :(

Hes about 3.5 feet long still only the width of your little finger so hes small enough.
    Im at my wits end looking for it.

Awwwwwww hun I hope you find him soon - have you checked radiators?? They are a begger if they get behind it or even inside if its a double rad. Hope he turns up soon.

Any luck finding him yet?
    How often did he normally eat? and when did he last eat, could he be getting hungry.

Still no luck--He ate Thursday last and went missing over the following weekend.
    Ive been on a 10 day feeding schedule because he used to regurge on a 7 day one so he should really be getting hungry this weekend.
    Going to leave a few fuzzies lying around so at least I`ll know if hes eating or even still in the house.
    Im kind of concerned because I found cat paw prints on the cage door :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Any sign of that corn snake dude?

• Advertisement

No still no luck:( :( .Food hasnt even been touched.

Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

You never know mate, I had a gecko escape one time, and a week later was she fell from a roller blind right in to my hands.
    There's always hope

Dont forget, snakes can go for a lot longer without feeding than most other pets, hes around *somwhere* its just a matter of helping him find what *he* thinks he wants, whether that be food, heat, water, home, whatever, when he wants it :)

B

Dont give up hope just yet hun - my monitor lizard was hidden in the garden for 2 weeks before we found him! & over a week in the house when he got out again.

Thanks all.
    I think at this stage its down to him wanting to come out of where hes hiding.
    Ive put food down every day and none of it has been touched.Same with the water.
    Hasnt been near any of the (8) heat mats around the house either.
    I just hope the cat didnt get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

ahh poor thing, good luck to ye mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

You better find that snake buddy... if you're responsible for loosing Irelands snake free status then i'll be well unhappy...

I encountered a grass snake while walking in London... a dramatic encounter. It just slithered off into the ditch. Close one.

If i encounter a snake in Ireland, i'll be looking in your direction Hellrazer.

In a weird sense, i guess i'm wishing you luck.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Future newspaper headline:
    Hellrazer Defies St.Patrick, Snakes Return To Ireland

If it were me I'd turn the heat off in the house - but I doubt your wife will go for that! keep windows closed & keep doors between rooms closed.

I have had 2 corns escape - one was eaten by my Egyptain Long Eared Hedgehogs they eat cobras in the wild & didnt eat for a week! The second one escaped whilst my skunks were running around I assume that one ended up as food too. Now I have the remaining ones under lock & key at all times.

• Advertisement

Ive a feeling the cat may have had a good meal on it since its nowhere to be found.
    As for turning the heating off--Id be killed never mind divorced.

Advertisement