Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours - A weed?

Options
  • 24-04-2006 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

I have complained about AH before, and I'm about to again because I think that it is killing other forums. Like a weed which blocks the sun from other plants, after hours is strangling other forums. Things like going nuclear or not and the census are discussed while Humanities and Politics lie quiet. After Hours is taking away the traffic from other forums. Humanities has gone quiet and politics only has three active threads.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

How is this affecting your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I just hate to see Humanities turned into a wasteland. You can hear the tumbleweed in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Don't knock AH just because other forums do not have as much general interest;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

What do you suggest be done about it?
    People will post where they want to & on topics that interest them.
    You could try flooding the fora that seem to be lacking in interest with threads with titles saturated with double intendre & inuendo (in-YOUR-end-o) & pm links to the threads to people you know may be interested in them, but apart from that, there's very little that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Report the post if you think that it belongs in a different forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

It's up to the mods if they want to move threads or not. On one hand, Politics might be more quiet than usual (it's exam season after all), but on the other there was a recent thread in AH about developing countries that got far more exposure and posts than it might have gotten in Politics.

FireSpinner, I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with your analogy. If you think a thread is in the wrong forum, why not just post in the thread and say that?

I just don't understand why more threads aren't moved? If threads are moved from after hours are moved then the other forums are revitalised because people follow the thread and in future use that forum. It seems to be getting worse and thats a pity.
    Edanto wrote:
    AH about developing countries that got far more exposure and posts than it might have gotten in Politics.
    But then why have politics at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Do you really want the kind of crap that's on AH clogging up other boards? Do you really think that would be a good idea?

Although I do agree to a certain extent that there's been some topics as of late that are better suited to Humanities and Politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Gordon wrote:
    Report the post if you think that it belongs in a different forum.
    Now you are just asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Right now there's two television threads, consumer issues, all sorts of cr*p, in it. I Would be in favour of getting rid of it full stop.

From the charter

Pointless Threads and Polls
    - Posting any pointless thread or poll will result in the thread being locked. You can be banned for this. Think before you post. If you don't have anything to say then don't bother posting a new thread. Please try to comment as much as you can on any threads you create. If you create a thread in which you ask people to contribute in, contribute first.

If this was enforced there wouldn't be _any_ threads, so lets just get rid of it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

edanto wrote:
    FireSpinner, I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree with your analogy. If you think a thread is in the wrong forum, why not just post in the thread and say that?
    It's much better to just report the post imo, posting in the thread will probably just turn it into an argument about what forum it belongs in and leave it of no use to either forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

But then why have politics at all?
    I agree, its a stuffy old place with a bunch of pissy moaners, get rid of poilitics, free cabbages for all! *\o/*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Threads do get moved from AH into other forums, but half the time they're then deemed moronic by a mod of the forum they were moved to and deleted.

Do you really want the kind of crap that's on AH clogging up other boards? Do you really think that would be a good idea?

Although I do agree to a certain extent that there's been some topics as of late that are better suited to Humanities and Politics.
    My understanding of AH is that it is for "lighter" discussion and general topics. When discussions become serious they should be placed in the appropriate setting.

ntlbell-there is no need to get rid of AH

Azazeil-if we got rid of it someone would just make it again, it was a popular forum for a while.

My understanding of AH is that it is for "lighter" discussion and general topics. When discussions become serious they should be placed in the appropriate setting.

Azazeil-if we got rid of it someone would just make it again, it was a popular forum for a while.

lighter discussions? like what?

"What's in front of you"
    "teh slagging on msn mah bebbo!!"
    "Do you talk like you type" WTF??
    "What time is the lotto draw at"

There's moronic, and then there's AH.

I always thought boards was full of creative intelligent users.

AH scares me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

apparently the lighter topics of dicussion are 'would oyu rather be raped or beaten' if i recall...

but, instead of complaining about it, id rather you came up with a solution.

if you feel that topics are best placed in another forum, why not just report them and say so.

#and fwiw, i do move many threads to different forums, however, i dont think the mods of the politics forum, or the humanities forum would like me to pass over threads where every other post is 'i ****ing hate knackers, they are all scum', or 'i think you are teh ghay' or 'i dont know about nuclear power, but doesnt my bebo page rock' etc etc etc etc.

now, all i seem to see from you are complaints about the after hours forum and how you cant post what you want in there, and now youre complining about things that are put in there.

when you come up with your 101 point plan on how boards.ie can be run, please feel free to present it, but im just getting slightly bored of your mindless moaning and bitching, and less than helpful attitude in actually providing a reasonable solution.

now, on another thread you propsed something, and when i ask you some direct and reasonable questions, you swore at me and told me to '**** off'.

at what point is anyone going to take your gripping seriously?

feel free to become an AH mod and wave your magic fairy-power wand and make everything better.

or even better still,. why not just go and start some interesting humanities or political threads on the appropriate forum.
    no one said you couldnt have the same thread on 2 different forums.

AH is low brow stuff. if an intelligent debate breaks out, dont blame the mods.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

ntlbell wrote:

I always thought boards was full of creative intelligent users.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*Ahem*
    Yes, Yes it is.

FYI

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054921850

moved from AH to Humanities not 10 seconds ago.

Asok wrote:

*Ahem*
    Yes, Yes it is.

Maybe I was too subtle ;)

FYI

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054921850

moved from AH to Humanities not 10 seconds ago.
    Thats all I want. Intelligent and serious (relatively) threads moved to the appropriate forums. I used the weed analogy because I feel that the second thread in AH is always quicker to grow. As such it becomes the main thread on the subject and subsequently supplants the smaller one as everyone who wants to voice they're opinion heads to AH. Thus, the forum thread shrinks.
    #and fwiw, i do move many threads to different forums, however, i dont think the mods of the politics forum, or the humanities forum would like me to pass over threads where every other post is 'i ****ing hate knackers, they are all scum', or 'i think you are teh ghay' or 'i dont know about nuclear power, but doesnt my bebo page rock' etc etc etc etc.
    I said that I thought that AH was for light treatment of topics and the other forums for serious discussion. Obviously, if a thread is filled with just Bebo stuff then it should stay in AH.

feel free to become an AH mod and wave your magic fairy-power wand and make everything better.

Somehow I don't think I will be made an AH mod.
    I am aware that it is the biggest forum and I know that you and the other mods have lives outside modding it and it is hard work, I just wish you would be more...proactive....on enforcing the charter. It is such a big forum that you cannot be everywhere or give the attention that small forum mods can give but I'm told that its quite easy to move threads around......

now, on another thread you propsed something, and when i ask you some direct and reasonable questions, you swore at me and told me to '**** off'.
    I thought that you were trying to paint me as a rapist, remember? I admitted later that I had been overdefensive.

EDIT: Corrected last sentence.

• Advertisement

Thats all I want. Intelligent and serious (relatively) threads moved to the appropriate forums. I used the weed analogy because I feel that the second thread in AH is always quicker to grow. As such it becomes the main thread on the subject and subsequently supplants the smaller one as everyone who wants to voice they're opinion heads to AH. Thus, the forum thread shrinks..

well, youre certainly entitled to believe that, but thats not what happens.
    many people stay away from AH becuase there is seldom a discussion worthy of debating outside of the 'youre ghey' variety.
    but thats up to people.

like i said, if you want a debate, why not start up the topic in another forum.

I said that I thought that AH was for light treatment of topics and the other forums for serious discussion. Obviously, if a thread is filled with just Bebo stuff then it should stay in AH..

well, its not often youre right, but youre wrong again.
    bebo threads get moved to the cuckoos next.

im beginging to see that you actually have very little knowledge of what AH is for, what it does for the site in general, how its run and what its rules and regulations are according to the moderators.

Somehow I don't think I will be made an AH mod.
    I am aware that it is the biggest forum and I know that you and the other mods have lives outside modding it and it is hard work, I just wish you would be more...proactive....on enforcing the charter. It is such a big forum that you cannot be everywhere or give the attention that small forum mods can give but I'm told that its quite easy to move threads around......

more proactive on enforcing the charter...

we tend to moderate on common sense. what exactly would you like us to enforce, and why?

moving threads is quite easy. is this the only 'enforcing' you want us to do?
    and is that really enforcing the charter?

becuase i actually dont recall the charter saying 'stupid thread s only, please put threads that Firespinner deems as worthy of humanities or politics forum, in the appropriate forum, thnx'.

and i think ive already explained why some threads get moved and some dont.
    perhaps you missed that, or maybe you just disagree with it.
    I thought that you were trying to paint me as a paedophile, remember? I admitted later that I had been overdefensive.

i do recall, but you obviously dont. you claimed i was calling you a rapist, not a paedophile.

you wanted threads about being raped or beaten. i pointed you to a site and said there was probably discussions on such topics there., along with a number of downloadable movies, although i did add a cavaet suggesting you doidnt watch them.

so, please feel free to give more feedback on what you feel we should be doing, but i have yet to see any real reason to make a change.

but i am always happy to listen to suggestions.

im beginging to see that you actually have very little knowledge of what AH is for, what it does for the site in general, how its run and what its rules and regulations are according to the moderators.
    I thought it was a general forum for threads that don't fit in elsewhere on boards.

Before anyone points it out, I see the intense irony that traffic in Politics and Humanities has picked up just after I start this.
    Still, I am pleased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

After Hours is the easy chair of boards. A lot of us like it the way it is. Nice and comfy.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I get the point you're trying to make Firespinner, and it's a fair one. AH does seem to suck up some topics that might be relevant to other fora, but there is a simple solution.

If you think, say, that a thread discussing a certain politician in AH would be more appropriate to the Politics forum, then you are perfectly entitled to start a thread along the same lines as the one in AH.

The difference is the target audience that you'll get. Some people who frequent AH, only go to AH, and they'll post in whatever thread they like. The standard of the replies is, on average, not always the most knowledgeable, because different people have different areas of expertise, whilst they all have an opinion.

If you start the thread in the relevant forum, then people who are interested in looking at it from that forum's perspective will reply to a more expert standard.

If threads are moved from one forum to another, you get the "who are ya" phenomenon. That is, if a thread on tax liability is started in AH and a load of AHers respond with their layman's advice, and then it's moved to the Work or Legal Discussion forum, the regular posters in there will immediately pounce on the layman's advice and say things like "where did you get that misinformation?" and other hurtful things, causing the AHers who were following the thread to run away from the forum, never to return.

The other thing is, that the regular posters in the destination fora will give out about people posting nonsense in there. For example, in the LD forum, there is currently a thread about Justice Curtin. Now, the responses in the forum are based around legal technicalities and principles that lawyers and those akin to lawyers will be used to. If such a thread was started in AH, you're likely to get the likes of "fcuking pedrofiles should be burnt!" and "Imho he should be put behind bars for infinity billion years".

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

All fascinating stuff but Hitler does not care one jot.

hitlereyes2fa.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I seem to be having an effect...

youreawsome2no5pk5wx.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Gordon wrote:
    All fascinating stuff but Hitler does not care one jot.

hitlereyes2fa.gif

Roffle! That is just quite brilliant, I must say. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

http://www.boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Simu%27s_Law - often, the mods don't get there on time.

If you want more discussions on humanities or elsewhere, start them yourself. You could even start one based on the threads you see on AH. Humanities will be quieter than AH because it's more serious and posting there requires more effort than posting in AH. Get over it.

Advertisement