Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours - A weed?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Karoma & Gordon -- LMAO :D

OT, there is no need to be dogmatic about this stuff, it's an online forum. Mods use common sense, so if they see a stupid thread it gets closed, and if it's in the wrong forum it usually gets moved. But if there's 10 pages of discussion on a subject before a mod sees it should they close it? What's the point? There's obviously alot of people who use the thread, so closing it is stupid. And moving threads to another forum for the sake of keeping traffic high in that forum is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. If a forum isn't getting any posts, it gets deleted. I know the Politics and Humanities forums sound really intelligent and sophisticated, but that doesn't mean they should be the centre of the site. Start an advertising campaign in your sig if you want to increase traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

simu wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/wiki/index.php/Simu%27s_Law - often, the mods don't get there on time.

Thanks. There are so many rules that I haven't heard of.
    simu wrote:
    If you want more discussions on humanities or elsewhere, start them yourself. You could even start one based on the threads you see on AH. Humanities will be quieter than AH because it's more serious and posting there requires more effort than posting in AH. Get over it.
    I have no problem with silly threads staying on After Hours, its when those threads are conducted in a serious and productive manner, with much intelligent input that I think they should be moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

My God, another thread about AH Firespinner?If you don't like it so much, why not just stay away from it?
    Do you ever stop complaining?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I have no problem with silly threads staying on After Hours, its when those threads are conducted in a serious and productive manner, with much intelligent input that I think they should be moved.
    So, it's OK to start the threads in AH,but not to continue them once they reach a level which (you consider?) is considered acceptable. At which point they should be dumped in another forum.

Right.

Do you EVER think anything through before creating a thread?

Karoma wrote:
    So, it's OK to start the threads in AH,but not to continue them once they reach a level which (you consider?) is considered acceptable. At which point they should be dumped in another forum.

Once they become so intellectual that they belong in Politics. It is annoying to see people hopping between forums, posting the same posts on both threads.

Karoma wrote:
    Do you EVER think anything through before creating a thread?
    Yep. I try to make sure that they suit the forum and then I post. I hope to suggest a dream forum soon.

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    My God, another thread about AH Firespinner?If you don't like it so much, why not just stay away from it?
    Do you ever stop complaining?
    I do like it, I just hate to see people drawn away from politics and humanities, leaving those forums empty. (The recent lull may have been temporary as both forums have picked up today. As long as both forums are healthy and have relevant threads in them then I can live with the rest.)

Once they become so intellectual that they belong in Politics. It is annoying to see people hopping between forums, posting the same posts on both threads.
    So, by your reckoning, the thread from AH should be moved to Politics (in this example) or merged? So, duplicate threads or duplicate posts are desirable in your world?
    Yep. I try to make sure that they suit the forum and then I post.
    I'll give you that much credit. But that's as much credit as you get.
    I hope to suggest a dream forum soon.
    It is obvious but, "keep dreaming".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Thanks. There are so many rules that I haven't heard of.

Uh, it's not the law or anything - more of an observation!

Karoma wrote:
    So, by your reckoning, the thread from AH should be moved to Politics (in this example) or merged? So, duplicate threads or duplicate posts are desirable in your world?
    No but they are better than a messy and inefficient boards. Duplicate posts can be lived with. If the thread survives they soon become irrelevant

Karoma wrote:
    I'll give you that much credit. But that's as much credit as you get.

Ouch:)
    Karoma wrote:
    It is obvious but, "keep dreaming".
    It would be a small forum but I think it could work. They always have dreaming threads in te Paranormal that they don't want and many people have interesting dreams. (I'm still considering it)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

No but they are better than a messy and inefficient boards. Duplicate posts can be lived with. If the thread survives they soon become irrelevant
    )

were not running a fukcing business here.

and thats your opinion, not a law or something.
    i happen to like AH the way it is. if i dont like something, i get it changed. tis really that easy. the mods that run AH keep it like that, becuase thats just the way it is.

if you want order, start yourself a third reich forum and keep away from AH.
    honestly. just stop bloody complaining will you.

• Advertisement

were not running a fukcing business here.
    Aye. It's some kind of scam,possibly scamola.

Boo-urns!

*pip* How about giving an option (alongside Virgin, Subscribed,etc.) on the front page to ignore AH posts. Possibly, another to include AH, and TCN,etc. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I have complained about AH before, and I'm about to again because I think that it is killing other forums. Like a weed which blocks the sun from other plants, after hours is strangling other forums. Things like going nuclear or not and the census are discussed while Humanities and Politics lie quiet. After Hours is taking away the traffic from other forums. Humanities has gone quiet and politics only has three active threads.

There are way too many sub forums on boards, if you look at another site as big as boards i.e. offtopic.com they have one main forum(like AH) where anything goes(even if a sub forum is set up for cars, ou can still talk about cars in AH) its easy going and imo is 10 times better than boards, except boards is irish so that kinda evens it out ;)

gosh. im surprised you dont go there and not come back.if you can bring your little bit of 'oirishness' to the party, sure, wouldnt it be 20 times better than boards.ie then?

i think you need to give it at least a good 12 months over there, just to be shure to be shure...

gosh. im surprised you dont go there and not come back.if you can bring your little bit of 'oirishness' to the party, sure, wouldnt it be 20 times better than boards.ie then?

i think you need to give it at least a good 12 months over there, just to be shure to be shure...

i've been over there 2 years already ;) great place once you get use to some of the dumb americans :D

$5 a month for a sub over there( i have a year sub), i'd never buy one on boards though not until some of the power hungry mods step down ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Reporting threads to be moved seems to be asking for a sarcastic comment from either the OP or people who have already posted in the thread....

The mods have a tough job and it isnt easy to know if something belongs in a certain category or not-so I report posts that are in AH that I think would belong in a different forum-most of these would be obvious topics.....but I may not be correct in reporting it-dont want to annoy the mods too much.

I often see people advise others who have posted a specific questing in a different forum being advised to post in AH as they will get more exposure......is this the correct way to do things........
    Is AH there so that certain topics can get more exposure.....and again if so what is the point of the other fora?
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Like a weed which blocks the sun from other plants, after hours is strangling other forums. Things like going nuclear or not and the census are discussed while Humanities and Politics lie quiet. After Hours is taking away the traffic from other forums. Humanities has gone quiet and politics only has three active threads.

And only a few* months ago, I unsubscribed from AH because it was effectively dead.

In and around the same time, I think, there were suggestions that we needed to split Politics in two, because discussions on US / International issues were killing off discussions on Irish politics.

Today, the majority of discussions on Politics are about Ireland, and almost no international issues are discussed.

In three months or so, it'll all have shifted again. Once that happens, any effort taken to workaround whatever-flavour-the-perceived-problem-is-this-month will be effectively wasted, and some other poster will get up in righteous indignation that we need another restructuring because people aren't posting where they'd like them to on what they'd like them to be posting about.

Swings and roundabouts.

jc

* May be more than a few

kippy wrote:
    Reporting threads to be moved seems to be asking for a sarcastic comment from either the OP or people who have already posted in the thread....

The mods have a tough job and it isnt easy to know if something belongs in a certain category or not-so I report posts that are in AH that I think would belong in a different forum-most of these would be obvious topics.....but I may not be correct in reporting it-dont want to annoy the mods too much.

I often see people advise others who have posted a specific questing in a different forum being advised to post in AH as they will get more exposure......is this the correct way to do things........
    Is AH there so that certain topics can get more exposure.....and again if so what is the point of the other fora?

Kippy

I agree everything in AH could possibly be moved to another more suitable forum(there are so many) its up to the mods really

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I thought it was a general forum for threads that don't fit in elsewhere on boards.

AH spawned from the Quake forum to stop people posting crap into what should be Quake related discussion.

From that you found numerous people started posting humanties based topics but had to put up with the crap some people post as well as people complaining.

So a humanities forum was made, from that politics forum was spawned. and so on.

AH may be where the weeds are but its a good place to start off. For every 5 or so crap posts you get a few gems.

The only reason I can see enforcement of moving a thread is where you wanted a serious discussion to begin with. Sub forums reduce the noise ratio.

tbh, the AH forum has always been the red headed step child (TCN similar, but had problems tying its laces ;) ) but the forum is being run fine.

Hobbes wrote:
    but the forum is being run fine.

woohoo!

validation!
    :)

kippy wrote:
    Kippy

Its not allowed but it is often done.
    AH Charter wrote:
    Larger audience
    - Posting on AH simply "to reach a larger audience" may result in a ban. The thread will be moved/deleted. If your thread is more suited to another board then please post it there. After Hours is to discuss non-specific topics and issues in a general way. If you have a serious Political or News post, they should be posted on their specific forums.

• Advertisement

Its not allowed but it is often done.

are you saying i should ban people for starting threads in AH?

No, I was saying that there is a general non-compliance with the rule. Re-Posting just for more attention is annoying, but is not a bannable offence IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

He is clearly saying he wants to be banned from AH!

I for one vote that firespinner should be banned from AH as it is causing him so much distress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

well in AH you have a guarenteed audience, because lets face it almost all Boardsters check AH atleast once on every log-on, am I right? so if you want a question answered or a view debated upon that maybe would belong, for want of a better word, in a different forum, but you know that only a hand full of people will see it, you post it on AH where most Boardsters will see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Kiera wrote:

I for one vote that firespinner should be banned from AH as it is causing him so much distress.

Agreed but only for his own good. :D

Kiera wrote:

I never said that I didn't enjoy AH, I just felt that it was killing other forums.

You do know that just because you have a high postcount, you don’t automatically gain respect?

Kiera wrote:
    You do know that just because you have a high postcount, you don’t automatically gain respect?
    I never even nticed when it went over 1000. Why? Next to Tar Alderon I'm a pipsqueek.

Oh and to those who say I should just report the threads: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054922434

I'm a pipsqueek.
    Yes you are.

Go find a different board and try and change the way they run things. Everyone on boards.ie likes the way it works and you moaning about it in every post is just downright annoying! You are really starting to grate on my nerves and i am 100% sure i'm not the only one feeling this way!

• Advertisement

Kiera wrote:
    Yes you are.

Go find a different board and try and change the way they run things. Everyone on boards.ie likes the way it works and you moaning about it in every post is just downright annoying! You are really starting to grate on my nerves and i am 100% sure i'm not the only one feeling this way!
    I do like boards and (most) of the people on it, I just feel some things can be improved. Not thinking that something is perfect does not mean that you dislike it.

Advertisement