Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After Hours - A weed?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Kiera wrote:
    Yes you are.

Go find a different board and try and change the way they run things. Everyone on boards.ie likes the way it works and you moaning about it in every post is just downright annoying! You are really starting to grate on my nerves and i am 100% sure i'm not the only one feeling this way!

can't you put him on your ignore list ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

can't you put him on your ignore list ;)
    Why should I? All I’m saying is, he’s not long here and all he’s known for is moaning. And you are also popping up a lot with pointless comments like the one above! What’s that word again? Oh yes, shít-stirrer .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Kiera wrote:
    Why should I? All I’m saying is, he’s not long here and all he’s known for is moaning. And you are also popping up a lot with pointless comments like the one above! What’s that word again? Oh yes, shít-stirrer .

I'm not saying you should, i never use ignore lists either. I was just letting you know ;) a lot of people don't know it exsists

Oh yes, shít-stirrer
    Feedback Forum, am i not allowed give feedback?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Re-Posting just for more attention is annoying
    *cough* - what reposting?.
    I never said that I didn't enjoy AH, I just felt that it was killing other forums.

maybe its the users that should be k.......

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

I never said that I didn't enjoy AH, I just felt that it was killing other forums.

and as ive asked you before, if you are going to make arguements, please back them up with facts.

if AH is killing any other forum, please post up where you feel it is doing this and tell us why.

just saying it isnt proof!

as for
    Oh and to those who say I should just report the threads.

id like you to report threads you feel should be moved.

im quite happy to move threads, but i am not going to spend my entire life scrawling through AH just so i can move a thread because it makes you feel better.

if you want to be a mod in AH, im quite happy for you to do it. you do get bored of pointless trivia like this after a very short time though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Reporting threads to be moved seems to be asking for a sarcastic comment from either the OP or people who have already posted in the thread....
    Reported two threads today to be moved-not expecting either to be moved as I am not sure if they warrant moving (I thought it was pretty obvious that there was a more apt forum for them but thats just my view)
    Any posters in both threads (I think it was the same poster actually) replied back with sarcastic comments and one in fact attempted to quote something that I did not in fact say.

Not wanting to mess up the thread any more by rising to these remarks, I left well and truely alone.
    What is the point of reporting threads if comments such as these are the result?

Kippy

id prefer if you just use the report button.

thats what i mean by reporting. im not convinved by adding *reported* on to a thread tbh. i think its pointless and i fail to see what it adds to the thread, or what its supposed to do.

Eh....I did use the report button.....

The reason I mentioned it in the post that I reported it is that I read a thread recently where the mod advised that if you are reporting a thread that you mention it in the thread....will have a look for it now...
    EDIT:
    Actually the advice was in the AH charter:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054919890

Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

id prefer if you just use the report button.

thats what i mean by reporting. im not convinved by adding *reported* on to a thread tbh. i think its pointless and i fail to see what it adds to the thread, or what its supposed to do.

in theory - it could mean that you would only get the one reported post (via email, other..) instead of 20+. if the user states that they have reported the post - 20+ other users wouldnt (shouldnt) report the post... saving 20+ emails of the same post in your inbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Sharp. Well done. Indeed I strayed from the path there but that was because I was unsure how to proceed.

• Advertisement

and as ive asked you before, if you are going to make arguements, please back them up with facts.
    if AH is killing any other forum, please post up where you feel it is doing this and tell us why.
    just saying it isnt proof!
    Proof will be hard because there are little "facts" available and those that are may be interpreted in different ways. My basic premise is, as you stated, that AH is sucking the life out of other threads. I see this as happening thusly: Similar threads are set up in AH and politics. Same people post in both. AH thread grows quicker. People focus on the AH thread as it grows faster and changes quicker. People cease posting in politics. Those people fail to return to politics as they know that AH threads get more people. Politics shrinks, the pattern is repeated and the problem gets worse as the forum shrinks.

The Evidence: (The interpretation of this is entirely subjective.)
    1) Politics and Humanities recently (for about a week) had a massive decrease in traffic and posting. Where had all the boardsies gone? (Both have since recovered somewhat)
    2) Numerous politics/humanities sutable threads were on AH and were not being moved. Moving threads returns traffic to these forums and revitalises them. The mods seemed to have stopped moving threads thus this circle was broken. Threads that would be discussed in the other forums were left on AH and at the same time the other forums dwindled.

I interpreted this as AH taking traffic from the other forums. Obviously someone else looking at this situation may arrive at a different conclusion.

if you want to be a mod in AH, im quite happy for you to do it. you do get bored of pointless trivia like this after a very short time though.
    While I'm sure that it would be fun, and my knowledge of the boards hierarchy is limited, I'm fairly sure only an admin can make someone a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Firespinner, if you want each and every thread moved to the correct forum then please feel free to make a difference.

If you match my present wages then I will happily leave my present job and devote all my working time to going through AH with a nit comb checking and double checking everything. I promise that, between 9-5, no unacceptable thread will be found on that forum!

I'll need travel, expenses, holidays etc, but we can brush up that between our solicitors before signing any contracts.

You could think of it as "a very special subscription". I could also put a banner in my sig saying "Sponsored by Firespinner", or "Say thanks to Firespinner" or "Firespinner cares (tm)". Or similar.

I meant no respect to Nesf, my one interaction with you was most positive.
    I'm not asking for anything severe, just a greater moving of threads.

btw. Since Politics and Humanities are recovering my gripe is pretty much gone.

Okay,
    A few more points......
    Over the past few weeks many people have been off work, studying,holidays etc hence I would think that would contribute to lesser traffic in certain forums......
    I think you also need to allow for newer posters not knowing the format of the fora posting in AH as they would not have known about a more relevant forum.
    I dont think anyone wants to piss off any mods as I can imagine how tough it can be to moderate a busy forum-keeping topics legal and ensuring no flaming, trolling etc-and I think we all realise that not every topic can be easily categorised into another forum- nor do I expect it to be.
    But this thread has helped clear up for me a few questions I had about the AH forum and also what should and shouldn't be in there. I think it may also have cleared up a few things for a few mods. It'll never be perfect and all us posters can do is post in the correct fora in the first place or report posts that we believe should not be in the forum-helping the mods do their voluntary work........

Two other things that I'd like to say (although I know I will probably get hammered by the mods) but it is just an observation.
    I dont think its necessary for mods to keep mentioning that they have a 9-5 job and and not getting paid for modding boards.....I think most users are aware of this and if you feel that it's too much I dont think there is anyone forcing you to do it-I also dont think that its fair to say that boards is not a business. It may not be making any/much money but it would still be classed as a business venture-especially at this stage.

While I'm sure that it would be fun, and my knowledge of the boards hierarchy is limited, I'm fairly sure only an admin can make someone a mod...

i wasnt suggesting that i make you a mod. i just said id be quite happy for you to do it.

there seems to be vast differences between what i say and what you think i say sometimes.

with regards your 'evidence', can you count up the number of times this has happened over the last 6 months.
    find ut how many threads have been moved over, and then post up all the threads that you feel should have ben moved over.
    im prepared to go through them with you and tell you why i didnt move any of them.

as for the other mods on AH, you may have to ask them individually, although, i suspect, if we all didnt move them, there must have been a reason for us all not to move them.
    right?
    i mean, we cant all be wrong all the time can we? i know im wrong most of the time, but ALL the time?

still, if you know better, like i said, go for it. we'll sort this one out for you so you can sleep easier at night knowing that the threads are in the right forum.
    kippy wrote:
    Two other things that I'd like to say (although I know I will probably get hammered by the mods) but it is just an observation.
    I dont think its necessary for mods to keep mentioning that they have a 9-5 job and and not getting paid for modding boards.....I think most users are aware of this and if you feel that it's too much I dont think there is anyone forcing you to do it-I also dont think that its fair to say that boards is not a business. It may not be making any/much money but it would still be classed as a business venture-especially at this stage.

because users seem to think they have a god given right sometimes to demand things that are unrealistic.
    my time and effort is freely given, and i am not here to bow to every users every whime. a lot of users seem to forget this when they are demanding things, telling people who the system doesnt work, and why boards sucks and everything else is wonderful.

as for boards being a business venture, take it up with the admins. its their site. im still here because i love the place. ive been here for over 8 years, along with a handful of other people, and i think i know how the site runs and what works. but i certainly dont consider it a business venture. when i get paid to do it, then i will take this into account :)
    I meant no respect to Nesf
    dont worry, none of us respect him either...

Since Politics and Humanities are recovering my gripe is pretty much gone.

thats pretty short term. what, 2 days for a forum to 'recover'.
    I interpreted this as AH taking traffic from the other forums. Obviously someone else looking at this situation may arrive at a different conclusion..

yes, and i think i keep pointing this ouit to you.

look, if it makes you feel a lot better, hows this:

"firespinner, i hear what you are saying, i appreciate what you are saying and i understand what you are saying.

however, i think the mods in AH are probably going to carry on with what they have been doing for the past 8 years, even if it means you dont get your full sleep at night for worry.

if people report posts and say they should be moved, then i for one am happy to glance over it, and if it is something that belongs somewhere else, and if it isnt full of crap, then i have no problem moving it. none of us ever did.

what will not happen is mods searching out every post in every thread in the case that we have a thread that should be moved due to some 'intelligence' level that has been subjectively dictated by you.

but i certainly appreciate the feedback. thanks."

i hope this pretty clears up the situation.

what im saying here is im fed up of trying to reason with you becuase you dont understand what im saying no matter how many ways i say it, and im just telling you how it is now :)

Thanks for clearing up my comments WhiteWashMan.
    Kippy

kippy wrote:
    Thanks for clearing up my comments WhiteWashMan.
    Kippy

well, i dont know about clearing up your comments, i certainly wouldnt presume to speak on your behalf.
    i would rather hope that i just gave my opinion on what you said :)

Thank you for taking the time to listen to, and address my concerns.

were your concerns addressed?

are you still worried about the state of play of some forums?

Well thanks for your opinions then...much valued!
    Again-the mods dont get enough praise-it is a tough job and without them this whole online community would not be as successful as it has been and will hopefully continue to be.
    Kippy

• Advertisement

were your concerns addressed?

are you still worried about the state of play of some forums?
    They were pretty much addressed. As you know I'm only here a few months so I didn't realise that traffic ebbed and flowed in forums so much. I noticed a lull of about two weeks (roughly) and thought that this was long term trend. The rest of my logic I tried to explain above. The forums are doing well now so yes, my concerns were addressed.

good.
    by the way, if you do a search through a forums history, you can see generally how it does over a couple of months.

hell, i started up the work forum, and it used to get about a post a week when it started, but now its always full, and thats nice.
    but, you know, some days, no one posts at all.

dont worry too much about it.

if the facility is there, it will get used.
    if it doesnt, then after some time, it will get removed.
    this place is pretty fluid and can change when it needs to.

and we have seen this a hundred times.
    which is why people (myself included) tend to get a little bit annoyed when you try and explain for the 15th time this year to someone that the forums are really actually ok.

im all for suggestions, but believe us when we say we know what were doing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I believe you, WhiteWashMan.

Advertisement