Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renting Out A Parking Space??

Options
  • 24-04-2006 12:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I just moved into an apartment it town, (beside Jervis St Centre) which includes a parking space in an underground, secure car park with 24hr access.

I dont drive, so I was thinking about renting it out to someone, for say €100 per month.

Has anyone done this (either as the Owner or renter?)

I'm just wondering about the 'legality' of it, i.e. is it frowned upon by landlords?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Technically it is Sub-Letting, and is probably not permitted under your contract.

But, what they don't know, etc. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

jebusmusic wrote:
    I just moved into an apartment it town, (beside Jervis St Centre) which includes a parking space in an underground, secure car park with 24hr access.

I dont drive, so I was thinking about renting it out to someone, for say €100 per month.

Has anyone done this (either as the Owner or renter?)

I'm just wondering about the 'legality' of it, i.e. is it frowned upon by landlords?

Its the landlords, if you are not using it the landlord will prob rent out himself. You would not be allowed to let it and take money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I think if I lived somewhere and found out that another resident was giving access to the "secure" car park to a non-resident, I'd be pretty peeved! Just my tuppence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

Big Nelly wrote:
    Its the landlords, if you are not using it the landlord will prob rent out himself. You would not be allowed to let it and take money.

The way i see it is that if the apartment didnt have any parking the rent would probably be (around €100) less than the €1000 p/m it is now.

So I'm paying rent for a parking space I'm not using.

Cos theres no way the parking space isnt a factor when the landlord is deciding the rent amount!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

i know somebody that did this and no problem at all just set payment by dd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

I rented a space for a couple of years in the apt complex on end of Wolfe Tone st/abbey street from a girl i knew who lived there.

There is no problem renting it out - the management company (Keenan) that run that apartment complex I rented in own about 20 spaces there and rent them out to individuals.

if you want a quick letting to a business person just pop into Axa on Wolfe Tone st and you'll probably rent no prob or else post here and I'll find someone in Axa to rent it - have lots of mates paying to park in Jervis or Virgin cinema complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jebusmusic

ifah wrote:
    if you want a quick letting to a business person just pop into Axa on Wolfe Tone st and you'll probably rent no prob or else post here and I'll find someone in Axa to rent it - have lots of mates paying to park in Jervis or Virgin cinema complex.

If you know someone who wants it that'd be great.
    They can have it for €100 p/m, pay by d.d.

PM me if you can put me in touch with one of your mates who's paying for parking, or put them in touch with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

If anyone is interested, or knows someone who might be interested, I have a car space available for rent until (at least) 31st April 2007: The Hardwicke, Brunswick St., D7, €100 per month (pm for more info).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Landlords permission is req'd, and possibly also that of the Mangement Co. who may provide centralised services for the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Landlords permission is req'd, and possibly also that of the Mangement Co. who may provide centralised services for the block.
    Point taken, but I am the landlord in this case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭nag

if what you're renting includes the rental of the car parking space then unless theres a "no sub-letting" clause in your contract then you can rent it out afaik

alternatively, have you considered asking for a reduction in the price based upon the fact that you dont want to space in the first place? instead of charging someone €100 p/m why not get €100 p/m taken off your rent :idea:

Advertisement