Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio - How much sand ?

Options
  • 24-04-2006 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

I'm just about to lay my patio ...and was wondering how much sand "ROUGHLY" would i need?

The patio size is 4.5m x 4.5m ..I was thinking about a ton? Would this be too much or too little?
    Cheers
    Daz

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Breezzzzze

I think compacted sand is about 1700 kg/m3. I don't know what depth of sand you're using, but using this weight, a 50mm sand layer would weigh 0.05m x 4.5m x 4.5m x 1.7T/m3 = c. 1.73 T which is a lot more than you were considering.

I may be wrong - someone please correct me if I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭coxy123

Hi,

I am actually about to lay a crazy paving patio over the next few weeks. Am planning on putting in a sub-base of possibly screeding and a concrete base also. Approx. size is 12m sq. I still havn't dug out for the base will hopefully do this over the w/e. I am also interested in knowing quantities needed?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

Slabbed the same size ...

Used 2 tonnes of stone - compacted that - then a layer of sand (slightly less than a tonne) leveled that - then layed the slabs.

What did you use to compact and what depth did you need to dig out...any other tips welcome..tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

What did you use to compact and what depth did you need to dig out

You can hire a compactor, they're pretty cheap. I'd say 4 to 8 inches should do it, though it's been some time since I layed any patios so I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

coxy123 wrote:
    What did you use to compact
    I rented what's known (i think) as a whacker.
    coxy123 wrote:
    what depth did you need to dig out
    Between 2" & 3" - not that i measured it. I just removed the sod really.

Then to level it - i got two 3/4" bars and laid them on the broken stone fill.
    Shovelled in the sand - then slid a plank across the bars until the sand was all level.

Yeah, think they are called a whacker all-right. Work out at about €35 p.d to hire. I have just ordered 3 T of 804 grading and 1.5 T of sand for job.

Advertisement