Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Does a Caller Know your Overseas?

• 24-04-2006 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Im travelling outwith my home country (UK) for a few days with a colleague. There is a mobile roaming service in the country Im going to so any caller from UK will be able to call me no prob. However Id prefer the caller doesnt know Im overseas (ie I dont want the country code to appear on the callers mobile phone). Is there any settings that I can set to facilitate this?
    I am on Vodafone network with a Nokia 6101
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It should show up on their phone with just your normal, generic phone number (for example, when I get a call from a friend roaming, all I see is +35385 XXXXXXX. You don't get a +44 if he's in the UK or a +1 if they are in the US etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 asdfg3

BuffyBot wrote:
    It should show up on their phone with just your normal, generic phone number (for example, when I get a call from a friend roaming, all I see is +35385 XXXXXXX. You don't get a +44 if he's in the UK or a +1 if they are in the US etc.

Thx. Thing is I got a call from my stockbroker earlier this year when I was in Tenerife. First thing he said "Are you abroad?". So I think the Spain country code must have showed up on his phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭seagizmo

when you are overseas, the ringing tone that the person hears when they call you will be different. It depends on the country you're in but it is noticeable, so to answer your question, if the person ringing you is paying attention and knows a little about telecommunications, yes. If they don't and are too busy looking at something shiney until you answer, no.

They tones are listed in the phone book for anyone with more time than sense ;p

SG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 asdfg3

Thx. I guess my broker's prob on the phone non-stop so could easily pick up a change in ring-tone. cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

asdfg3 wrote:
    Im travelling outwith my home country (UK) for a few days with a colleague. There is a mobile roaming service in the country Im going to so any caller from UK will be able to call me no prob. However Id prefer the caller doesnt know Im overseas (ie I dont want the country code to appear on the callers mobile phone). Is there any settings that I can set to facilitate this?
    I am on Vodafone network with a Nokia 6101
    Thx
    are you afraid your wife will call you lol:D ,only joking but there is an unusual tone when they are dialling your phone when you are abroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

I'm on O2 in the UK and my calls seem to get 'bounced' via a London number when I am abroad.
    So when I call people, it shows up +44207........

No idea why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

as an earlier poster said, your ringing tone changes when abroad so observant callers will know you're abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Also, if you call back home, if you call an isdn line the call source flag (callington i think) is set to international rather than national.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

If you are in the United Kingdom the ring tone is the same as here but if you are in Continental Europe its a long tone and is very different so they would know . So you are safe in the UK but no where else!!!!

Advertisement