Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PowerStrip, Resolutions & LCD TV's

• 24-04-2006 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.

Im trying to sort out the display on my htpc. the edges are cut off due to overscan.

On the Philps website i found the following info on my TV.

Panel resolution : 1366 x 768p

Supported Display Resolution

Computer formats : 640 x 480, 60HZ, 800 x 600, 60HZ, 1024 x 768, 60HZ

Video formats : 640 x 480i - 1Fh, 640 x 480p - 2Fh, 720 x 576i - 1Fh, 720 x 576p - 2Fh, 1280 x 720p - 3Fh, 1920 x 1080i - 2Fh

Which one is my TV's native resolution?
    Which one will give me the best quality when hooked up to my 6800GT?

Thanks

Wavey.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

First off , what way are you connecting , are you using a TV out , if so this is converting to PAL and this is not what you want to do ,
    This will give a picture but text is practically unreadable.

Connect using your native PC monitor connection and use whatever input on the TV is appropriate , if it has a PC input use that , and set the resolution on the PC to 1024 X 768 , that should match the 720P mode on the TV.

If your TV does not have a PC input but has a HDMI input then use a DVI to HDMI cable to connect.

If your video card came with a component cable connector then use that !
    The above are in order of best to worst. PC input first , then HDMI ( best for DVD's or satellite , OK for PC but should be reserved for your main source ) and lastly component video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks for the reply Andy.

I am using a DVI to HDMI lead to connect my gfx card (DVI) to the TV (HDMI)

Would the 1080i mode give a better picture than 720p?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Actually no , all that will happen is that the TV will upscale the signal , and this might affect the picture , and probably not for the better.

Y'see , the resolution of the TV is 1368 x 768 , the 1078 x 768 res on the PC is the best match for this , ( its the vertical res thats the most important and they are the same ,) so this should give you the best and most readable picture , readable in that you can actually read the icons and the text in windows.

Note that , for various reasons , the 768 vertical resolution will equate to 720 actual visible lines , the same as the 625 lines of standard tv equates to 576 lines ! ( Some are not shown and used for other funtions etc. )

Advertisement