Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Out

• 24-04-2006 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭

I'm due to build soon, and researching various parts. One thing I'm not sure on is TV Out.

Initially I'll be outputting to a 32" Philips WS CRT, which has Scart and Composite connections.

I'll be outputting through S-Video (SKY+ box) to the HTPC, and back to the TV with my graphics card(not bought yet) probably a Nvidia 6600.

What exactly do I need here, I've read a lot on other forums about using RGB>Scart cables and what not, maybe this won't matter to me on a CRT TV.

Also would a cable such as this svideo>scart but useful.

Thanks lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

My opinion, is that I'd rather be watching the higher quality of Sky+ output (RGB Scart) straight to the TVs RGB Scart input.

I don't know if your Sky+ box has a second output, but if so, that's what I'd use to connect to the MCE machine, you can buy a composite/s-video scart adapter for a about a tenner at most tv shops, d.i.d., power city, totterdales etc. Using this on the second output of your sky box and an s-video cable from it to your s-video input on the pc will get your picture, you'll also need to hook up audio cables, as s-video doesn't carry sound.

Picture Quality Lowest to highest (to the best of my knowledge)

Composite
    S-video
    RGB Scart
    Component
    DVI
    HDMI

Cheerio
    Howard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The Sky+ box has two outputs, Scart and Svideo(with audio composite), and a Video Scart In.

My tv has two scart inputs, and 1 composite input.

Could you walk me through what goes where?

I'm hugely confused, Ted

Howdy,
    Take your Scart output from Sky+ and connect it to your Scart input on your TV.

Take your composite video/audio output from your Sky+ and connect them directly to your Tuner card on your PC.

(I had been assuming you would have had two scart outputs)

Anyway, this is just my suggestion, you might want to see if any other parties have a different suggestion.

Cheerio
    Howard

I'd still require output from the HTPC to the sky box then, or would I?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

From the computer to the Sky box, no.

• Advertisement

Nope, your HTPC will connect to your TV.

You use the graphics card output to your TV via it's second scart adapter. The graphics card output will depend on the type you get.

Cheerio
    Howard

Ok doky, so connect sky to tv via scart, sky to htpc via composite/svideo, and htpc to tv via svideo/composite through the gfx card.

Would that svideo>scart cable be of use then ?

Thanks lads.

You might find the svideo>scart adatper useful for connecting your graphics card to your TV.

You've got the steps right though! Good luck, it's a blast when it's all set-up and running.

Cheerio
    Howard

Advertisement