Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question

Options
  • 24-04-2006 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I currently have a 256mb sapphire x800 card. It's a nice card and it still runs new games fairly well but I want something a bit better, but at the same time don't want to go too overboard.

The thing is, my x800 is powered entirely from the pci-e slot and doesn't need any extra power from the psu. This suits me perfectly as I already am using a fairly poor DELL psu which is already powering a 3.4ghz ht p4, 2 optical drives and 2 hds.

Are there any decent new cards that will outperform my x800 by a decent margin that are powered entirely from the pci-e slot? I think someone said on another thread the 7600gt didn't need any extra power from the psu....

also - how much should I expect to get for my 256mb x800?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Not sure really what you would get for the X800.

As for whats a bit better without going over board then yes something around the 7600GT would be the correct ball park. You can see how everything stacks up in Digit Lifes latest March 06 3D Digest.

I think the 7600GT is the only part that doesn't have a power connector everything higher including ATI's temporary competitor to the 7600GT the X1800GTO both require the extra power connector.

You might just get away with a GPU like the X1800GTO that requires the power connector with 2 HDs and 2 optical drives if the PSU is a 300w or 350w model if you had any more hardware than that then I would definitely say a its a no go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Cool, thanks. I think the 7600gt is what I'll go for.

Someone on the FS boards is selling an oem 6800 - is this card any better then my x800? I didn't think it was better enough to warrant actually changing my x800 for it but maybe I'm wrong...you always seems to be the man to ask 8t8 :)

Its a Dell psu, either 305 or 350w, and even though dell psus are always underrated I still don't trust it with anything too powerful.

Advertisement