Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet - first time home connection. Value?

• 24-04-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi - just bought my first decent home pc and want to connect up the internet (yes.. starting at the basics!). Usage would be mainly for surfing, music & video downloads. (Evenings and weekends only). Location - Dingle Peninsula.

Looking for advice please as regards connection, line rentals etc etc.

In short:

there is an existing phone line in the house, just has to be connected.
    Do I have to do this first with Eircom or are there other better companies out there? I'm aware of smarttelecom but believe you have to be an exisitng phone customer?

Irish broadband: I have been told (by a very unsure rep over the phone)that we can receive Ripwave from Irish broadband, approx €19 per month. No phone line necessary.
    - Do they have a good reputation? Are there other competitors out there that I can use?

Apologies for the basic's - we all need to start somewhere I guess :o
    All advice welcome.. thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Plek Trum wrote:
    Hi - just bought my first decent home pc and want to connect up the internet (yes.. starting at the basics!). Usage would be mainly for surfing, music & video downloads. (Evenings and weekends only). Location - Dingle Peninsula.

Looking for advice please as regards connection, line rentals etc etc.

In short:

there is an existing phone line in the house, just has to be connected.
    Do I have to do this first with Eircom or are there other better companies out there? I'm aware of smarttelecom but believe you have to be an exisitng phone customer?

Irish broadband: I have been told (by a very unsure rep over the phone)that we can receive Ripwave from Irish broadband, approx €19 per month. No phone line necessary.
    - Do they have a good reputation? Are there other competitors out there that I can use?

Apologies for the basic's - we all need to start somewhere I guess :o
    All advice welcome.. thanks!

As far as I know there's a bit of a catch 22 with the phone line, it has to be live to be tested, so after the paying the connection fee it still may fail.

if it does pass and smart is an option for you, they're probably your best bet.

You could also look at maybe NTL if it's an option or Magnet

If you search through the broadband forum you will see plenty of advice there.

There's a broadband forum where you'll get a better repsonse to this.

Irish broadband, have a bad reputation, poor service and a poor customer service, I use them personally haven't had many problems but the one I had was a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Now /this/ one I'll move. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭TommyGun

I went with BT to set up the line from scratch.

You get the line and BB for as little E35 per month.

So far so good, getting broadband during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Seems like a good deal. There are so MANY offers and promotions out there that it gets right confusing.. let alone the 'hidden' costs!

Is there any one website (Irish) dedicated to this? A comparitive one that tells you the best option for you? I know that www.callcosts.ie is good for mobiles. Anything similar for internet access in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭quazzy

Plek Trum wrote:
    Seems like a good deal. There are so MANY offers and promotions out there that it gets right confusing.. let alone the 'hidden' costs!

Is there any one website (Irish) dedicated to this? A comparitive one that tells you the best option for you? I know that www.callcosts.ie is good for mobiles. Anything similar for internet access in Ireland?

Try here

http://www.broadband.gov.ie/bbinfo/home.aspx

Q

• Advertisement

That website say the following is available in Dingle.
    Broadband Providers in Your Area
    The following companies provide Broadband Services in Dingle , Kerry

Check if your landline is on a DSL enabled exchange (opens new window).
    DSL (* subject to survey) Provider Website E-Mail Telephone
    Eircom DSL www.eircom.ie directsales@eircom.net 1901
    UTV Internet u.tv/utvclicksilver/ support@u.tv 1890 926000
    Leap Broadband DSL www.leap.ie sales@leap.ie 01-6114430
    Netsource www.netsource.ie sales@netsource.ie 01-4336000
    Perlico Communications www.perlico.com customercare@perlico.ie 01 2933500
    Pure Telecom DSL www.puretelecom.ie info@puretelecom.ie 01-2895555
    Strencom www.strencom.net/internetaccess.php adsl@strencom.net 1890 924392
    COM1 DSL www.com1.ie info@com1.ie 01 4888 900
    BT www.btireland.ie residentialsales@btireland.ie 1800 923 923
    e3 Broadband www.e3broadband.ie sales@e3broadband.ie 1850 303 333
    Imag!ne Broadband www.imagine.ie sales@imagine.ie 1890 92 92 92
    Access Telecom www.imagine.ie sales@accesstelcom.ie 1890 92 92 92
    Cinergi Telecom www.cinergi.ie customercare@cinergi.ie 1850 923023

Satellite (* subject to survey) Provider Website E-Mail Telephone
    Digiweb Satellite broadband.digiweb.ie sales@digiweb.ie 042 939 3300
    Mediasat www.mediasat.ie sales@mediasat.ie 1850 20 2144 (LoCall)
    Applied Solutions www.ADSLnow.ie ask@applied.ie 1890 924 854
    Orbitlink www.orbitlink.ie info@educom.ie 01-8601995
    Pure Telecom Satellite www.puretelecom.ie info@puretelecom.ie 01-2895555
    e3 Broadband www.e3broadband.ie sales@e3broadband.ie 1850 303333
    ehotspot www.ehotspot.ie info@ehotspot.ie 0044 1262 409109
    Avonline www.avonlinebroadband.co.uk broadband@avonline.co.uk +44 (0) 800 073 1102
    Eircom Satellite www.eircom.ie directsales@eircom.net 1901
    Fastnet Broadband www.fastnetbroadband.com info@fastnetbroadband.com (01) 2303746
    Cross Country Broadband Ltd. www.crosscountrybroadband.com customerservice@crosscountrybroadband.com 01 4693476

Want to compare the Broadband Services (in terms of price, speed, etc.) of these and other Broadband Providers?

Found what you were looking for? Want to see some relevant questions you may want to ask these Broadband Providers?

Why not tell a friend about this site!

If these services do not suit your requirements you can vote for more Broadband if you want a greater choice of services in your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Also try http://www.getbroadband.ie/

Although it doesn't list all providers, eg Smart Telecom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rufio

TommyGun wrote:
    I went with BT to set up the line from scratch.

You get the line and BB for as little E35 per month.

So far so good, getting broadband during the week.

How did you get your line from scratch with BT? When I go to subscribe the broadband+line it asks me for an eircom number though.

Fabio

rufio wrote:
    How did you get your line from scratch with BT? When I go to subscribe the broadband+line it asks me for an eircom number though.

Fabio

Fabio,
    I had no phone line at all. It was a new house. I rang BT and they set everything up. (A Eircom man did come to the house to install the box).

I got Broadband last week, i got the wireless modem. It works fine with a wired connection, but it will not work correctly wirelessly. Still trying to get it working.

TommyGun wrote:

Fabio,
    I had no phone line at all. It was a new house. I rang BT and they set everything up. (A Eircom man did come to the house to install the box).

I got Broadband last week, i got the wireless modem. It works fine with a wired connection, but it will not work correctly wirelessly. Still trying to get it working.

So you just paid the 40 connection fee and you get connected without any previous eircom line? That's cool.

I'll try to call BT, even if I have serious difficulties understanding irish people at the phone.. I'm in Irleland since just a month and talking at the phone it's always a nightmare... :)

Regarding your wireless connection, which kind of router do you have? Have you tried with different wireless adapters? Check also if they didn't put any WEP/WPA key that you may not know.

Fabio

• Advertisement

rufio wrote:
    So you just paid the 40 connection fee and you get connected without any previous eircom line? That's cool.

I'll try to call BT, even if I have serious difficulties understanding Irish people at the phone.. I'm in Ireland since just a month and talking at the phone it's always a nightmare... :)

Regarding your wireless connection, which kind of router do you have? Have you tried with different wireless adaptors? Check also if they didn't put any WEP/WPA key that you may not know.

Fabio

Fabio,
    I did have to pay 40 for connection and I paid an extra 40 for the wireless option. I think there is a standard connection fee E127 to set up a phone line from scratch, but i have not been charged that (yet).
    The situation with the wireless working is getting complex.

XP pro is the OS.

Using the 802.11g

What modem/router/wireless cards (make and model)
    ZyXEL Prestige 660HW - wireless router,
    the 3 laptops are Centrino with Intel (R) PROWireless 2200BG wireless cards

What encryption do you have? I have switched this off

I am using the Intel PROWireless software to manage the wireless not the standard XP software. (I have try

How are you assigning ip address? Static or Dynamic?
    The addresses are assigned each logon (IP address obtained automatically) so take it that is is Dynamic

Ye, its weird as it shows a full connection but the traffic is almost zero.
    There was one thing that i noticed - The router would show as connected but the network would not show as available. The router works fine wired so the line is OK.

I will try a few things tonight, i will change to the 802.11b to see if it makes any differance

TommyGun wrote:
    Fabio,
    I did have to pay 40 for connection and I paid an extra 40 for the wireless option. I think there is a standard connection fee E127 to set up a phone line from scratch, but i have not been charged that (yet).
    The situation with the wireless working is getting complex.

XP pro is the OS.

Using the 802.11g

What modem/router/wireless cards (make and model)
    ZyXEL Prestige 660HW - wireless router,
    the 3 laptops are Centrino with Intel (R) PROWireless 2200BG wireless cards

What encryption do you have? I have switched this off

I am using the Intel PROWireless software to manage the wireless not the standard XP software. (I have try

How are you assigning ip address? Static or Dynamic?
    The addresses are assigned each logon (IP address obtained automatically) so take it that is is Dynamic

Ye, its weird as it shows a full connection but the traffic is almost zero.
    There was one thing that i noticed - The router would show as connected but the network would not show as available. The router works fine wired so the line is OK.

I will try a few things tonight, i will change to the 802.11b to see if it makes any differance

I rang BT and they told me that they will setup my line through eircom as well but the activation fees will be forwarded to me. Also the connection time is around to 6-8 weeks that's too much.

I'm currently covered by Digiweb Metro which costs 42 per month and asks 100 euro for activation. It's not cheap and also they ask access to the roof (it annoys me to ask the authorization to the land lord). I think I'll wait for NTL availability but don't know when Phibsboro (Connaught Street) will be covered.

About your problem I'd try to configure static IP addresses on your PC (make sure it's under the same subnet of the router), sometimes DHCP doesn't work well..

Fabio

rufio wrote:
    I rang BT and they told me that they will setup my line through eircom as well but the activation fees will be forwarded to me. Also the connection time is around to 6-8 weeks that's too much.

I'm currently covered by Digiweb Metro which costs 42 per month and asks 100 euro for activation. It's not cheap and also they ask access to the roof (it annoys me to ask the authorization to the land lord). I think I'll wait for NTL availability but don't know when Phibsboro (Connaught Street) will be covered.

About your problem I'd try to configure static IP addresses on your PC (make sure it's under the same subnet of the router), sometimes DHCP doesn't work well..

Fabio

They (BT) told me that too, but it was all done in two weeks.

I'll try static IP

Dup deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

rufio wrote:

If your place has a disconnected line, it's free to re-activate. Otherwise I would try to get the landlord to pay for the phone connection.

Blaster99 wrote:
    If your place has a disconnected line, it's free to re-activate. Otherwise I would try to get the landlord to pay for the phone connection.

Unfortunately not, you have to pay 25 euro. Look here:

How much does it cost?
    In-situ: 24.99 (inc. VAT)* Pre-cabled: 49.99 (inc. VAT).** Standard: €121.93 (inc. VAT).***
    * In-situ connection: where all line work is completely in place and there has been previous service at the address.
    ** Pre-cabled connection: where all line work is completely in place but there has not been any previous service at the address.
    *** Standard connection: where no line work is in place and there has been no previous service at the address.

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1393570212.1146665938@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgaddhjgjgdfgcefeceiedfgodfik.0&cid=FirstHomePhoneLineRes&site=Res&chanId=536888255&storeChanId=536888255&clickIdAction=addClickID_gateway&clickIdTo=/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp&clickFrom=/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp&clickFromCID=PhoneLinesRes&clickFromCategory=null

Fabio

Fabio[/QUOTE]

Due to problems with the router, i have ordered a new one, due Monday.

Hopefully this will solve the problem, I've checked everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

rufio wrote:
    Unfortunately not, you have to pay 25 euro. Look here:

They often have free reconnect promotions. The web site might not be up to date or the latest promotion has expired. €25 is still better than €120...

Advertisement