Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you 'sleep' with him?

Options
  • 24-04-2006 3:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

hey, just a short question for ye.

If you were to say you 'slept' with someone, or so and so slept with so and so, what exactly would you mean by it.

I've known people who have had different definitions for 'slept', from just fooling about to having full intercourse.

what do ye think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It depends on who you are talking to and what thier frame of reference is.
    I'd say sleeping and shagging are two different things and just cos you have done one with a person does not mean you have done both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd imagine general perception from saying you slept with somebody is that you had intercourse with them.

I've slept with lots of people who I fooled about with without intercourse, but I still wouldn't say "I slept with them", despite the fact that I did actually sleep with them...:)

Its just a phrase automatically meaning sex to most people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Have slept with many of my female friends in the same bed with nothing happening bar the odd hug.

Generally when you do spend the night with somebody in a sexual sense not much sleep in involved :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

Chief--- wrote:
    Generally when you do spend the night with somebody in a sexual sense not much sleep in involved :cool:

Though there are those who only engage in foreplay with their partner "if she wakes up, yea.."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Cool, I've only slept with a few guys so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Unless otherwise indicated, I'd take it to mean had sex with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ridgewalker

This is how I understood it also and so you can imagine my upset when someone I had not 'slept' with, feels perfectly entitled to go around saying that he did.

anyway, thanks for the feedback everyone

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I wouldn't jump to conclusions if someone said they 'slept with' somebody. If I were to say it myself I'd probably clarify either way if necessary.

Unless otherwise indicated, I'd take it to mean they spent the night together, further details of which aren't really my business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Unless otherwise indicated, I'd take it to mean they spent the night together, further details of which aren't really my business.
    This is exactly my understanding of the term as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

I've known people who have had different definitions for 'slept', from just fooling about to having full intercourse.

How is "sleeping" with someone defining whether you had full intercourse or not. Id tell a friend i had slept with that guy from the other night but whether we fcuked or not is something id never share. Imo if you "slept" with someone could mean doing anything with this person in bed, and imo should be kept to the two (or three or four etc) of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Well, my understanding of the term 'sleeping with someone' is usually sexual intercourse but I suppose it doesn't have to be.

Although, I wouldn't know as I've never had it but I'd like to......:D

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

UU wrote:
    Well, my understanding of the term 'sleeping with someone' is usually sexual intercourse but I suppose it doesn't have to be.

Although, I wouldn't know as I've never had it but I'd like to......:D

...www.gaydar.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Geesh thanks carbonkid! Who knows, I might meet my Prince Charming :D !!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I slept with her means sex, unless there is a clause saying nothing happened.
    That is what it is generally taken to mean, as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

UU wrote:
    I might meet my Prince Charming :D !!!

Or a Prince Charles. Lots of .... nah I won't say it. Too easy.

Advertisement