Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Tax relief

Options
  • 24-04-2006 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not it is possible to get tax back if one worked in the uk for a period of 8 months or so and then went back to ireland, would they be eligible to get tax relief after the april tax year in the uk?

I know it is possible to leave ireland and work in the uk and then claim irish tax relief for the months of the year you did not work in ireland but i'm enquiring if it can be done the other way around too...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I believe you will be entitled to some refund, at worst you'll probably get 4 months worth of yoru annual tax free allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

This is a residency issue; by the sounds of it you will be considered to have been fully resident in Ireland for the duration of time you spent working in the UK. Therefore, you are liable to Irish tax on any monies earned abroad. You will also be entitled to the full Irish tax credits.

As tax has been deducted in the UK, you will be allowed a credit against any Irish tax to the value of UK tax paid. Contact your local tax office for further advice on this.

Advertisement