Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N Roses "Lost" Album - with Slash and Duff and Matt

• 24-04-2006 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

In this Wikipedia article, there are quite a few references to a lost album of 12-13 songs recorded shortly before Slashs departure.

Im sceptical that it exists myself. I believe it was more damage control at the time from Duff - what do people think?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axl_Rose

The more you crossreference Slash's and Matt's interviews, the weirder it gets. Slash interview was done just before the Pepsi Island Festival in Hungary (August 14th). Matt's interview was done when Neurotic Outsiders played in France (September 23rd ). Matt said a lot of songs had been worked on. Meanwhile, Slash had been out doing Snakepit. Once Slash arrives, Duff and Matt almost simultaneously release their album and leave to tour behind it. Matt feared his touring with Snakepit would jeopardize the band, whereas touring with Neurotic is OK. And who did these seven songs? Slash was not around, not until late September

"Let's put [Matt's absence from Snakepit] to politics, put it that way. I think that would have further accentuated the situation between Axl and I had I done that. It was financial reasons as well." - Slash, 95

"Axl asked me not to go on tour with Slash. [...] I didn't want to endanger Guns N' Roses. If I toured with Snakepit, it could have cause serious consequences. It could have divide GNR." - Matt, 96

"I haven't rehearsed with them, or even been in the same room with them, since before the Snakepit record came out (in ´95)." - Slash, 96 <= Namely Axl; Slash shared the stage with NO in late '95.

"I had a nine-hour rehearsal yesterday (not GNR). Tonight, I've got to go home, pack and get on a plane to Hungary."
    "The plan," announces Slash, "is for Duff (McKagan, bass) and Matt (Sorum, drums) to take off their band, Neurotic Outsiders, for a while., leaving me and Axl to write stuff." - Slash, 96

H.R.: Guns N' Roses is supposed to be in rehearsal and you're in Paris. Not really convenient…
    Matt: Axl is real cool with the Neurotic, he loves the album and he doesn't say it to be polite.

Matt: Right now, [Axl]'s playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years. [...]
    H.R.: Since Axl is playing guitar does that mean there won't be any replacement for Gilby?
    Matt: No, there's someone, but I can't tell you his name.
    H.R.: Is he well-known?
    Matt: No. He's unknown. But I can't tell you his name because I don't know if he will tour with us. - Matt, 96

--

Q: Are Guns N' Roses back together in the studio as a band, or are you recording your various parts separately?
    Slash: At this point in time we have only been collaborating together. But we have been doing mostly Axl's material.

Q: What direction will the new album take? Will you do alot of different things like Use your Issulion or a more hard edge like Appetite?
    Slash: I would like it to be hard edged like Appetite, but at this moment in time I have no idea what direction it's going in. I have only been back in the band for three weeks and my relationship with Axl right now is sort of at a stand still.

Q: Is Axl going to be the permanent rythum player? Or is that classified information?
    Slash: As far as I know, Axl's intention is not to be the rhythm guitar player. - Slash, 16th Oct. '96

--

Was the elusive new guitar player Paul Tobias or Robin Finck? Place your bets.Id guess Matt was refering to Paul Huge because he said the reason his name could not be revealed was because he wasnt certain whether he'd be touring with them, and ultimately Paul left GnR because he wasnt comfortable on the road for a long time, or in a live atmosphere as much as the studio. Obviously if it was Robin, he would have been more than willing to tour as thats exactly what he was for NIN, a touring musician.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

it was paul "huge" tobais as finck didint join the band until 99 i think theres lots o9f stories theories etc and i would not believe that wikipedia crap anyway as the majority of it is "hear say" lets just hope that oe day all the crap will be forgotten about and we will have a full blown gnr reunion but not before chinese democracy because i really wanna hear this album!!

Advertisement