Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.Sc. in Statistics ?

Options
  • 24-04-2006 4:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hello everyone,
    I'm strongly considering doing the MSc in Statistics in UCD next year.
    Has anyone here done it or does anyone know anyone who has done it?
    Is it a worthwhile Masters?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

Is anybody able to help?
    I'd like to hear some opinions on the course before applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Ok, i can't really help as I'm still an undergrad, but I'm kind of interested in doing an M.Sc in Stats myself next year (If the plan of being a tax accountant goes down the drain!).
    Personally I think it looks like a great qualification. I've done a lot of Stats in my degree so far and in my opinion, the quality of the lecturers is very good.
    I would think UCD have the best Stats Dept in the country.

I presume you've done Stats in another college beforehand?

I also suppose you've checked the website and had a look at the programme?
    http://www.ucd.ie/statdept/msc.doc

Patrick Murphy is a really friendly lecturer who you could email if you have questions.
    http://www.ucd.ie/statdept/staff/pmurphy.html

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Hey Johnathon, the M.Sc in Stats is a good qualification but it all depends on what you want to do with it afterwards. It seems the pure Stats masters is more someone who would be considering a career in academia whereas Smurfit would offer a master in Quantitative Finance which would cover a lot of similar material but would be focused at those looking to apply their knowledge in the financial arena. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The Master of Management Science in the Smurfit Business School might also be of interest, it has a lot of stats.

Advertisement