Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

growing peppers

Options
  • 24-04-2006 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

anyone grow peppers in Ireland - have some small plants that I have grown from need and am wondering what the next step is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

TheMonster wrote:
    anyone grow peppers in Ireland - have some small plants that I have grown from need and am wondering what the next step is?

as in chilli peppers? stick them in a greenhouse or on a windowsill in good sun, water regularly and feed every 2 weeks with a good tomato food.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

as in chilli peppers? stick them in a greenhouse or on a windowsill in good sun, water regularly and feed every 2 weeks with a good tomato food.
    This seems to work. My sister-in-law is Mexican and she grows them (red chilli peppers) this way on the window sill in her conservatory. Plenty of sun appears to be the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

crosstownk wrote:
    This seems to work. My sister-in-law is Mexican and she grows them (red chilli peppers) this way on the window sill in her conservatory. Plenty of sun appears to be the key.
    wow 2 replies :eek: didn't think there would be anyone else

there are japenos and cayennes

do I need to seperate them into invidual plants? they are on a window sill currently that gets loads of sun and has a radioator under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My sis-in-law grows each plant in a seperate pot. I don't know if this is necessary - it's probably the way she prefers to do it. Some die off so maybe it's just easier to dispose of the dead ones this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

TheMonster wrote:
    wow 2 replies :eek: didn't think there would be anyone else

there are japenos and cayennes

do I need to seperate them into invidual plants? they are on a window sill currently that gets loads of sun and has a radioator under it.

The radiator will knacker them. They will like the heat up to a point but it will dry them out. Light is much more important than the direct heat.

Pot them up into individual plants; one plant per pot. They eventually grow to small shrubs about 1 metre tall and will produce peppers in late Summer. You will only need a few plants. Eventually, they will need to be grown in pots the size of a small bucket or thereabouts. Ordinary garden center plant compost will do fine.

Desmo

• Advertisement

I agree with Desmo. They do very well with direct sun, soon you will find that they take over your window, come winter last year there was next to no light coming in my room because of the number of plants on my sill!! :)

This year i kept them in till the frost went and got one of those plastic greenhouse things and stuck them in there, they are loving it - as long as they get enough water.

once they are big enough you should definitely move them to one pot per shoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

How big is big enough to move them. They are about 3/4 inches now.

The radiator is only on for about 3 hours early in the morning and they are about 2 feet above it.

I would think 4 inches should be enough, be careful to tear any of the roots when moving, helps if you soak the soil first.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

They're plenty big to move. Give them a very good soaking before you move them. Have their individual pots ready with compost in them.

Using a pencil or something similar, very gently ease the roots of an individual plant free of the compost - hold them only by the leaves, never the stem as this can damage them permanently. Select the bushiest, not the lankiest, plants to transplant - chances are you'll have tonnes and will only want to pot on a few.

Then picking them up by the leaves, drop them gently into a hole in the compost in the new individual pot, very gently fill in the compost around the roots with the pencil, and water well. Keep them out of the sun, and away from the radiator most importantly, for a week or so till they recover from the shock of being transplanted. Their permanent home should be in a very sunny, bright spot, but away from the radiator/turn it off. Try to open the window occassionaly to improve airflow around them.

Don't pot them on into too big an individual pot yet - better to use a small pot, and then pot them on into a bigger one later on.

Advertisement