Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB keeps dropping

• 24-04-2006 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi
    Having problems with my BB it keeps dropping off and starts up all by itself. I am with Esat BT. I have a ZyXEL modem. I have tried my mates modem ( Same as mine ) Still having same problem. I have checked the phone cable all seems to be fine. I am having no problems with my phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Merli

I'm having the same problem - ZYXEL wireless router with ESAT BT. When using wireless, the connection drops on average around once per hour. When using the network connection it never drops. Any Ideas?
    Is this likely to be a problem on the Modem side or the PC?
    I'm using a DELL Laptop with INTEL 2100 Mini PCI Card, latest firmware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I get the same with UTV Clicksilver Plus Service, i think it may be my line but im not sure, modem is a Creative Broadband Blaster DSL Router 8133U-C1 . Ive had this problem since ive started with broadband and UTV last year, seems to disconnect less frequently in the day, but near night time it disconnects to a lower downstream speed, the lower the down speed the less disconnects i seem to get. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Merli wrote:
    I'm having the same problem - ZYXEL wireless router with ESAT BT. When using wireless, the connection drops on average around once per hour. When using the network connection it never drops. Any Ideas?
    Is this likely to be a problem on the Modem side or the PC?
    I'm using a DELL Laptop with INTEL 2100 Mini PCI Card, latest firmware.

neighbour using frequncy channel as you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

neighbour using frequncy channel as you..

Yeah that's the most likely culprit.

You can use netstumbler to scan your area for wireless networks and see what frequency channel they're using, then change to a free one (the default channel on most wireless devices seems to be 11).

This was happening to the wireless connection in my flat until we sniffed around and realised there were four networks overlapping that were using the same channel. Changed the channel in the router, and bingo.

Also, one of my buddies parents houses had a wireless router placed fairly close to a seperate wireless alarm system that caused interference. We moved the wireless router away from the alarm box and connections stopped dropping. Just another possibility...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

To the OP. I used to have BT BB and it kept dropping. I never found out why, I think it is down to dodgy phone lines but have no proof of this. In the end I changed to NTL. Not sure if that is an option for you but I gave up on DSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

f1refox wrote:
    Hi
    Having problems with my BB it keeps dropping off and starts up all by itself. I am with Esat BT. I have a ZyXEL modem. I have tried my mates modem ( Same as mine ) Still having same problem. I have checked the phone cable all seems to be fine. I am having no problems with my phone.

Same happening to me since Feb with BT. Was fine before then. BT sent new modem but still dropping/reconnecting by itself. Very frustrating. Still haven't got to bottom of it. Thought it might be upgrade in Jan from 2mb to 3mb that had something to do with it, but problems didn't start until some weeks after upgrade.:confused:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Do google search for something like 'dsl line quality' lots of material there on the line quality needed for a good stable connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It does sound as if your lines are not upto the job of supporting the BB speeds you guys have. I had the same problem and what I did was buy a new router - the line is still bad but compared to the old router the line is better and doesn't drop anymore. If you have a newish router then try D/C some of the phones in the house to see if your S/N ratio improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Merli

As I mentioned in my post above, when I'm directly connected to the Modem the connection never drops. It's only when using wireless that the connections drops on average once per hour. This would rule out any issues with quality of the phone line - At least in my case.
    Could other users who have posted on here please specify if the problem occurs when they are plugged into the modem via a network cable or if it only happens when using wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

I'm currently having the same problem with Eircom BB. I have a Netopia wireless modem but don't use the wireless, have it disabled. Connection drops frequently in the evenings/night but not too bad during the day. Tried everything from a hardware and software point of view (at 1 stage blaming Skype).

So I eventually rang eircom to get their view and surprisingly they said that my line could not take the 3mb speed and recommended that i fone sales and ask them to downgrade me to 2mb. They ran a test and said my signal kept dropping from 3200 to 2400/2200kps and below, they said this causes the signal to drop and reconnect. I said I didn't want to downgrade as since the upgrade my pings in CSS are much better because the upload went from 128k to 384k, I also share with another PC on a lan so I definately don't want to downgrade.

I heven't bothered foning the sales dept as i want to move to Smart anyway but have to wait 'till they're available in Athlone.

Hope this sheds some light......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

If your line drops frequently, I advise you to check your Signal to Noise ratio (SNR) on your modem. For a stable connection, you will need at least a mininum of 12db. Anything below that risks a drop inconnection. My modem registers 30db and hasn't dropped a connection for months at a go.

Advertisement