Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What speed should i be getting from 3Meg Smart?

• 24-04-2006 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

What should my transfer rate be?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What should my transfer rate be?

With Smart especially it should be very close to 3Meg or whatever of their products you subscribe too as they allow some overhead in the rate people sync at.

However line issues can lower that speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

330kb/s or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Have a look at Smart Broadbands own technical support site. There people are writing about abismally slow speeds. Some of it seems to depend on the distance you are from the exchange or which exchange your signal is coming from. Smart dont of course advertise this and it is difficult to find out before subscribing what your service is going to be like plus once subscribing it is difficult to get away from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Ambersky, do you work for a rival company?

All DSL based products are prone to some speed loss over distance. Smart use ADSL 2+ which is far less likely to speed loss than any of Eircom (or resellers) products and can travel much greater distances.

It is also impossible to find out what the service will be like before signing up as you can not test what does not exist. :rolleyes:

To the OP, if you think you are not getting full speed, maybe contact Smart or try their forum (I don't know the URL).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

You can actually get a rough idea of the likely speed if you know the line attenuation, which eircom determines with their line test. I don't think it's publically available information, but it's possible Smart has access to the information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 raz6

I was getting 375 with the ntl 3 meg package, whick is about the maxium you could expect. Anything over about 350 is excellent for a 3 meg line.....

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Ambersky wrote:
    I asked to stop my subscription with Smart.
    I was sent a form saying I could if I paid the rest of the years payments to get out of the contract.
    Eircom will not give me my old number back and want 130Euro reconnection fee and cant say how long it would take or if I will be without a line for any period of time.

Jeez, no wonder you're pi**ed off! :mad:

Would switching over to BT be a better option? They might be happier to be getting the new business?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I don't want to sound rude, but it really sounds like you have no idea what your doing.
    Im with the Whitehall exchange and live in the Marino area and am getting only 100.0Mbps on my line.

I wouldn't be surprised if its your computer thats the problem. Maybe a reinstall is needed or run a spyware scan. It's not the technical supports job to get your computer working only to get you net access(with they have). If you switch to another broadband provider you will loose speed bar maybe NTL or Magnet.

I can't get smart broadband and I am so jealous of anyone that can!! YOu should be happy!

When your post is summed up your main gripe is that one of your called id machines wont work?

What exact facts did Smart not tell you? Do you really expect an isp to say oh by the way such and such a brand of caller id machine may not work with our service?

It is not Smart's job or any other isps either to educate people on bb - it is up to all of us to start learning and there are enough threads on here for everybody to get the pros and cons of an isp before signing a contract.

Smart nor any other isp cannot guarantee a definite speed for any customer.

And as for there being complaints in a support forum - shock horror! would you be surprised to find sick people in a casualty department of a hospital? At least Smart have a support forum which by the way can be read in advance of people signing up.

Smart are far from perfect of course - no isp is or ever will be - and I am sure there is a rapid learning curve there for them as a very new isp. But remember we owe the increaseds speeds of this year especially to Smart being innovative.

Ambersky wrote:
    am getting only 100.0Mbps on my line.

I don't know if this is a typo, misinformation or that you do not know why you are unhappy.

There is no way you are getting that speed. That would give you the faster internet connection in the country. Are you actually having service difficulties?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Ambersky wrote:
    100.0Mbps on my line. .

I would stay if you are managing to get 100Mbps on a 3Mbps line sounds like smart are doing an excellent job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Ok Guys. Ive deleted my little rant. Obviously I did include a typo and could do with learing a bit more, which I will do. I do also have some difficulties with Smart but this is not the place to sort it out. Anyway heres to all of us getting better service wherever we find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I get a constant download speed of 350-370 all the time, it peaks at 377.

I ONLY download using binary news readers and hardly use P2P.
    P2P is crap.

Ambersky wrote:
    Ok Guys. Ive deleted my little rant. Obviously I did include a typo and could do with learing a bit more, which I will do. I do also have some difficulties with Smart but this is not the place to sort it out. Anyway heres to all of us getting better service wherever we find it.

If there are technical problems or you just want some advice feel free to post here people will be only too glad to help you (dont let the reactions to your rant put you off:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally Posted by Ambersky
    am getting only 100.0Mbps on my line.

I don't know if this is a typo, misinformation or that you do not know why you are unhappy.

There is no way you are getting that speed. That would give you the faster internet connection in the country.
    The speed he's referring to is what Windows is reporting as the speed between the modem and the NIC, not the connection speed to Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

My modem shows:
    Downstream Rate: 3552 Kbps
    Upstream Rate: 320 Kbps

Their test tool shows
    2.96 Mbps down, 262 kbps up

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/bbspeedtool.htm

The speed he's referring to is what Windows is reporting as the speed between the modem and the NIC, not the connection speed to Smart.

I'm well aware of that. That is why I was unsure what he was referring too. He may have though 100mb was bad when infact it has nothing to do with his internet speed.

Advertisement