Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Update On Hardcore Holly

• 24-04-2006 7:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

From the Hardcore Holly Message board:

Here's the latest on Bob's situation..
    The staph infection he got in the ring around August of last year turned into MSRA , they thought they had cured it, but when he had surgery on his right elbow in February it came back full force landing him back in the hospital in March. Everything seemed to be going ok until around the 7th or 8th of April when he came down with what we thought was a bad case of the flu (fever, chills, and then his arm began to swell). We went back to the doctor and he was admitted directly to the hospital that night and emergency surgery was scheduled the next morning. We stayed in the hospital until they put a PIC line in and got the results of the cultures back from surgery showing it was indeed still the MSRA which had gotten into his blood and also embedded his elbow joint. Unfortunately the only antibiotic that will probably get rid of it once and for all has to be administered by IV once every 12 hours for about the next 6 weeks. He has been on and off antibiotics since September of last year fighting this infection when he first got it, which really created a super strain infection resistant to everything they have given him. Now we are fighting along with that damage to other organs probably caused from such strong meds. They are monitoring him closely here at home, taking blood every other day now, delivering the medication to us daily, and at least trying to let him be here instead of at the hospital. The results on Friday were a little scary and they started him on an additional medication because his platelet level and potassium level were very high. Hopefully things will start to turn around and they will get this all out of his system without any long term damage to his kidneys.

We encourage all Bob Holly fans to support Bob in this tough time! Any cards or anything from fans to cheer him up would be great! He is so ready to be back in the ring and all of this is very disheartening. He is a fighter and wants to be back to the ring and like I said we encourage you to drop Bob a note. The website (www.bobhollyacademy.com) has the address! Thanks everyone!

Credit:Top-Rope.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I never like hearing about someone being sick like that, but I'm sure some people would view this as karma catching up with Bob

I hope he gets better soon, but I don't hope he's back on tv every week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭castagnoli

Fozzy wrote:
    some people would view this as karma catching up with Bob

I don't hope he's back on tv every week

lol x2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

What do you mean?
    I know Bob Holly had a reputation for being stiff with new wrestlers but no one deserves this. I always though Bob holly was one of the ppl would should be bigger in the company then he was. Hope he recovers soon.

Of course no one deserves it. I never thought he should be any bigger than he has been though. When he was teamed with Charlie Haas I didn't think he should have been that high up the card. I just don't think he's that great a worker, never mind the fights he's gotten into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'm a big fan of Holly's. He's one of the best jerks in rasslin (as opposed to straight up heels). I'd like to see him come back from this and get a decent mid-card run before he retires.

• Advertisement

He will always go down in history as the man who called Michael Cole a $hithead on live TV back when they used to do a 30 min show after PPV's on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Fozzy wrote:
    I just don't think he's that great a worker, never mind the fights he's gotten into

Probabaly very accurate but I would prefer him to JBL which is just a personal choice. And if it is karma that got Holly I hope it gets JBL too at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Fozzy wrote:
    I'm sure some people would view this as karma catching up with Bob

How can you make such a sick remark!!! Im no fan of Holly's wrestling or his (alleged) behaviour, but noone deserves to go through something like that no matter what they've done! Also, Holly has been extremely unfortunate with injuries during his career - shattered arm, broken neck (both while doing his best to entertain YOU as a wrestling fan) to name the more serious ones and according to Fozzy, the man deserves this!:mad:

This reminds me of an almost identical remark the Ultimate Warrior made about Bobby Heenan. Insensitive and Sick!

IMO, fozzy's post should be deleted (mods, where are you).:mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Fozzy wrote:
    I never like hearing about someone being sick like that, but I'm sure some people would view this as karma catching up with Bob

I hope he gets better soon, but I don't hope he's back on tv every week

I like Bob Holly but dont know much about what he did behind the scences. Any links to what he did?

Also I think it is bad for to think that karma is catching up to him. But you your self say some people so I wouldnt come down to hard on you.

I think when Fozzy said "some people" he was referring to the likes of Lesnar, Carlito, Rene Dupree and Matt Cappotelli.
    Holly was stiff with Lesnar in a match so Lesnar responded. He actually botched a powerbomb and this resulted in Holly rupturing a disc in his neck.
    Holly also liked to "break in" the new guys like Carlito and Cappotelli. Holly caused Carlito's shoulder injury that he milked for months.
    Apparently Dupree got a speeding fine while driving Holly's car and as punishment Holly nailed Dupree with legitimate steel chair shots during a match, and gouged away at his face.

How do you like him now?

Obviously I hope he gets better, but I could care less if he is back in the ring or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Don't think he did anything worse than anything the bulldogs would've done back in the day, but I did enjoy him on smackdown, and I reckon he'd mix it up great with Finlay. So hopefully he makes it back to the ring before too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

castagnoli wrote:
    I think when Fozzy said "some people" he was referring to the likes of Lesnar, Carlito, Rene Dupree and Matt Cappotelli.
    Holly was stiff with Lesnar in a match so Lesnar responded. He actually botched a powerbomb and this resulted in Holly rupturing a disc in his neck.
    Holly also liked to "break in" the new guys like Carlito and Cappotelli. Holly caused Carlito's shoulder injury that he milked for months.
    Apparently Dupree got a speeding fine while driving Holly's car and as punishment Holly nailed Dupree with legitimate steel chair shots during a match, and gouged away at his face.

How do you like him now?

Jesus guys, it not a ballet show. Your always gonna get some angry people in there, it's just the way it is.

Sure Holly would stick the boot in but i'm sure it happened to him many times too in his youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Dragan wrote:
    Jesus guys, it not a ballet show. Your always gonna get some angry people in there, it's just the way it is.

Sure Holly would stick the boot in but i'm sure it happened to him many times too in his youth.

YEAH!

anyway there's an interview with him up on wwe.com now

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/fightingforlife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Dragan wrote:

I don't its good to wish anyone bad when their ill or anything like that.
    Is it ballet? No but when your in the ring with someone else theres a certain level of professionalism and trust involved. Holly has at times broken that trust (Cappotelli, Dupree)

Bret Hart said once that the the art of professional wrestling is it should look as real as possible without anyone getting hurt. I agree with that. Theres no art/skill in being a stiff, overly physical worker.

Exactly. As Bret said at the Hall of Fame, he never injured anyone in his career. Thats professionalism.
    I could give out **** about other guys cos theyre stiff and all that and nobody would mind but its just cos Holly is sick that some people think Im doing something wrong.

Sorry bout the double post, i have a slow connection here, and its wrecking my head.
    Stalfos, no one said he deserves whats happening to him, thats a horrible thing to say. The idea of what goes around comes around was mentioned. I hope he is able to wrestle again, I just dont particularly want to see him back because I'm not mad about his work.

So good it was said twice. Since when did Bret Hart become the god of wrestling btw? True you should try and not be stiff at any time while wrestling but whats not what was said or impeded. It was siad that he deverves it and it karma catching up with him and ppl hoping he doesn't get back in the ring anytime soon just because he was stiff with some new wrestlers. In any profession you look at the new guy always get made fun of or mistreated and Wrestling is no different except your doing it under public watch. I wouldn't wish bad my on mortal enemy and i certainly wouldn't wish bad on someone who enterains me and have never met.

Stalfos wrote:
    Since when did Bret Hart become the god of wrestling btw?

The moment he laced up his boot!

slicus ricus, I notice you apparently didn't read where I said I don't like hearing about people getting sick like this and that I hope he gets better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

Stalfos wrote:
    So good it was said twice. Since when did Bret Hart become the god of wrestling btw? True you should try and not be stiff at any time while wrestling but whats not what was said or impeded. It was siad that he deverves it and it karma catching up with him and ppl hoping he doesn't get back in the ring anytime soon just because he was stiff with some new wrestlers. In any profession you look at the new guy always get made fun of or mistreated and Wrestling is no different except your doing it under public watch. I wouldn't wish bad my on mortal enemy and i certainly wouldn't wish bad on someone who enterains me and have never met.
    it was never said that he deserved it.
    it was said that some people might see it as such, the poster "implied" that some people obvioulsy didn't like holly (those mentioned in posts above) and wouldn't be too sorry for him, you'll notice that the poster also mentioned that he didn't like to hear of any sickness.
    and as for it being ok to mistreat the new guy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

castagnoli wrote:
    How do you like him now?
    :D
    kearnsr wrote:
    I like Bob Holly but dont know much about what he did behind the scences. Any links to what he did?
    Basically, he's not that different from his in-ring personality. He often gives new guys a "gut check" but it's strongly rumoured he does this with the support/at the request of management. Let's face it, he's been around a long time (I think he's the second longest serving in-ring talent after the Undertaker) and never really did much yet with them letting any number of talented performers go, Holly keeps getting retained. There has to be a reason for this (like I said, I'm a Holly fan but I'm under no illusions that he's the most talented guy on the roster).

What he does sometimes gets him heat from younger rasslers and internet smarks and occasionally gets himself injured (eg. Lesner incident, though I don't think Lesner did it intentionally, he just wasn't expecting Holly to be un-cooperative and screwed up).

Here's some of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Holly#Personal_life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Fozzy wrote:
    slicus ricus, I notice you apparently didn't read where I said I don't like hearing about people getting sick like this and that I hope he gets better

I DID read it (before i posted my reply the other day btw) - i still dont like the other remark ya made though. Anyway, that's all i gotta say about that!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

[QUOTE=RealJohn
    Here's some of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Holly#Personal_life[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link.

I still like him. He may not be every one's cup of tea but each to their own.

All i'm saying (or meant to say, bad day yesterday) is that their is a time and a place for everytime and bringing up Holly's past while he is fighting for his life is not the time or place. PPL should be respectful of that.

Also further updates are saying he may not get better and could lose the use of his arm.

Stalfos wrote:
    bringing up Holly's past while he is fighting for his life is not the time or place. PPL should be respectful of that.

Hang on, it's not like people have heard he's sick and immediately start saying he's a bad person. He's the focus of some news at the moment, so of course people are going to talk about him to some extent

I was lookin at his site the other day, slightly surprised to see that Kip James/Billy Gunn is a trainer at his wrestling academy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Fozzy wrote:
    The moment he laced up his boot!

Couldn't agree more :)

Advertisement