Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PETA and the like

Options
  • 24-04-2006 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭

I would like to start supporting an animal rights group.

PETA is the obvious one. VIVA! was another one I was looking at. There are no good Irish ones that I can see.

I agree with the principles of PETA, but some poeple seem to be against them because of their tactics.

Could someone tell me what the reasons are for disliking PETA? Any other groups to avoid?

Any good animal rights groups?

I want to make sure before I part with my hard earned cash :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

PETA are too full on for most people. i like their agressive and showy tactics, i think it's the easiest way to get through to people. however, because of their reputation for bending the truth and recruiting people in their early teens (mainly) with lies and half-truths, any time you back up an argument with something PETA said, people are more likely to roll their eyes, smirk and discredit everything you say, even if it's not from PETA. i think your money would be better off supporting a more above board animal rights group with a better reputation for full-honesty. why not the irish society against blood-sports? and have you ruled out shelters or sancturaries?

I just read a newspaper article that says PAWS have been short changed by the government this year, which means they have to find a way to raise nearly 200,000 if they want to continue rescuing abandoned greyhounds. it's not the first time something like this has happened to the place, and considering they're one of the only (possibly the only) place to provide refuge for neglected, abandoned and doomed greyhounds in ireland, maybe your money would be of more use to them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

I wasn't aware of the negative side of PETA until someone here on boards told me about it. Read this :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PETA

They don't care who they step on to get what they want. As a woman, I personally find their use of practically naked women in many campaigns offensive and would never give them a penny

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I just read a newspaper article that says PAWS have been short changed by the government this year, which means they have to find a way to raise nearly 200,000 if they want to continue rescuing abandoned greyhounds.

I heard a radio ad from them before. I definately wouldn't mind helping them, where do the rescued dogs go by the way?

I would also like to surpport an organisation that promotes vegetarianism and veganism as well as animal rights e.g. PETA without the controversy.

There is an animal rights group called comassion in world farming but they avocate eating free range animals rather than not eating animals at all which i don't agree with.

I think i might give paws and viva! a few quid.

Anyone know of any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

saw a good episode of southpark about PETA yesterday.....

i think we should set up an "animal liberation front" cell (see also in wiki)...

Nature Boy wrote:
    I heard a radio ad from them before. I definately wouldn't mind helping them, where do the rescued dogs go by the way?

PAWS take greyhounds that have been dumped, or from pounds where they will be destroyed in a few days. sadly, nobody wants greyhounds as pets (they rehomed a dismal 3 in ireland last year) so most of the dogs are sent to italy or france. i dont know if you should give your money to them because i fear it might be too little too late- i can see it having to be shut down, which is horrible because greyhounds REALLY need all the help they can get.

peronally, i give to the Kildare Animal Foundation. i have to dash for a bus now but ill explain my reasons when i come back!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

Peta is not a noble organisation, they fund known terrorists and are absoloute nutters, they believe that animals should have the same rights as humans !!, absoloute nutters, also peta influences impressionable young children in schools at as young as 6 years of age, they present young children with comics with titles such as "your mommy's a murderer" and "meat is murder", with disturbing images of animals being killed inside, also peta members have been arrested in the past for harming animals as well as theft of animals. Peta receives US government funding g and less than 1% of their funds goes to help animals. Peta members do not care about people once animals are safe, in the us in 1998 two scientists were killed to free 100 lab mice , they were working on a treatment for MS. yeah peta re nuts

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Peta is not a noble organisation, they fund known terrorists and are absoloute nutters, they believe that animals should have the same rights as humans !!, absoloute nutters,
    So do a great deal of vegetarians and in the cases of some animals, non vegetarians.
    Peta members do not care about people once animals are safe, in the us in 1998 two scientists were killed to free 100 lab mice , they were working on a treatment for MS. yeah peta re nuts
    Some people view them as murderers and are consequentialists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Let us not confuse the behaviour of people with the principles they espouse. I may agree with the core views expressed by PETA and similar organisations, but their misguided tactics do not invalidate my opinions. Unfortunately, most people don't think particularly deeply about things such as this, and so I refuse to associate myself with any interest group or party-political organisation. I must admit that people who use publicity stunts in order to communicate their views seem desperate. I am known for my strong principles, but I let these rest only on reasoning and logic, which anyone can assess and challenge if they find a fault. I feel that extremist groups like PETA do a great disservice to those who consider their arguments strong enough to stand on their own without cimmicks and bad publicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Nature Boy wrote:

this is what peta does with the animals they take in;

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

brian he's talking about PAWS there.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was but still that website is pretty shocking. It's terrible that even the people that are supposed to care about animals don't even properly care about them.

Is it just PETA that are like this or are there more? (Excluding the animal rights terrorist groups of course!)

There is an organisation i found a while back:
    "Compassion in world farming" they have an Irish branch http://www.ciwf.ie/

I don't like the fact that they advocate "free range meat" rather than advising people to go veggie, but they are the best Irish one i've come accross. I like the way they campaign for changes in laws and lobby politicians.

I'm going to join the veggie society, is anybody here a member?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

Nature Boy wrote:
    I'm going to join the veggie society, is anybody here a member?

I'm not a member, but it just so happens that their AGM is this Saturday in St Andrew's Centre, Pearse St. You should poop along and join up. You should also join the Dublin Food Co-op, which is in the same place every Saturday.

http://www.vegetarian.ie/

Samos wrote:
    I'm not a member, but it just so happens that their AGM is this Saturday in St Andrew's Centre, Pearse St. You should poop along and join up.

Yeah I was thinking of going alright to join up. Do they have many members?

Advertisement