Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking 9800Pro, worth getting RAM Heastinks?

Options
  • 24-04-2006 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Picked up a 9800Pro over the weekend with an arctic silencer, which I must say I am very impressed with.

Its clocked at 420 core and 360 RAM (378, 338 default) right now.

Just wondering if these give an appreciable performance gain with RAM speeds?

ATM the case it is setup in could do with more ventilation, but still I think the RAM should go further.

Are there better heatsinks that I could get? Perhaps copper ones?

[edit] what about these? €11 to ship is a bit pricy tho, even if the are copper! [/edit]

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Touch the ram while its running at full load, If its warm there is no point in getting ram sinks, if it is very hot, ram sinks should help, but I doubt they are worth ~€10 as you might get another 10mhz..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Picked up a 9800Pro over the weekend with an arctic silencer, which I must say I am very impressed with.

Its clocked at 420 core and 360 RAM (378, 338 default) right now.

Just wondering if these give an appreciable performance gain with RAM speeds?

ATM the case it is setup in could do with more ventilation, but still I think the RAM should go further.

Are there better heatsinks that I could get? Perhaps copper ones?

[edit] what about these? €11 to ship is a bit pricy tho, even if the are copper! [/edit]

Had that video card. My card did not clock well on ram did all right with core. I think 445 was around the best i could get it.
    I don't think its worth it my self. You wont notice any differince when playing the game with 5 or 10mhz better clock on the ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Cheers lads, the RAM is very hot, but im happy enough with the results for €60 so I think ill go without the heatsinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

just a word of warning, do not get those revoltec ramsinks, had 2 sets, they are too heavy and keep falling off the ram chips that face downwards,avoid them completely, ocz ramsinks are better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Had the thermaltake ramsinks they sell in peats on my 9800 pro. They held on grand, the design probably meant that they did next to no cooling though. Didn't matter much since the bloody card died after a few months...

• Advertisement
Advertisement