Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic TV aerial

• 24-04-2006 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi guys,
    I want to install an aerial(s) in my attic and was hoping someone could give me a few pointers. Curently I have just stripped down the cables (there are 3 in the attic) and hung them from one of the rafters and the reception is awful.

I called in to Maplin and they said I will need 2 aerials - 1 for UHF(tv3 & tg4) and 1 for VFH(rte1 & rte2). Can anyone tell me if it possible to get a single aerial to pick up both UHF and VHF? (I would be hoping this is cheaper that buying 2 ariels)

Also can anyone tell me whats involved in hooking up 2 aerials? (if I do need 2 aerials) Do I need some way of spliting the cable?

Finally I have about 3 cables coming out of the wall behind my telly, one of which I have connected to the tv, How can I tell which is the corresponding cable in the attic (there are 3 there also)?

thanks,
    BB

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think there are aerails that supposedly pick up both UHF and VHF signals, but I think you'd be better with seperate aerials. They'll need to be combined with a UHF/VHF combiner.

As for which cable, if you've a multimeter, it's easy by just shorting the coaxial on one side, and finding the cable that's shorting using the meter.

Otherwise, just trial and error - whichever cable gives you TV signal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

I have 4 Irish channels coming from one aerial in the attic to TV in bedroom (sitting room on dish). Don't know what kind of aerial it is- was in the attic when I moved in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,555 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Keep away from Maplin to be honest, expensive aerials and they don't always know much. Your best bet is posting the same topic in Hosted-ICDG-ICDG and make sure you state where you are. Its easy enough as I didn't have a clue initially but got a VHF and UHF aerial, fed both into a diplexer/booster (sounds more complicated than it is) and then a little box between your TV and wall which powers the aerial booster and I get 8 channels (rebeamer also for 4 English). The lads in there will definitely put you on track as to where to buy cheapest equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Beagle Boy

TheDriver wrote:
    Keep away from Maplin to be honest, expensive aerials and they don't always know much. Your best bet is posting the same topic in Hosted-ICDG-ICDG and make sure you state where you are. Its easy enough as I didn't have a clue initially but got a VHF and UHF aerial, fed both into a diplexer/booster (sounds more complicated than it is) and then a little box between your TV and wall which powers the aerial booster and I get 8 channels (rebeamer also for 4 English). The lads in there will definitely put you on track as to where to buy cheapest equipment.

Cheers, just posted over in Hosted-ICDG-ICDG

Advertisement