Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IRL: 2X11 - "The Hunting Party" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

• 24-04-2006 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭

- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "THE HUNTING PARTY" -

Episode Title: "The Hunting Party"
    Airdate: April 24th 2006

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

Jack, Locke and Sawyer follow after a determined Michael after he heads into the jungle toward the dreaded "Others" in search of Walt. Meanwhile, Sun has a surprising reaction to Jin's desire to join the search party, and Hurley and Charlie commiserate over the age-old conundrum of "what women want."

Next New Episode: 2X12 - "Fire + Water" - May 1st 2006

US Discussion Thread for this episode!

What did you think of "The Hunting Party"? 42 votes

0%
    7%
    Johnny_the_foxBartronilicChumpski 3 votes
    26%
    FaithJBoyle4evaBuck OwensmurfieEamonnKeaneshanewSparkoBinkasquire1AgamemnonHaven't a Clue 11 votes
    23%
    V9CrucifixEarthhorsePullMyFinger!Nooptijayokgustavomarie_85NUTZZlostirishgirl 10 votes
    33%
    sunbeamwayne040576weemcdLagunaDadesNewaglishfaigsbikopokerwidowFuzzy_DunlopBFassassinrandomnameJelloNewFrockTuesday 14 votes
    7%
    optoKillaqueen!!!homerjk 3 votes
    0%
    2%
    trishw78 1 vote
    0%
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

"THEY TOOK MY SON!!

... had to be done! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What was that last bit that Jack said, I couldn't hear as someone started making noise in the next room.:rolleyes: Something about training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

What was that last bit that Jack said, I couldn't hear as someone started making noise in the next room.:rolleyes: Something about training?

How long would it take to train an army...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Interesting episode....

I liked this episode. I was glad to see "the pirate" again and I thought Jacks flashback was very good. The bit with Hurley and Charlie was just a time waster, nothing of any importance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

NUTZZ wrote:
    .. The bit with Hurley and Charlie was just a time waster, nothing of any importance...
    I liked that bit... bit of comic relief away from the more important aspects of the episode!

"Classic desert-island scenario"! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Good episode. Jack's flashbacks were ok, but he's kind of annoying me now..which is sad cos I did like his character in series 1. And I'm pointing out stupid things about him now which doesn't really matter, like his shaving...it's always the exact same stubble. Never clean shaven, or a grown beard. :p

Building an army out of them? :eek: Not a bad idea I suppose..probably not enough weapons though. The bit in the jungle was creepy when Jack said "I think we have more men than you" and then the torches all lit up.
    I don't understand the others...they're taking people on whether they're 'good' or not. Now we don't know their definition of good. But the people they took seem to be ok. Walt, for example...he's alive anyway.

At first, I thought on expanding the Purgatory Theory. They could be some sort of 'angels' taking the people when their time is up. That's why the take children because, as Goodwin said, "Children are fine" - they've lived less of their lives and haven't done much.
    But that's totally wrong.

Walt has obviosly changed since being taken. Did he lead the two groups together so that Shannon would be shot? He's being used as bait on more than one occassion. Maybe he's been turned into an other! :D

Anyways, I'm just waffling on here, but one more thing. The other that was talking to Jack/Sawyer/Locke in the jungle. I think he said "Come here, Alex" and one of the others took Kate over to him. Could this Alex be the same one as Danielle's? Wasn't Alex her son?

basquille wrote:
    I liked that bit... bit of comic relief away from the more important aspects of the episode!

"Classic desert-island scenario"! :D

I would usually agree with that but it wasn't really funny or interesting, it seemed like they were trying to fill the time to fuel the supense in the confrontation between "The Others" and Jack & Co.

I think he said "Come here, Alex" and one of the others took Kate over to him. Could this Alex be the same one as Danielle's? Wasn't Alex her son?

Alex is a girl, as was mentioned in Exodus Part 1

Danielle: "6 of us - my team, 6. At that time I was already 7 months pregnant. I delivered the infant myself. The baby and I were together for only 1 week when I saw black smoke - a pillar of black smoke 5 kilometers inland. That night they came - they came and took her - Alex. They took my baby. And now, they're coming again. They're coming for all of you."

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Walt has obviosly changed since being taken. Did he lead the two groups together so that Shannon would be shot? He's being used as bait on more than one occassion. Maybe he's been turned into an other!
    I don't think he meant any harm. He was saying "Ssshh" to Shannon, but she just wouldn't shut the **** up, and that's why she died.

What I don't get is the last bit.

Jack says Sayid told him Ana was a cop. Then he asks her the big question "How long would it take to train an army?".
    But why the hell would you ask a regular ex-cop about training an army, when you've just been talking to Sayid, who fought in the Gulf War and tortured people. How would Ana know better than him?

Did they just think it would be bad for Jack to be taking advice from a Middle Eastern, on an American programme?
    Or is Jack just a little slow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Maybe Jack thought it best to leave Sayid alone for a few days considering the woman he loved had just been shot and killed only days before?, I don't really get a racist undercurrent here in regards to an American taking advice/asking for help from an Iraqi. Maybe the idea just occurred to him while he was talking to Ana, a ****ing stupid idea if you ask me.

Why does he feel the need ot be antagonostic towards the others, because if it was me on the Island, I would think it prudent to establish a truce/dialogue between your group and the Others, possibly even leading to peaceful co-existence because, to be honest, no one's getting rescued - wouldn't it be better to carry on living on the Island without being in a war like state?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭pokerwidow

I gave it a 7. Like others, I found Jack's story to be dull. Thank you for posting the US link. I just spent the last hour reading it. Wow they really love it.

Laguna wrote:
    Maybe Jack thought it best to leave Sayid alone for a few days considering the woman he loved had just been shot and killed only days before?, I don't really get a racist undercurrent here in regards to an American taking advice/asking for help from an Iraqi. Maybe the idea just occurred to him while he was talking to Ana, a ****ing stupid idea if you ask me.

I wasn't thinking of it as racist though. Just maybe they thought it would be too taboo or something.
    I can't see that Sayid's grieving would've prevented Jack asking him. In fact I think Sayid would probably go for it. And Ana has had a rough time herself also.

I just think it's strange, but I suppose it's not really of much consequence.

It is a quite dangerous idea to start an army. But that's his character - he's often unwise about these things.

The thing I'd be afraid of is that The Others will see them training and know what to expect. They have no trouble watching them, they're so creepy. If I was there, I would suggest training in teh hatch only. Not a lot of space to run around but at least it'd be safe, as noone would see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Laguna wrote:
    Why does he feel the need ot be antagonostic towards the others, because if it was me on the Island, I would think it prudent to establish a truce/dialogue between your group and the Others, possibly even leading to peaceful co-existence because, to be honest, no one's getting rescued - wouldn't it be better to carry on living on the Island without being in a war like state?.
    I was thinking that myself, but I guess it's not easy for them to trust the others after all that's happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

What I don't understand is that Sawyer called the bearded guy "Zeke" or "Zeek" or however you spell it. Now, nobody seems to have mentioned this anywhere, but how the hell does he know his name? Or does it mean something else? Or did he know from an earlier episode that I missed?

Also, I thought Locke telling Jack "Who are you to tell people what to do?" was interesting, and has also come up before, I think?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Zeke is just a random name that Sawyer called him. Lost fanatics think it's a shortened version of Ezekiel, who was a prophet in exile in the Bible, who spoke for his people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Newaglish wrote:
    What I don't understand is that Sawyer called the bearded guy "Zeke" or "Zeek" or however you spell it. Now, nobody seems to have mentioned this anywhere, but how the hell does he know his name? Or does it mean something else? Or did he know from an earlier episode that I missed?

Also, I thought Locke telling Jack "Who are you to tell people what to do?" was interesting, and has also come up before, I think?

I don't know. Maybe it's a nickname Sawyer gave him like freckles with kate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Fridge wrote:
    I wasn't thinking of it as racist though. Just maybe they thought it would be too taboo or something.
    I can't see that Sayid's grieving would've prevented Jack asking him. In fact I think Sayid would probably go for it. And Ana has had a rough time herself also.

I just think it's strange, but I suppose it's not really of much consequence.

It is a quite dangerous idea to start an army. But that's his character - he's often unwise about these things.

The thing I'd be afraid of is that The Others will see them training and know what to expect. They have no trouble watching them, they're so creepy. If I was there, I would suggest training in teh hatch only. Not a lot of space to run around but at least it'd be safe, as noone would see.

I'd say they have some surveillance set up in the hatch. How else would they have known that they got in there? Desmond might be an other maybe i suppose...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I think Jack asked Ana Lucia to build him an army because he knows she's on the same wavelength as him. He asks her if it's true that she killed one of them before asking her to build the army. There's no way he'd trust Locke to do it and he probably thinks Sayid would object.

Having said that, I think she should have answered, "Probably the rest of this season".

I enjoyed this episode and it came on the back of a number of enjoyable episodes so I'm quite happy with the way Lost is going.

I thought in our first glimpse of Zeek that he really looked like Jack's dad sporting a beard but that's obviously not the case. I also think Jack is right about the others not having strength in numbers. It's their knowledge of the island that allows them to appear more numerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I don't think he asked Sayid because the last time Sayid tortured someone he went walk about remember (In s1 did he not say that he left that behind when he left Iraq)

I gave it a 4 'cause it bored me for some reason I'm not as hooked as last season. Jacks story was a little dull.

I'm off to read the US thread

• Advertisement

Faith wrote:
    Lost fanatics think it's a shortened version of Ezekiel, who was a prophet in exile in the Bible, who spoke for his people.

I have heard about this, but I think its very far fecthed, a much more likely explanation is that, 'Zeke' is a derogatory hillbilly name, and Mr. Friendly/Other resembles the stereotypical hillbilly, so its just another of Sawyer's nicknames like 'freckles', 'Mr. Clean' and 'Sweetcheeks'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Yeah, that's spot on I'd say, that's what I thought on first hearing it (think of Pulp Fiction!)

What do you think Michael's remark about the computer meant? Speaking about the computer, Michael says to Jack "that thing is not what you think it is" and that Jack doesn't have any idea and doesn't understand. Michael seems to think he has a deeper understanding of the capabilities of the computer than anyone else.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

NUTZZ wrote:
    What do you think Michael's remark about the computer meant? Speaking about the computer, Michael says to Jack "that thing is not what you think it is" and that Jack doesn't have any idea and doesn't understand. Michael seems to think he has a deeper understanding of the capabilities of the computer than anyone else.

Anyone have any ideas?

I presume its to do with the messages he received from Walt on it in the last episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I thought this as well. There was a perfect opportunity to get some answers and maybe clarify that they are not there by choice. Its not a case of them putting their feet up on the coffee table - more like them being flung in the door and hitting the coffee table on the way in.

I was quite surprised by him deciding to rise againt the others. Very militant for Jack. What does he hope to gain and just who does he think he is? Surely there should be some democratic desision made about entering a state of warfare with an army who a) know the terrain alot better, b) have bigger numbers and c) are better armed?
    This might cause a split in the camp leading to a 3 way altercation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

NUTZZ wrote:
    I would usually agree with that but it wasn't really funny or interesting, it seemed like they were trying to fill the time to fuel the supense in the confrontation between "The Others" and Jack & Co.
    There was a point to it cause if you paid attention, when they were saying that 'everyone' was gone they said Jack, Locke, Sawyer AND KATE. This was before we found out the others took her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Was a good episode, just feel that we were let down by how it all ended (How long would it take to train an army). Jack's flashback gave me an answer I was looking for: What happened to his marraige?

I'd like to know what happened to Michael: Was he caught or is he still in the jungle?

I hate Jack, therefore the flashbacks bored the be'jesus outta me. A great episode though. I gave it 9.

When I saw it first after downloading it my jaw hit the floor throughout the episode. Even last night when the pirate said - "This ain't your island....", it still gave me goosebumps.

As for the army idea, typical Jack. A blind idea full of stupidity as he wants to act the hero.....always. And Ana Lucia's a cop, how the hell's she meant to know?

There was a point to it cause if you paid attention, when they were saying that 'everyone' was gone they said Jack, Locke, Sawyer AND KATE. This was before we found out the others took her.

Hurley saw them when they were leaving from the beach, it was only when they were in the jungle that Jack told Kate to stay behind.

• Advertisement

Don't think so. I think Jack told Kate before that and she then went to Hurley so he would be at the computer in the hatch while she was off.

Sure, Hurley told Sun that Michael had run off, and that he had to go to the hatch.

NUTZZ wrote:
    Hurley saw them when they were leaving from the beach, it was only when they were in the jungle that Jack told Kate to stay behind.
    Sorry, I misread yours. I don't think they left from the beach. It never showed the rest of them on the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

The first half of the episode was a drag...then it got good.

Sorry, I misread yours. I don't think they left from the beach. It never showed the rest of them on the beach.

No they dont leave from the beach, they leave fom the hatch. Then in the jungle Kate asks Jack if he has a gun for her, and he tells her to stay behind. Thats when she goes back to the beach and asks Hurley if he'll input the numbers in the hatch...

The Charlie/Hurley scene in the hatch was cool because for a minute I didn't cop on that Kate had also gone and then I was like "Oh ****!".

But also, they need keep us updated on other characters on the island and not just follow the ones who are right in the middle of the action. If you ignore these conversations you might miss something important sometimes. I mean they never really have something that isn't of consequence. They're never just filling spaces, they've got so much to cover, there's no way they could afford to do that.

The bit with Hurley saying he likes Libby is important for later I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I still don't know what to make of it. Not as enjoyable as last week, but last week was my favourite so far this season. Jack's flashback did answer the question about his marriage, but not the most enjoyable imo.
    I felt a bit let down when the confrontation with the others led to nothing.
    On the bright-side, the episode finished with a nice line. The army thing could be interesting.

• Advertisement

I suppose apart from us finding out what happened to Jack's marriage, we're supposed to see that Jack has to fix things, so we understand why he feels the need to get Walt and Michael back safely. He wouldn't be comfortable leaving them out there if he thought there was a chance he could help save them. But I don't think we're supposed to think he's making the right decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Not sure what to make of the episode. How much of a let down was Jacks backstory, I'd been wondering for months what had happened to his marriage. And why would he ask the cop and not the soldier about training an army!

On the plus side, got to see a lot more of Sawyer in this episode. :) I like him more and more with each passing week. Calling Locke Daniel Boone was great.

The Others were a bit of a let down as well. I'm not too sure how I like the whole two tribes thing. The mystery is slowly leaving the show.

Oh, I'm sure there's plenty of mystery still there. You don't think those whispering freaks weren't mysterious surely? We already knew that zeek fella was one of them. And we don't have a bulls notion why they've to keep pressing the button. Or what in the name of jesus is that dharma thing. Or will Kate ever get nak....oh no, I've gone too far.

But Jack's flashbacks are so bloody boring. I think flashbacks have lost their place in the show. They hold no importance anymore if you ask me.

Exactly. We may have seen the faces of a handful of the others, but apart from that we know **** all.

We don't know why they think it's their island, how many of them are there, what they hell they're up to, why they have walt and other people, if they work with Dharma or against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

A screencap from last night.

Zeke said Walt was a "very special boy"

When he raises his arms to summon the Others to raise thier sticks of fire ..... look closely

Possible Spoiler Below

fsafdsa0gv.jpg

• Advertisement

Yeah, there has been much speculation over this but the there isn't any real evidence to suggest that it is Walt, there is closer up pic than that, I'll post it in a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I'm not convinced by the torches. We didn't see the others faces, all we saw was torches lighting up all at exactly the same second as if the gas had been switched on. It makes me think that Jack is right and there aren't many of them. Why else would zeke have turned on the circle of torches?

As for the army....? well, they've got to go somewhere with the storyline. It wouldn't be very interesting if they became best buddies with the others.

Was Walt wearing an orange shirt when he was taken?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I'm not convinced by the torches. We didn't see the others faces, all we saw was torches lighting up all at exactly the same second as if the gas had been switched on. It makes me think that Jack is right and there aren't many of them

Good thinking. I never even thought of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Binka wrote:
    I'm not convinced by the torches. We didn't see the others faces, all we saw was torches lighting up all at exactly the same second as if the gas had been switched on.

Yes, there was something a bit too 'automated' about the torches. Getting a whole bunch a people to light their torches in unison surely wouldn't be that smooth! :D

But them whispering in no real english, leaving no footprints or wearing any shoes, no personal details in their pocket or any of that seems just fine. You got a glimpse of their faces if you looked carefully anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

I am having trouble keeping up with all the multiple plot lines, theories etc...

But I am of the opinion the there are very few others, and less now that some have been killed. So lets do a count.

There was Ethan.
    There was the guy Anna Lucia Killed, Goodwin I think.
    There was two that Eko killed, I think.
    And on the boat (when they take his boy), there was Zeke, a woman, and two others I think.

Now, I think that the two other, others on the boat are not the two that Eko killed, as the times work out different.

When Eko and Lin are hiding in the scrub, the only see one set of Adult legs (poss. the woman that was on the boat), and the remainder are childerns, IIRC.

So that means we have only seen evidence of at most 4 remaining others (Zeke, Woman on Boat, and 2 more on Boat)???

Am I completely wrong here?

prospect wrote:

So that means we have only seen evidence of at most 4 remaining others (Zeke, Woman on Boat, and 2 more on Boat)???

Am I completely wrong here?

Yes, there's more than 4 here:
    huntingpartycap6321me.jpg

Yeah, I can see at least 7 people by the torches, and Zeke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Plus all the other adults they grabbed from the tail section. They could be Others now if they were brainwashed/drugged/whatever.

• Advertisement
Advertisement