Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bb in cloyne

Options
  • 24-04-2006 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know when we are getting broadband in cloyne,co.Cork?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

damo86 wrote:
    Does anybody know when we are getting broadband in cloyne,co.Cork?
    Dunno but it's not looking good in the short to medium term. I have a brother living in Cloyne and have been doing a bit of research on it for him. The last batch of exchanges in the current phase are due to be released tomorrow (26th) and Cloyne isn't on the list.
    That's nearly all the towns with a population of 1500 or above done and no more in the pipeline . I haven't come across any wireless or GBS in the area either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

bugger...not looking good!
    Thanks for replying anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

So is this the end of eircom's rollout for now or are they gonna keep enabling smaller exchanges?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Blaster99 wrote:
    So is this the end of eircom's rollout for now or are they gonna keep enabling smaller exchanges?
    According to recent ads they are in the 3rd year of a 5 year plan.
    From the Eircom Wholesale website:
    eircom Wholesale is now aiming to exceed the average EU penetration level by December 2007 with 500,000 connections, and has committed to help deliver 100 percent broadband coverage in Ireland, including 90 percent ADSL coverage.
    They claim the smaller exchanges are uneconomical to enable so they are probably hoping to get government grants to enable those. There are around 1300 exchanges and just 450 odd will be enabled at the end of the current phase.
    Interestingly, BT claim that the smaller exchanges could turn a profit after 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

You could just set up a community broadband based on Satellite/Wireless, This is what a lot of GBS schemes use. There are a few drawbacks with Satellite but its a fixed costs compared to Dialup at Broadband Speeds and thats probably enough for most people.

You could get in touch with one of the suppliers of these systems, i.e. fastnet broadband ( http://www.fastnetbroadband.com/ ). If you get enough people in the locality interested i.e. 15-20+ people then they will install for ~150 euro and provide broadband @30 euro a month.

You could also check in local villages, i.e. Shanagarry, Ballycotton they might have community broadband already setup, otherwise you might be able to get some of the people in these areas interested also, depending on line of sight.

I know that Fastnet is in use in Ballyagran Co. Limerick and people in my home village Newtownshandrum Co. Cork have been able to subscribe even though its five miles away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭gafarrell

Hi Damo,

I live in Cloyne myself and i know that ardtec are installing it there at the moment. They have the mast up and testing it. I have been in contact with them quite often and hopefully they wont be too long more. I will PM you a contact there.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 GeorgeCloyne

Hi,
    Any one has news on the broadband in Cloyne????
    Thanks,

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 490 ✭✭wexfordman

Ardtec were I think doing cloyne as part of the GBS, (I may be wrong), but also doing castelmartyr, ladysbridge, ballintotis, killeagh, pretty much most of East Cork, but its hard to get info on how this is progressing. There is another provider up and running in and around some of these areas now might be worth trying www.airwaveinternet.net , I am using them and have no complaints whatsoever, 1m download 256k upload 40 yoyo pm, and I can run blueface voip etc over it with very few problems at all.

Regards,
    Wexfordman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Motorola gear is it wexfordman ??

Cork (thankfully) has quite a few local wireless providers now . airwave appear to be an amocom franchise ..note website similarities

there is also novanetworks and other operators in west cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

A mate in work got wireless BB in Cloyne last week. I'll get the details on Monday. It could be Ardmore Technologies. He has 1Mb connection.
    thegills

• Advertisement

Not sure what the airwave gear is, dont hink its motorolla, I will check though tomorrow when its not wet:D

I am in two minds about airwave, they got the funding for GBS for east cork over a year ago, and seem to be very slow with it. Problem is that it was a combined submission from a number of communities (aghada, cloyne, ladysbridge, killeagh, dungourney and a fair few more), so I am a bit wary about whether they are going to cover each commnunity or not. Even though each community submitted an application under the one application if you know what I mean.

I may be being unfair, but up front was a lot of talk, and very littel seems to be happening.

As you said Muck, Cork is doing quite well with Wireless BB providers now, so at least there are options appearing on the outskirts.

Wexfordman

I think its great. My only problem is that Dempsey wants to abolish GBS

GBS has deliverd big time in some parts of Ireland such as Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IoffL > BB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I can confirm that Airwave are now providing service to a work colleague in Cloyne. I believe the area is quite hilly so LOS might still be a problem.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

ahhhhhhh lovely one.

Choices Choices Choices (and Map )

Hi lads,

lol,forgot i started this thread,found it via google!!!

Anyways any update to the situation?
    Being looking at airwave and they seem to be promising,which brings me to my next question,are they reliable because ive heard a few horror stories about line of sight bb (irish bb anyone?)

Airwave do use motorola equipment..Is that a good thing?

Whats the current situation with eircom because i believe cloyne defo have a population of 1500+,theres housing estates popping up from everywhere!

3ireland has 3g coverage down here,is it hspda?
    Because there wireless usb bb plans look promising!

Regards
    damo

I've been using airwave near in ladysbridge for about a year and a half now, and have no problems, would highly recommend them, as a wireless provider they are excellent in my opinion. I have been running voip via blueface on it for over a year also and have ported my eircom line onto it. If there is anything that points to a reliable wireless service, it is the ability to run voip on it.
    Wexfordman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭eoinok

damo. Where abouts in Cloyne specifically are you? Townland.
    John is transmitting off of a hill up by ladysbridge graveyard. That is how he is covering some parts of cloyne.

Eastcork has a transmitter in scartlea and also up by the prodtesant church in Saleen (actually on it!!). Ignore the map that Malcom has up on his site. I know it is not correct as he has not got the saleen transmitter listed on it, amongst others.

You should hopefully have a LOS to some one of those locations.

P.S. before some of you go ranting on about the likes of "how improffesional for an ISP not to have a proper coverage map, their customer service must be poor etc etc" remember that the likes of airwave and eastcork have been quitely going about their business and are getting more than enough custom through word of mouth from their happy existing customers. Things such as coverage maps etc are trivial matters.

I have used both Ardmore technology and Airwave Internet in Cloyne. Airwave are by far the best in my personal experience. BB speed is perfect for surfing and small downloads but if you use it for heavy traffic i would not use it. I had never had any outages yet with airwaves and the installer was fast and professional. I had alot of issues with Ardmore technology. They put the antenna on the front of my house with no line of site. I kept getting disconnected because of that. When the installer from Airwaves was on the chimney (installing my current BB) I asked if he could see Ardmores mast.. He said that I had perfect line of site to it from the chimney. I think the Ardmore installer just didnt want to go up there for some reason. After a few "nice" phone calls and a couple of visits from the ardmore engineer i told them take their equipment away as dialup was prob faster. I have also been told that some users in ballycotton get priority bandwith because they are friends with some guy in ardmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Do airwave have good coverage in the town, say near the Garda station & Church?

Thanks lads,defo considering but have just got the o2 bb package as a stop gap position.

@eoinok

im in the kilboy area (just down from kilcrone house)

well the main use for o2 bb is bb on the fly! so just using this as a temp solution

thanks again

damo

ps: dont worry im in no position to rant..just want bb!!

Do airwave have good coverage in the town, say near the Garda station & Church?
    You should have no problems there. I am kind of infront of the chruch and i have direct line of site.

does anybody know when o2 will switch on utms/hsdpa covergage in the cloyne area?
    ive notice 3 and vodafone have 3g coverage.

my o2 bb has patchy 3g coverage at the mo...still beats paying by the min!

cheers
    damo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Donn_Firineach

WezzyB wrote: »
    You could just set up a community broadband based on Satellite/Wireless, This is what a lot of GBS schemes use. There are a few drawbacks with Satellite but its a fixed costs compared to Dialup at Broadband Speeds and thats probably enough for most people.

You could get in touch with one of the suppliers of these systems, i.e. fastnet broadband ( http://www.fastnetbroadband.com/ ). If you get enough people in the locality interested i.e. 15-20+ people then they will install for ~150 euro and provide broadband @30 euro a month.

You could also check in local villages, i.e. Shanagarry, Ballycotton they might have community broadband already setup, otherwise you might be able to get some of the people in these areas interested also, depending on line of sight.

I know that Fastnet is in use in Ballyagran Co. Limerick and people in my home village Newtownshandrum Co. Cork have been able to subscribe even though its five miles away.

Stay well away from Fastnet broadband or Zone broadband or any of their ildana connections - early days in Ballyagran were good - then technical support changed in mid to late 2006 and a real disaster in terms of customer service ever since ......... blather, shok 'n awe, and more blather ... a health hazard in other words - Newtownshandrum is now well served by www.bbnet.ie and anyone in Ballyagran, Castletown Conyers or Feenagh or Dromcollogher with any sense and a view of the top of Knockfierna are advised to follow suit with BBNet.

Advertisement