Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaking Dog

Options
  • 25-04-2006 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

My 9 year old bitch Molly has started to "leak" without realising it, my home is begining to stink as a result and my husband is getting very annoyed about it, (I can understand why) she was spayed 7 years ago and the vet told me it may be because of this but knowing why it happens does'nt solve the problem; Molly is a well trained/behaved dog & will open the door to go outside when she needs too so obviously she is unaware of it untill it happens, she's a very big dog so its quite a problem. I'm constantly mopping up after her but the problem is getting worse, can anyone give any practical advice?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Canine incontinence is common.
    It can be hormones, it can be disease, or it can be behavioural. It's difficult to say. Any changed around the time that it started to happen? Leaving her indoors more often/for longer? New additions to the family?
    Surely your vet must have recommended something, or taken a urine sample?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

No change in family life, this started irregularly about 18mths ago, now its constant. Molly still opens door to go out when she realises she needs to but often does'nt know she's "done it" till its too late. She even opens the door for our other dog when he needs out so its not as if she's being lazy or anything, aside from this she's as good as gold, gets into the car, goes for a run every day, Vet has not suggested taking samples, he reckons its just old age catching up, He's been our Vet for 20yrs and I've always trusted him, Don't want to let Molly go any time soon as she's brilliant in every other way but really need to find an answer to this. I've tried letting her out every 30minutes in the evening & taking her out for shorter walks more often at night but its still happening???

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Did he spay her too?
    You can get pills for it (With mixed results)...but, really, you must talk to a vet about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭gypsygirl

Naw, he didn't spay her, she was spayed when I got her, will check out the pills idea tomorrow, she's a fantastic dog so I really need to sort this out before it gets any worse, the other dog is beginning to think "if its ok for her to do it it must be ok for me" Not funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could be anything or could just be her age I wouldn't think of 9 as being old for a dog but I guess it's over middle aged so things can go wrong.
    Mabey a vet can put some sutures in to support the bladder, there are also pants you can get for dogs (brand name is Mikki I think pet bliss stock it but not sure) in the mean time although I don't know how effective they are.
    It's a tough one, you are better off having another chat with the vet to get some ideas explain how bad the dog is and that you would like to see if there is anything that can be done.
    Mabey a second opinion too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement