Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mileage recallibration ?

Options
  • 25-04-2006 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

hi guys,
    not sure about this at all so thought i would ask here and see if anyone can help me out,
    i have a 04 reg van,it has 95 k on it and suffered engine failure,

luckily because of warranty it have the entire engine replaced without cost to me,
    when it was in i also had brand new tie rods fitted and the entire brake system refitted with all new parts,
    so my question is,
    seeing as entire new engine fitted and bearing in mind the other work being done is it legal to reset mileage ?,
    the body is immaculate and no marks or scratches,
    i guess it might not be legal and if not then i willjust leave as is,
    would be interested in your replies though guys,
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

It is not illegal to tamper with the mileage of your own vehicle whenever you want, it is illegal to try to sell it as a specific mileage if that is not correct.

Morally I would say changing it and selling it on would make you a scumbag, new engine and immaculate body or not. But you aren't going to do that now are you?

Then again the only use I can see for clocking the car is to sell it at an inflated price based on a lie. If you are going to keep it yourself or tell buyers about it's correct history then what would the point be?

If it has done 100k in two years it will show internal signs of high mileage anyway so if you tried to pass it off as low mileage anyone in the know would be suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

REset the mileage to what number exactly.

Hate to say this, but you do not add €2000 of value to a vehicle by spending 2k on a new engine and bits.

and if anything, I'd much prefer to have a new body and a scrap engine than a new engine and a scrap body.
    So I'm afraid your best option is leave the odometer exactly as is and consider, would you have spent whatever the new engine cost, if YOU have to spend the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wizard wrote:
    hi guys,
    not sure about this at all so thought i would ask here and see if anyone can help me out,
    i have a 04 reg van,it has 95 k on it and suffered engine failure,

luckily because of warranty it have the entire engine replaced without cost to me,
    when it was in i also had brand new tie rods fitted and the entire brake system refitted with all new parts,
    so my question is,
    seeing as entire new engine fitted and bearing in mind the other work being done is it legal to reset mileage ?,
    the body is immaculate and no marks or scratches,
    i guess it might not be legal and if not then i willjust leave as is,
    would be interested in your replies though guys,
    thanks in advance

The rest of the components in the van still have 95k miles worth of wear and tear on them, ie gear box, steering rack, etc. So resetting the clock is giving a false reading of use on the vehicle which in turn would (whether that was the intention or not) increase the value of the van under false pretences.

The best thing to do is keep any maintenance/repair documentation and produce this when selling the van.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Agree with all above. Leave as is. But whats the story with people offering milage correction in Buy and Sell. Surely this is wrong!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Wizard

thanks a million for your replies guys,
    i thought as much,
    i was thinking of it for a trade in as i normally change every 2 years to keep warranty valid,
    methinks i should keep this one for another year or two seeing as the engine and such has been done,
    hopefully i will be lucky and not have any troubles,
    thanks for your quick responses guys,
    and i agree about the ads in buy and sell,
    thats how i thought about it !

• Advertisement
Advertisement