Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thing you miss most about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

dave2pvd wrote:
    Oh, to the person who ended up in Florida: I'm so sorry. I agree that it's (mostly) overrated. And completely boring. The best parts of this country are the parts that the tourists don't even think of visiting.

Dave
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, I was actually raised here (in Florida). Born in Rhode Island and moved to Florida when I was 8 years old--didn't like it then, hate it now, and unfortunately don't really remember Rhode Island all too well. :( I moved to Scotland to go to school, met my husband, moved to Ireland to live with him, and then moved back to Florida. :p

Been to Atlanta a couple times...it's massive!!

Anyway, as of a couple weeks ago, looks like we'll now be moving to Donegal within the next year!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Well, I was actually raised here (in Florida)......we'll now be moving to Donegal within the next year!!!! :D

Brrrrr! Don't forget to buy wooly jumpers!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

yup yup same here in VA, no air conditioning, two box fans blowing 24 hour's. I have 2 dog's which I brought with me from home and they are feeling it real bad lol, keep them groomed as best I can but they never leave the fans and keep putting ice in their water, I bet if they could talk they would be saying why did you leave cold wet Ireland mommy, have to keep them indoor's because yard is not fenced and aside from that we have skunk's, oppossum, groundhog's, coyote, snakes and bears.

I miss a good fry up with real butter dripping off the lovely Brennans bread.
    I miss soda bread with Chiver's raspberry jam.
    I miss Lyons tea.
    I miss Cheese and Onion Tayto.
    I miss Gadbury's purple snack's.
    I miss the Sunday Roast with bisto gravy hmmm.
    I miss the Guinness.
    I miss the pubs and craic and most of all the sing song.
    I miss hearing the god awful Limerick accent.
    I miss hearing our saying's.
    I miss Benson and Hedge's.
    I miss being able to walk into the city and everything being so near.
    I miss sitting outside the Locke Bar on a summer's day chatting with friends.
    I miss heading to the pub on friday evening after a weeks work.

I had my cousin send out some Chef Brown Sauce, Birds Custard and Knorr Parsley Sauce. Made the Southener's Trifle with me custard they could'nt get enough of it.

In saying all that the things I do love here in the countryside of VA are Lightening bug's, thousands of them at night, the Crickets are cool to hear and all the wild Deer we have here that wonder right up to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I miss:

- the scenery i.e. the mountains behind my old room, and the seaside being a 5min walk away (im from Wicklow)
    - the smoking ban.
    - the family cat.
    - the drinking water.
    - my Mum :(

...good thing im heading home for the weekend :)

dave2pvd wrote:
    Brrrrr! Don't forget to buy wooly jumpers!
    Will do! When I moved to Aberdeen from Florida, I was totally unprepared and had to buy a whole new wardrobe just to stay warm and dry! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

My box of cheese n' onion has not come yet, I've been waiting 2 weeks. *holds stomach* :)

Ruu wrote:
    My box of cheese n' onion has not come yet, I've been waiting 2 weeks. *holds stomach* :)
    We're just about ready for a new bottle of brown sauce and some proper Cadbury's chocolate...hope my mother-in-law is in a good mood today. :D

We're just about ready for a new bottle of brown sauce and some proper Cadbury's chocolate...hope my mother-in-law is in a good mood today. :D

I take it Hersheys is not good enough? *makes sick gesture* :)

Ruu wrote:
    I take it Hersheys is not good enough? *makes sick gesture* :)
    Hershey's is ok if you don't mind chocolate flavoured chalk. :p

Have you tried Dove? Dove is nice (not quite as nice as Cadbury's), though a bit too sweet at times.

Dove is pretty tasty, silky feeling, not hard to eat. :)

• Advertisement

Well just booked my flights going home (Ireland) for a week in November, its going to be very hard to come back here I feel. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

What is Ruuritania like in November anyway?;)

Well it lashes down here in November so fairly similar to Ireland but can't wait to get back home all the same. :)

Ruu wrote:
    Well just booked my flights going home (Ireland) for a week in November, its going to be very hard to come back here I feel. :(
    Yay, Ruu! How wonderful! Aidan and I are going back in December...and while we're there, we're going to be looking at potential places to live in and around Donegal! I'm so excited! :)

Any chance you and the missus will ever move back to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Myself and my wife are going back to Galway for a week for christmas as well. I still havent booked the tickets as they are pricey at the moment, 630 dollars each. I am hoping that aer lingus have some specials next month.

We cant wait and when i told my parents they were over the moon. Ireland is class at xmas.

So did you get the EAD problem sorted out yet melissa. Its a crazy system if you guys moved back to ireland next week you would get a work permit within a week.

galwaydude wrote:
    Myself and my wife are going back to Galway for a week for christmas as well. I still havent booked the tickets as they are pricey at the moment, 630 dollars each. I am hoping that aer lingus have some specials next month.

We cant wait and when i told my parents they were over the moon. Ireland is class at xmas.

So did you get the EAD problem sorted out yet melissa. Its a crazy system if you guys moved back to ireland next week you would get a work permit within a week.

eiretamicha, anything could happen and I wouldn't rule it out. I didn't like seeing the headline on rte.is today though. "Average house price €400,000 euro", nearly made me sick. :)

Remember galwaydude, American Airlines now do a separate flight to Dublin (so check out aa.com) as well as the Aer Lingus one daily, we got ours from $889 dollars for both of us return, leaving Chicago (11-17th of November.) You might have to stop off in Heathrow but might be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Thanx ruu.I will check them out too. Hope you have a good time back in ireland. I know exactly how it is if you havent been home in a while. But its all home. That was a great deal you got it for with AA.

Ye i couldnt believe that the average house is now 400k, luckily we got in when the time was right when we bought our house last year in galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Little bit surprised here guys. You seem to be missing out on some staple food items.

1) Jacobs' Jaffa Cakes
    2) Yoplait Strawberry Yoghurt
    3) Chef Tomato Ketchup &
    4) King Cheese & Onion (Tayto a close but definite second)

Hmm... reckon I'll be pushing my 20kg baggage allowance on my next trip home :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

Irish Whiskey...makes you a good headbanger! :D

galwaydude wrote:

His EAD was mailed to us, and then returned as undeliverable! Ahhhh! Ya can imagine how upset Aidan was. :( Anyway, we called the (mis)information line and asked for it to be resent, but we've got an Infopass appt set for August 10th just in case they don't resend it. :p

Definitely check out aer-lingus.com; there's flights leaving from JFK to Dublin for as low as $300 each. Not bad. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Samhildanach

Superquinn Coleslaw
    Decent Chocolate (Only Snickers, Kitkat (doesn't taste the same) M&Ms and Dove here)
    Brown Bread
    Cakes made with REAL CREAM (only that Chantilly crap here)

Malteasers.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭isolde

i just miss the people, the way people speak, the way people are... i live between england and germany and feel more foreign in england than germany sometimes... "what was that?" "what did you say?"...

... and irish guys

... and tayto and red lemonade :)

isolde wrote:
    i just miss the people, the way people speak, the way people are... i live between england and germany and feel more foreign in england than germany sometimes... "what was that?" "what did you say?"...

... and irish guys

... and tayto and red lemonade :)

TK ftw! Get your folks to ship a box of crisps over to you, it really helps. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

I just got a box of Butlers chocolates by FedEx from Ireland for my b-day.
    Yummm now all i need is some Lyons tea :)

I couldn't do without Lyons, no way. I'd be home in a shot if I didn't find it. :)

"So you left your last job in America, why was that?"
    "Can you believe it they had NO LYONS TEA!"
    "Good God man, get some tea into ya!"

:)

I have only one Lyons tea bag left, saved for an emergency/crisis :D

Ah not good, get the folks to ship a box or two over to you. :)

Ruu wrote:
    Ah not good, get the folks to ship a box or two over to you. :)

Yeah i was a tad disapointed they didn't send them with the birthday chocolate but beggars can't be chosers :)

• Advertisement

Where abouts are you? I have the folks send over crisps and sweets twice a month, in the US for now but will be home a wee bit in November, looking forward to it more each day. :)

Advertisement