Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The thing you miss most about Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

So good i saw this, im heading to france for the year on the 23rd. Probably gonna miss the expensive nights out, over priced food, stuck up women* and lovely bouncers.
    Definetly gonne bring some lyons tea with me and a kettle, semeingly they dont have em on the continent. Oh coincidently im heading to Lyon in France, hmm ironic. :D

*huge generalisation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah you'll have the snooty French to put up with *haw haw haw*. :) Have a safe trip.

Yeah and the great unshaven women also (so i heard) yeah they are real tight asses, gonna be two days late for a language and cultural course and im not getting credits for it (heading for college) the course is 3weeks intesive!!argh!!:mad:
    Yeah bit dodgy with the aul terror threat today in london, very dodgy. Il be flying through there, fun fun ahead
    also im not worried about the french! theyl have to put up with me! not the other way around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭girldef

Ruu wrote:
    Where abouts are you? I have the folks send over crisps and sweets twice a month, in the US for now but will be home a wee bit in November, looking forward to it more each day. :)

Vancouver
    The auld pair are comign over next month with promises of tea :)
    Have only been gone 3 - 4 months so can't complain.
    Definately miss the pub scene though, am a bit sick of the added tax (x2) and tip malarkey.
    Make sure you go on a session when you get back!

Never touched a sip of alcohol in all my life, some Irishman wha? :) I do go out but not as much as I used to being an ex-DJ but miss the old faces as I came from a small town in Meath. Aye the tip thing is a messer probably because I'm fierce tight with money. :D

• Advertisement

Bah i cant stand guinness, prefer my canadian beer :)
    I presume everyone misses there family, il miss mine im sure. How do you guys cope with homesickness?

Messenger and email get rid of any homesickness (or else im just a cold cold person :) )

Agreed hate Guinness too!! what sorta Irish folk are we??

Yeah im gonna have to try set up skype before i head, thatl be the easy part! Teaching em how to use it will be another kettle of fish all together :rolleyes: im just presumung il be homesick..unless i find a nice french lady ;)

I use Skype too to call landlines back in Eire. It may save teaching some old dogs new tricks.
    It is really cheap. My blokie (a frenchie none the less) put ten euros in his account a few months ago and with us both using it to call mobiles and landlines it is only wasted now.
    The quality can be a bit crap though.

heres something that may save you a few bob :) my mate recommended it to me, havent used it myself yet. : http://www.voipbuster.com/

mate is gonna use it in france to ring his folks so he wont have to teach em how to use skype

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, looked class but... am using a mac :( and it is not supported at all.
    Otherwise looks pretty good! Free calls to Ireland and French landlines. Will pass it on :)

Sweet! Just got a macbook there the other day ^_^ still figuring it out, so skype is compatiable!! woot

Yep it is sweet but the web cam doesn't work with MSN or the new Skype :(
    Can't win them all.

Anyway good luck with frogland!!!

Night Night

ribbit ribbit, if french girls kiss me il turn into a handsome prince i promise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I hadn't thought about leaving the country, but reading this thread, I'm definitley not leaving now. Too many things I can't live without. Kerrygold, Lyons, Barrys and Bewleys, Tayto, good Guinness, Brennans, Duffys or Milford bread, curry chips, fresh milk and floury spuds. Especially all at the same time:D
    Sorry if I've made it worse for all of ye. At least you mightn't have the silly prices wherever you are:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

il gatto wrote:
    I hadn't thought about leaving the country, but reading this thread, I'm definitley not leaving now. Too many things I can't live without. Kerrygold, Lyons, Barrys and Bewleys, Tayto, good Guinness, Brennans, Duffys or Milford bread, curry chips, fresh milk and floury spuds. Especially all at the same time:D
    Sorry if I've made it worse for all of ye. At least you mightn't have the silly prices wherever you are:)

Thankfully, despite badly missing many of the little things from home, there are many other things in far flung places than can more than make up for such losses.

And I'm not just talking about proper Mexican food. ;)

dave2pvd wrote:
    Thankfully, despite badly missing many of the little things from home, there are many other things in far flung places than can more than make up for such losses.

And I'm not just talking about proper Mexican food. ;)

Touche:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

il gatto wrote:
    Too many things I can't live without. Kerrygold, Lyons, Barrys and Bewleys, Tayto, good Guinness, Brennans, Duffys or Milford bread, curry chips, fresh milk and floury spuds...
    Will Sir be requiring a defribilator with that?

I agree with the subsequent poster - I've found more and better things when working abroad to make up for what I was missing at home.

The one thing that makes me proud about being Irish is our almost inate ability to 'go native' when abroad, especially on holiday. I remember being in Morocco about 10 years ago, all the Brits were whinging about the lack of Fish 'n' Chip shops, while us Pads were hunting down the small little all-night Morocan Music Clubs where we were always welcomed with open arms after a required number of knocks on the back door, mainly due to the *huge* amount of drink we'd consume and how eager our 'wimmen' were to jump up on stage and bellydance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

b/f
    Friends
    Family (sometimes a lot, other times not)
    Guinness (fresh brewed in Dub)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I'm going to miss M&S and the quality street performers on Grafton Street. I'm not going to miss the crap ones. I'll also miss Bulmers..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

daiixi wrote:
    I'm going to miss M&S and the quality street performers on Grafton Street. I'm not going to miss the crap ones. I'll also miss Bulmers..
    Oh jeez...I miss Bulmers, too. :(

Haha, I remember the very first time I was in Ireland and someone introduced me to Bulmers (had never had cider before, was mainly a vodka kinda girl ;) ), and to me, it was just sooooo good--like fizzy applejuice! Anyway, the barman asked me if I wanted a glass and I said no, I'd just drink it out of the bottle. He gave me a funny look but gave me the bottle anyway. Had no clue why people were giving me side-glances all night long. :p

Didn't find out until almost 2 years later when my husband kindly informed me that ladies, for the most part, don't drink cider out of big ugly bottles, lol. :o

I can't believe how much I miss it over there. By the time we move back, I'll have not been in a real pub for almost 2 years. I hope these next 8 months go by quickly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

daiixi wrote:

Living in London so get the rebadged "Magners" over here (the name Bulmers is owned by Strongbow and what is sold in the UK as "Bulmers" is definitely not the same as at home)

Only problem is that with the heatwave this summer there's a nationwide shortage of the stuff :eek:

eiretamicha, your husband is obviously from a classier part of the country than me. The "ladies" would drink Bulmers out of an old boot around here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

il gatto wrote:
    eiretamicha, your husband is obviously from a classier part of the country than me. The "ladies" would drink Bulmers out of an old boot around here :D
    LOL, believe it or not, the pub that I was getting the funny looks was in the itty bitty town of Ballydavid, in Co. Kerry! Go figure!

Hubby's town (in Tyrone) is definitely not what I'd call "classy", but the girls sure seem to be. Always nicely dressed (never could understand why women would get all dressed up just to go grocery shopping!), had their hair done, make-up, nice shoes, etc. I swear I musta stuck out like a sore thumb--me in my fuzzy hat and scarf, big warm coat, always in jeans and sneakers (or trainers or slippers, whatever you call them) and couldn't tell you what hair straighteners looked like if my life depended on it, lol. :p

Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't care what she's drinking out of as long as it's good drink! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

dont uz all miss going into a typical irish home and people trying to make u drink tea as if their life depended on it. them kind of homes that ALWAYS put the kettlr on and get the choco digestives out!

only in ireland!!

A decent bag of chips! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

We booked our trip back to ireland last night from december 16th till 27th. We cannot wait. It will be weird been back in ireland again.

Oh and i cant wait to have a proper bulmers again. Strongbow overhere just isnt the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

When I lived in Oz, all I could think of was Ice-Cold Diet Club Orange, and tayto crisps...

galwaydude wrote:
    We booked our trip back to ireland last night from december 16th till 27th. We cannot wait. It will be weird been back in ireland again.

Oh and i cant wait to have a proper bulmers again. Strongbow overhere just isnt the same.

Have fun back at home, I know it will be hard for me. Hopefully I can manage to go back. :)

• Advertisement

Between the prices and the weather, it might not be so hard :D

Advertisement